2017 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

4th Subaru and still in love
By Judy Persico

2017 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We currently own 2 Subaru’s and love them both! We useVictory Subaru for all service needs. The staff is so accommodating and helpful.

Great gas mileage and visibility
By Cheryl

2017 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have had for 2 years. The tires wore out at 27,0000 miles. Still trying to get used to the CVT(continuous variable transmission). I find the seat uncomfortable for long distance driving. I do love the heated seats. I love the gas mileage and the ability to see well all around with little to no blind spots. My phone does not hook up to the blue tooth well and I have to remove and add almost every time I get in the car. It handles well on the road ,but in wintery weather, not so much. It is very peppy and accelerates quickly , which is great. In freezing rain ,the windshield being so large,it does not completely clear the ice around the window edges, despite the defrost on high. I left the keys in the ignition to later find out it drained my battery because the lights stay on when the the keys are in the ignition. I had the lights in auto so not sure if this happens when the lights aren't in auto. Because Subaru holds its value and has a very good safety rating I would most likely consider another Subaru in the future.

Needs oil often
By L

2017 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2017 Subaru Forester in the summer of 2018. First time owner of a Subaru. For the past two years, I did extensive research and reviews on the Forester and the Outback. However, I sure missed the reviews about how horrible the Subaru is on oil consumption. So far I've had to take the vehicle to the service department once for engine rattling, and then two other time times because my oil light suddenly lights up to let me know that I need oil! This happened at just under a month of purchasing the vehicle and again 5 weeks later. When I've taken the vehicle into the dealership, they check the dip stick and guess what? There is no oil in the engine! The service manager (on my 3rd trip to the service) gives me a handout about how the boxer engines burn more oil.

Update: I recently traded in the 2017 Forester for a 2019 Outback 2.5i and I'm one happy Subaru owner!

Very disappointed in Forester - CVT, PZEV, other
By P. Laffin

2017 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru has a great reputation for safety and its all-wheel drive. So far, so good, but it lacks in so many other areas and the CVT transmission and the PZEV add-on are horrible. Subaru just issued an extended warranty on the CVT transmission when they should have issued a recall. This vehicle jumps into gear from a stop, and some have reported it stalling while stopped on hills. Even on level surfaces in parking lots our Forester sometimes rolls backwards. This is an accident waiting to happen. A couple of times, the eyesight feature failed to notice a car in the blind spot. Other problems include a back seat that is like sitting on a board, a tiny useless console that is impossible to reach if the seat is pushed forward for a shorter driver, 2 ridiculous drink holders that don't adjust much for different sizes (water or pop bottles rattle around in them but large travel mugs won't fit at all), and a navigation system that is frustrating to use and takes a zillion steps to program. I'm about ready to go look at a different make of vehicle. On the plus side, it has great visibility and is easy to enter and get out of.

Poor first experience from Subaru.
By Matt

2017 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had really high hopes for this vehicle, it being the first *new* car I've owned. Sadly it was a complete disappointment. The safety features are solid however, here are the areas it fails miserably. Transmission: Incredibly sluggish for a CVT. the gearing designed to simulate actual shifting is terrible. It is so awful that at low speeds the vehicle will jerk you around rather than driving smoothly because it can't decide if you are driving in its fake 2nd or fake 3rd gears. Additionally it appears that the transmission either slips or cannot decide whether it is time to engage when you hit the gas suddenly from a stand still. This is particularly dangerous if you need to accelerate in order to avoid a collision. Interior: The ventilation system is cheap. I had my vehicle detailed professionally about a month after purchase, during this detailing the vent direction adjusters snapped off. When questioned about what happened the professional showed me on one of them how easily they came off. At first he didn't realize that they were breaking and assumed that they detached easily. Air Conditioning system is incredibly weak. When questioned about why the system performed so poorly, the dealer explained that they made it weaker so they could try and get more mpg. Seriously if it's in the upper 90's outside you're going to be sweating in this car. Within the two years of owning the vehicle I have had to get an entire seat bottom replaced because the seat belt/airbag interlock was somehow shot. Apparently the system is so sensitive to moisture that high humidity can cause it to fail. A car seat should be expected to withstand a certain amount of moisture, especially so with one geared toward the Outdoorsy types. Electronics: The Bluetooth interface is slow, unrefined, and honestly looks like a failed app developer created it. Whoever tried to make this work needs to find a different career path, my nephew has built more user friendly interfaces in Minecraft.