Used 2006 Scion xA Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion xA

View reviews for a specific xA model:

We love our xA
By Ted F

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have approximately 2000 miles so far. Primarily used on the highway at 65-75 mph. Vehicle tacs between 3300-3700 rpm at those speeds but still rides quiet and smooth. A 6th gear would be great. Vehicle handles sweet. Very much please with all aspects so far. Highway/city mpg combined average nets us 36-39, just what I wanted. I know on a long road trip (mostly highway) I will exceed 40 mpg. Stereo and standard pw and doorlocks are great. For the price Scion had more options than the 4dr Yaris. Very pleased again with our decision. Had to minimize the gas and oil companies impact on my wallet. It is just transportation to and from work. Time for all to change!

Gas mileage. Fits into any parking spot. Zipping around. Smooth and quiet ride. Smoother than my 02 tacoma and quieter ride that our 99 Astro. Wife just calls it her cute little car. She loves it also.

Sixth gear would probably increase gas mileage into the 50-55 mpg or better. I do understand it would have a bogging effect if in cruise and only tacing 2200 rpm, but if on the open highway with no hills this vehicle would handly compete withthe hybrid. I will be installing an armrest.

One Word - AWESOME!
By ellisdustin

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle in March 07 with 26000 miles on it. Got a great deal! At first was a little skeptical about spacing, moving down from a Toyota Matrix, but now we love it. My wife and I carry stuff all the time and that does not hinder its performance. Gas mileage is not as rated, but great anyway. Toyota hit it right on the money when they designed this line. This car is awesome in every way. Roomy interior, comfortable seats, best stock sound system I have heard in a vehicle. This car can handle anything and I have the most fun driving it of any other vehicle.

Audio system, great gas mileage, doesn't falter any with 2 people and being fully loaded, build quality of vehicle, fold down seats, center gauges, rear wiper, turn signals on side and in mirrors, can't put it all here.

More storage space, maybe a standard or upgradeable center console. Getting a little closer to window sticker ratings.

Great Car
By dxt178

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Going on two years with my xA and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Sporty for what it is, great traction in snow and saves money at the pump. Rear seat could use a tad more leg room and fuel tank placement limits space for storage. I do regularly haul two 11' kayaks on a roof rack, and have transported my share of 8' 2x4s with the rear hatch fully closed. Everyone who has ever ridden with me has fallen in love with it, even if their initial reaction was negative. In my opinion the xA is better than a hybrid. Cheaper, less complex, no batteries, and with combined driving it easily gets 40 MPG in an automatic. Great car.

Fuel efficiency, styling, price, and performance.

More rear leg room, different dash material.

Scion xA
By Marbot

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Scion xA is reliable, but has some disappointments. For instance, the pick-up is not that good, even for a small car, and the fuel efficiency isn't anywhere near what it is supposed to be. It only gets about 31 mpg highway and 28 mpg city (supposed to get 37 highway and 32 city) and this is without using the heat or air conditioning. Other than that it is cute, fun, and easy to drive. It's great for parallel parking and has great standard features for a low price.

Love the 60/40 folding rear seats and the MP3 stereo hookup.

Improve gas mileage. Put the meters in front of the driver (even after 8 months of driving, it still isn't comfortable having them in the center).

Fun to Drive, Great on Gas Needs Cruise
By Miss Ellie

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a commuter car for my husband to replace his truck. Car is great, zippy and fun to drive. RPM at 60 MPH is 3000 and feels like it needs a 6th gear. Otherwise, make sure you order cruise. My 22 year old loves this car. Nice MP3 connection as well. Very comfy back seat, and versatile layout for storing groceries and cargo. Buy it, you'll like it!!

Stereo, center arm rest, visibility, pickup. Amber lighting is nice. Comfort is nice for a compact car.

Lower gear ratio at higher speeds or add another gear. Car revs too high at 60+ MPH.