Skip to main content

List Price Estimate

Used Sunfire for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
3.63 out of 5 stars

96 sunfire died a few times still running

shawn beauman, 09/27/2010
1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a month ago from my uncle he works on cars all the time he is not a mechanic but he is just as good as one. anyways the 1st day i got this car it died on me it would not start but the lights and the radio still worked (weird) and it had plenty of gas (half a tank) in it so i took it to cole muffler and they charged me about $400 just for a new starter and a new battery i got ripped off don't go to cole muffler they are (expensive) i only paid $850 for the car itself but i had to pay! $400 to get it running again and a week later it died on me again but after having it towed to cole muffler (again) it started without having any repairs done on it it has been over 2 weeks now

4.88 out of 5 stars

Saved my daughter's life

lisa hayes, 06/24/2003
1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for our daughter. Little did we know it would save her life. She was hit "head-on" by a drunk driver. The driver of the other car was in a Nissan Sentra and was killed in the crash. My daughter received only minor injuries. The investigating officer told us the car save her life because the front end of the car "dropped" which allowed the car to bow upward instead of into the driver/passenger area. Also, both airbags deployed and her seatbelts worked just as they should. We are planning to replace the car with another one just like it. My daughter says she won't drive anything else!

3.13 out of 5 stars

Good on gas but poorly built

HATE THIS CAR, 01/12/2004
1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Yeah the guy that got this car 150000 miles without anything is lucky. I have already replaced about 7 sensors the fuel and water pumps. Tuned up 2x. In the winter snow always goes in the car. It also is annoying to clean the front lights too. The brakes go quickly. Have replaced many times. The front end shakes if you go over 50mph. This car is good though if you want to get 30+ per gallon. And the handling besides shaking is very good. Have no problems driving but mechanically this car in my opinion is a lemon.

3.75 out of 5 stars

Nothing fancy, just does it's job

Notagirlyman, 08/31/2004
1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car used with 96,000 miles on it. It was fast for a 4 cyl. at first, but the engine has lost it's pep now at 123,000. I can still get her to go sometimes, but only when she is in the mood. I drive this car about 50 miles everyday and she has been solid. Only little nagging problems, nothing major. The biggest problem was the fuel pump went which cost around $300 to replace. The brakes seem to go quicker than most cars. Don't worry though, when they are going they will let you know in surround sound before their performance suffers. Handles well in snow (if your an ok driver). Would buy again.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Maybe, maybe not...

Sol-Luna, 11/09/2002
1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderfully fun. It is uncomfortable for tall passengers. I enjoy the ride...but it becomes very uncomfortable if used for long trips. The stereo quality is poor but can be easily changed after purchase. Small and economical. Have had problems with the brakes. Has visited the shop numerous times including all of the recalls. It is a good car in some ways...a bad car in others.