Skip to main content

Save as much as $2,078
Select your trim:
12345...9

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Fantastic engine, sketchy CVT

Joe Mama, 01/02/2021
2021 Subaru Ascent Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Pros: 2.4L Turbo engine. A far less spartan interior than Subarus are known for. Great head and legroom. Mostly quiet ride. Limited on up trims provide a manual mode with paddle shifters. Definitely a must for slow speeds and stop and go traffic. Cons: 20" wheels with 245/50 tires are harsh riding. A hesitant and indecisive CVT squanders the power band of the engine. Touchscreen is primitive, circa 2015. Annoying, too bright indicators for the compass and passenger airbags.

Covid and age

Thomas Beck, 11/02/2020
updated 11/03/2022
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Covid and age limited my driving the past two years. I have just 14,000 miles on this car. My Ascent has been trouble free, looks good and nice to drive. The negatives I have is the transmission (CVT) with unnatural shifting gears and the gas mileage. I get 18-19 around town and expected better. But it works well on regular grade gasoline. The interior looks like it should be in a Mercedes. I’m happy with my choice. Best 3 row SUV for the price.

Love it but !!

1hammer1, 03/14/2021
updated 09/16/2021
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is the best handling and rideing suv that I have ever owned ( this is our 9th Subaru ) 2021 Subaru Ascent touring ( BUT ) The front passinger seat has no up and down ajustment ( strange for a high end touring ) And it is just plain noisey lots of wind and road noise And only a 19.2 gas tank (REALLY) WHY? and with a turbo that really sucks the gasoline and the front seat bottoms are too hard & firm for a long trip. I really wish that I could give this Subaru Ascent 5 stars but I can not, When going down the interstate @ 65mph we ( my wife and I ) Can not hear and understand the radio and barely each other just a bunch of noise because of the road and wind noise (SAD ) for almost $50,000 so as a loyal Subaru owner I only give ( 4 stars ) and because of the above I am trying out other brands now, I demand good ride and comfort AND QUIET. PS. This is not our 1st ascent our 1st ascent was a 2019 touring I traded it for the 2021 touring because of the ( Ulgy brown interior colors ) to the 2021 ascent black interior that we have now and love, the Subaru's that we have owned (9) have all been the most dependable vehicles that we have ever owned in our 49 years of marriage out of the (9) -- NONE HAVE EVER BEEN REPAIRED-- I can not say that for all the BRAND NEW Fords and GM's that we have owned during our 49 years of marriage. NOTE TO SUBARU: Why not get you act together and fix these problems so we can keep being a loyal customer.

2023 Subaru Ascent
At a Glance:
  • 4 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • 4 Packages
  • $33,895starting MSRP
BUILD & PRICESubaru.com
*MSRP excludes destination and delivery charges, tax, title, and registration fees. Retailer sets actual price. Certain equipment may be required in specific states, which can modify your MSRP. See your retailer for details. 2023 Subaru Ascent Onyx Edition Limited shown has an MSRP of $46,295.

Best all around SUV for 6+ passengers

marcevan, 11/19/2020
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Safety First - Top rated IIHS vehicle! Price - disingenuous to compare to Kia and Hyundai who demand +$5-$8k over MSRP while Subaru is typically 8-10% under MSRP. Might as well compare those to a Volvo XC90 R-Design at that rate. Drive - Tighter than Toyota Highlander but not as tight as Mazda, but in the Mazda you sit lower and have less visibility. Great without stressing the gas due to high torque and pleasant on the highway. Standard AWD/ABS and X-Mode means Winter is no no concern. Cannot say that about the comparative SUVs where you have to pay more for AWD. 3rd row seats - I have no idea why they keep saying this is for kids. I'm 6'1" and can hang back there for trips of 30miles or so with no complaints. Sunroof - blocks 95% of UV rays btw Mileage - after CVT breaks in around 1k mileage you will see rated city and highway claims. Infotainment - Can only speak for trim I got, 8" is fine and it's responsive. I love the Harmon Kardon speakers and bluetooth from phone is great (not so great in Android Auto or Car Play mode). Navigation is TomTom and substandard to either Google or Apple maps. Seating - Did the 6 passenger 2 + 2 + 2 (back row really is only 2 adults) and heated and vented seating in front is awesome! Heated 2nd row is loved by kids. Typically we have 3rd row down and have ~47 Cubic feet of storage so zero complaints there.

Love it!

Don Wilmot, 08/17/2021
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned Suburban's since 1975, usually bought a new one every three years or 90,000 miles. I also own a 2019 Outback. Been looking at the Ascent for two years, finally made the plunge three months ago. My only negative is range before refueling; I average 20 to 22MPG combination city/hwy (calculated by doing the math miles driven vs gas consumption). On straight highway driving at 75 MPH I'm getting 22-23 MPG (calculated). Mind you, I'm comparing the ride and handling to a Suburban. Is it different......Yes, but a Suburban weighs 2000LBS more and has a much longer wheelbase. I love driving the Ascent and have no negative issues other than range. My Suburban had a 31.5 gas tank giving a comfortable range of 550 miles compared to 400 miles on my Ascent. I read all the negative reviews, I totally disagree with most of them. I have not had any mechanical issues in the first 5000 miles.

12345...9