2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2500 model:

2016 RAM 2500 6.4 HEMI
By unsatisfied

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 550 miles the transmission failed. I was pulling a trailer weighing around 2500 pounds and a terrible slam sound came from the transmission as it was accelerating. The vehicle and trailer shuttered and awful noises could be heard under the hood and in the floorboard. So I took it to the dealership and they got negative codes. They replaced the shifting solenoid (didn't work) and now its being torn apart like a science experiment at the nut house. RAM customer service is as helpful as Hillary Clintons IT guy. I was told that it is kinda what it is. What? So do yourself a favor and leave these things alone. Tell your friends and family to stay clear. I am making a payment for a truck to sit at a dealership and who knows when this will get resolved.

Acceptable Oil Consuption
By Joe Layman

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman Power Wagon 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.4L 8cyl 6A)

Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 engine - At 1,000 miles, I notice that the oil was about 1/2 a quart low, checked again at 2,000 miles - full 1 quart low. I put a quart of 0-40w synthetic oil. Again at 3,000 miles - 1/2 quate low and at 4,000 mile had to add another quart. Dealers tell you the recommended oil change interval is 6000 miles between oil changes however, they do not tell you about oil consumption (based on Ram's "Acceptable Oil Consumption" maintenance notification - one quarter every 2,000 miles at over $10.00 per quart is within their accepable level). That only applies if you have less that 50,000 miles, after that, it's one quated for every 750miles. Love the truck - hate the oil consumption. Buyer beware - ask about any Dodge or Ram models there maintenance flier regarding "ACCEPTABLE Oil Consumption" - its the same.

Great Truck so far
By TC

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie Power Wagon 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for a few weeks and have no big complaints.

Happy new Dodge Ram Owner
By joe sigmon

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Former Ford fanboy says... WELL DONE RAM!
By Slick

2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman Power Wagon 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was looking to replace my 2k Super Duty V10 4x4 supercab with a crew cab to give the dog more room, and fewer repair projects for me. After getting frustrated with the local Ford dealers, started looking at Ram. Spoke with several neighbors and co-workers who had made the switch from Ford to Ram & were extremely happy with the reliability & value of the Ram. I had an extremely pleasant buying experience. I did not want (to pay for) a loaded model. I was able to find pretty much exactly what I wanted. I bought a '16 2500 Heavy Duty crew cab short bed 4x4 with the 6.4L gasser & 4.10 gears in the Tradesman trim level (not a Power Wagon). It's optioned almost to the SLT level with the chrome appearance package, preferred equipment package, UConnect 5.0, 4.10 gears, anti-spin differencial, shift-on-the-fly 4x4, park sense/park view, power trailer tow mirrors, and LED bed lights. The ride is nice, albeit a bit stiff... but that's mainly a function of running 80 psi in the tires. I'm amazed at how quiet the cabin is. Being a base model, there are plenty of hard plastics in the cabin... but so far (fingers crossed), no squeaks or rattles... & it seems well put-together. I wish it had a telescoping steering wheel, and the brake pedal sits a bit high for my foot. I'll get used to it tho. The seats seem quite comfortable... even the back seats. The cylinder deactivation is imperceptible, tho at low speed/rpm, it will chug a little, on occasion. The shift points (of the transmission) seem a bit off, even with the 4.10s, but all work smoothly. It just seems like it's easy to catch the transmission off-guard pretty regularly... a common occurrence in newer cars/trucks with 6-10 cogs in the trans... it's tuned for mileage. I'm getting around 11-13 mpg in town & 17-18 mpg on the highway. No complaints there. I'm still in the break-in phase, so no towing yet. Overall, I'm a happy camper!