Used 1999 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Love my scooby!

dirtyru, 02/25/2011

This car is a blast to drive. Handles like a true rally car in the curves! With the AWD, it handles exceptionally well off road. I honestly believe that this car handles/ drives even smoother in the rain! 154,000 miles and still counting! I have the S model, which on here says it's a manual, but i do infact have the crafty automatic. The leather interior has held up greatly & the seat warmers come in handy on those brisk mornings. Getting rid of my car & having this vehicle has truely inspired me to make it a point to get out of the office & enjoy the outdoors. It's the perfect utility vehicle that also doubles as an economical, every day driver. I hope to keep this for a looong time!

Still rolling thru Snow and Ice!

Goldie Dreyer, 11/30/2016
S 4dr Wagon AWD

Sally my subaru has been a trooper. I bought at her in 2010 with 115,000 miles and now have 215,000 miles on her. We go everywhere from freeways to off road. My mechanic patiently fixes her oil leaks, a common problem with Subarus, I understand. I make sure I check the oil every fuel fillup. Engine works great, mileage is roughly 21 mpg, combined highway and city. I have replaced brakes, all 4 axles-its a necessary maintenance item with AWD to have them checked periodicly. I bought really good tires at 185,000 miles since I plan to drive her until 300,000. Some rust developing around rear wheel wells, and rusty under carriage. This year I had to replace front shocks at 210 K miles. Overall, a fantastic buy. I will buy another Subaru and keep Sally for my grandkids.

Excellent car

Mike1983, 02/27/2006

The Forester is a very well built car. It's very well designed, inside and out. It runs very smoothly and quietly even with 100k+ miles. Very good sound reduction inside the vehicle. Handles great, feels very solid. Neat gadgets like heated outside mirrors, windshield wipers, and rear quarter windows.

Is the engine problem fixed?

Renee, 02/14/2006

I replaced the head gaskets @ 70k, they started seeping again @100k. Subaru sent out a letter to all owners about the seeping head gaskets and to fix it, you have to add a additive to your antifreeze every time you flush your radiator. This seeping problem is starting to affect my pistons. I've replaced everything around the engine. I have 150k on it now, and with this piston problem, I'm not sure if I should buy another Subaru. I love everything else about it, but am concerned about sinking a ton of money into a new one, as I have with this one. I've replaced a couple of wheel bearings, both axles, all 4 struts & mounts, radiator, heater blower & the air sensor twice.

LOVE my Forester!

problemcat13, 08/10/2006

I LOVE my Forester! I put 15k miles a year on it, and I drive it hard! 5 speed and the engine pulls great. I had one problem, the headgasket, but it was covered under the service bulletin/warranty to 100k. I currently have 112k miles and this car is great. I really enjoy it. Reliable, fun, but maybe a little small for a family of four. Stereo/tape was lousy, I replaced it with an OEM 6-CD changer from a Subaru WRX for $100. MPG: if I drive hard (wide open throttle) I get 21.4, if I set cruise at the speed limit, 28.4. AWD uses more gas but is a blast to drive spirited! We miss our other Subaru (95 Legacy) and plan to purchase another when we can. I'm so glad I got this vehicle.

12345...11