2018 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Love Stella Blue, mah Subaru <3
By Linda G

2018 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

There are TWO things about Stella that I wish I could change: the USB ports in the console are a pain to access! Second, the talk-to-text (so that's Bluetooth I guess) is not very accurate, so I have pretty much stopped even trying to use it. Other than that - I love my Stella Blue. She has Eyesight, cross-traffic warning (which is awesome when you are backing out of a space in a busy parking lot - humans walking, even small ones, will also trigger her to alert me) and lane departure warning are terrific - am SO GLAD I decided that these safety technologies were a must when I was looking at Foresters. I didn't realize it but her foglights turn on and off as needed to help me see better as the road changes ahead (hills/curves) and this is also an EXCELLENT feature. There is a good amount of cargo space and this was the only AWD SUV which has enough leg/head room to comfortably seat my 6'7" partner in crime. This is my first car with heated seats and I will do my best to never live without this again. My previous car, a Toyota Corolla S, had been rear-ended and my back was hurting after 20 minutes of my 50-minute commute - until I got Stella. The heated lumbar support was HEAVENLY. Sure I wish the bumper-to-bumper warrantee was more than 36 months/36,000 miles but - oh well. Steering/handling is a bit stodgier than my Corolla S but Stella is a considerably larger, heavier vehicle. I have zero complaints though, she moves as I need her to, and the AWD has performed well in heavy rain/snowy conditions. Fuel economy? From 10-20K my average was 33.3 mpg - I'd say my city:highway driving ratio is 40:60, and I am a pretty chill driver, so I may do better with fuel economy than many, but that's better fuel economy than I got with my 2011 Corolla S! Her exterior is very attractive, the Quartz Blue Pearl color gets me SOOOOOO many compliments. The interior is comfy and attractive also. I'll never willingly part with her, but I certainly would recommend others look at Subaru Foresters (but definitely get the Eyesight/adaptive cruise control and other safety features, WELL worth the money).

Oh my aching leg...
By jackie J

2018 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I love my 2018 Forester except for one MAJOR problem....driving long distances. Let me start from the beginning. I am newly retired but prior to that I have driven long distances to work. The greatest being 50 miles one way. The car that I had prior to my Forester was a Suzuki SX4 small SUV. I drove this car to my new home which was a 5 1/2 hour drive a few times, to and from work (the 50 miles) for 2 years and NEVER had problem. Now, I rarely drive long distance except to visit friends and family. Here's the major problem, after about 1/2 hour of driving, the back of my right leg above the knee starts to throb. After about 1 hour the pain is so severe if I am not on cruise control, I need to stop and walk around to ease the pain. I have no idea why this happening. I have tried changing the height of the seat which did not work. I did buy one of those large purple seat cushions which helps a little but it did not eliminate the pain. The seats of the Forester are shorter in the seat. Maybe this is the problem.

Great except the sun roof leaks
By dawn jones

2018 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my Forester a few months. I love everything about it except that I've been told NOT to take through a high pressured car wash as the sunroof leaks. Actually rained in my car. I have pictures of that and damage it did to the cover of the sunroof. I took it in and they didn't get it to leak with a hose. They said the seals were good, that this was COMMON and not to take it through a car wash. I found that a bit odd. Called corporate and they said if they can't duplicate the problem at service they won't fix it. Anyone know a service that has a high pressure car wash? Me either. Not happy.

Traded in my 2009 Cadillac CTS for 2018 Forrester
By Brad K.

2018 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I owned a 2009 Cadillac CTS. Nice looking car but it hurt my legs, back and neck. A nightmare to run errands in. My son had a 2009 Forrester which I borrowed to drive when I visited on vacation. I fell in love with his Forrester . It had great viability, lots of pickup and tons of room for me and my wife. I traded my Cadillac for a 2018 Forrester. That weekend I drove it out of sate and back for more than 500 miles. On the instant average I got up to 32.8 MPG. I thought the gas gauge was broken but it was not. It uses like 9 gallons of gas. I was shocked. I listened to songs on my iPhone on the radio. I set the climate control and was kept at the perfect temperature. The front seat was large and comfortable. My wife and I could stretch out and be conformable on the trip. I was able to open the front drivers door and jump right out. What a saving on my back. The first time my wife drive we were hit with a large rain down pour. The all wheel drive kept the car planted and gave us both piece of mind in such bad driving conditions. BTW, I purchased the Premium model. Some after thoughts. I think the car needs automatic door locks. I wish I had spent the extra money on the Isight system. Its truly remarkable. I am 60 years old and expect to get many years of service from this great vehicle.

Low oil light
By Bill Dow

2018 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

If you purchase the Manuel transmission you need to keep replacement oil in your vehicle. Your vehicle will start running low about halfway between oil changes. Haven’t needed to check my oil this often since the ‘70s. Other than this problem, love the vehicle, great value.