Used 2006 Scion xA Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion xA

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Scion xA
By Marbot

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Scion xA is reliable, but has some disappointments. For instance, the pick-up is not that good, even for a small car, and the fuel efficiency isn't anywhere near what it is supposed to be. It only gets about 31 mpg highway and 28 mpg city (supposed to get 37 highway and 32 city) and this is without using the heat or air conditioning. Other than that it is cute, fun, and easy to drive. It's great for parallel parking and has great standard features for a low price.

Love the 60/40 folding rear seats and the MP3 stereo hookup.

Improve gas mileage. Put the meters in front of the driver (even after 8 months of driving, it still isn't comfortable having them in the center).

Fun to Drive, Great on Gas Needs Cruise
By Miss Ellie

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a commuter car for my husband to replace his truck. Car is great, zippy and fun to drive. RPM at 60 MPH is 3000 and feels like it needs a 6th gear. Otherwise, make sure you order cruise. My 22 year old loves this car. Nice MP3 connection as well. Very comfy back seat, and versatile layout for storing groceries and cargo. Buy it, you'll like it!!

Stereo, center arm rest, visibility, pickup. Amber lighting is nice. Comfort is nice for a compact car.

Lower gear ratio at higher speeds or add another gear. Car revs too high at 60+ MPH.

Good car for long commutes
By melissa

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

While it doesn't have the power of my last car, a V6 Mercury Cougar, I knew I would have to make a trade-off for the better gas mileage. Mostly picked this car for the promised fuel efficiency but am a little disappointed in that area. Hoping the lower cost of upkeep will make up for the lack of fuel savings. Also, was a little concerned about the safety of such a small car, but had my first accident in it last month. After being side-swiped by a much larger truck, I was amazed at how little damage was done to the car. Mostly cosmetic. Not even a bump or bruise on me. Would definitely recommend it to anyone in any age group who wants something economical and still fun to drive.

Love the appearance. Mine is a sportier limited edition with fancy grill and spoiler which takes away from the economy-car look. Also love the steering wheel radio controls and cargo space.

Moon roof would definitely be nice. Since I bought my xA in the winter, I thought the slow warm-up time was normal. Not getting any better with the warmer temps though. Different material for the dashboard. The stuff there now is a pain to try and keep clean.

I Love My Scion
By PyroSaGMaN

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is so easy to shift. It has a lot of power, unlike the automatic. I can zoom zoom. This car is just amazing, I'm so in love with my car. All the things in the reviews that downgraded this car are the reason I love the car, such as where the gauges are located. Mine has more power than I need. I frequently find myself doing over the speed limit before I even get on the freeway as I merge onto the interstate. It has so much room inside I can fit camping gear and go on shopping trips and fill it to the brim and the car still has power to zoom zoom. Also not a problem for my heavy family inside. It is just too perfect for me.

I am glad the gauges are in the center of the dash so I don't have to look over or under the steering wheel to see that I'm speeding. and I love the look inside and out. it has so much room and more power than I need. I can pack it full of camping gear and still fly up the hills on the road.

Maybe a cruise control so I don't speed on the freeway. Not much to improve on.

xA review
By mczarski

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car if you want excellent gas mileage, good standard features, and way low price. We looked at all the high mileage cars, except the hybrids, and this was the best bang for the buck. Rides smooth, a little loud under full throttle, but that is to be expected from a 1.5 liter moving 2,000 plus pounds. Drives fine til about 80-85 mph, then it starts to be a little too loud from the engine bay. Put in some dynamat and it might be somewhat quieter.

Center mounted speedo and tach, decent sized cup holders, grocery bag holders, color display changes on upgraded sound system.

Lower it with some springs (improves fuel economy), upgrade the wheels to alloy instead of steel (improves fuel economy and acceleration), and put in a TRD air filter. This maintains factory warranty, and improves airflow.