Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Am for Sale
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Passlock problems

Ali2681, 05/15/2010
GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Until this year I have never had a problem with my Grand Am. I loved the car....that is until I started getting stranded all the time. Everyone says to wait 10 min with the key on but I always end up waiting at least 40. And it's not always my security light that goes on it's the service engine soon, trac off and ABS. I am getting really tired of having to sit in parking lots for up to an hour waiting for my car to start, how will I go grocery shopping when it's hot!? This is a BIG problem and GM needs to do a recall on this issue. I have always had a problem with the brakes on this car too.

been great so far!

alan2123, 05/06/2013
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since it was brand new. it now has 209400 miles on it! I've out in an alternator, window wiper motor, and a new ignition. it still needs a couple things, like a new indicator switch because it makes a ticking noise while off, but for how long it's lasted and the little work its needed, it has been a great car! it still runs great, and I'll probably get it up to 250000 miles before I sell it.

ROLLING UP DASH PAD

wsteadman, 12/10/2011
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 grand am se sedan 4cyl AT, AC, CDAMFM RADIO, MANNUAL SEATS. I have a problem tha Pontiac has refused to take resposiblity for. The dash pad has started to roll up, has broken the plastic defrost deflectors now the window will not defog properly (safety hazzard). The passenger side air bag is in the dash under the loose dash pad. The airbag is designed to punch thru the pad but with pad being loose it will not function properly and the loose dash pad will impact the passenger instead of the airbag..(safety/deadly hazzard) would like to know how to fix this problem. 9 of 10 gran ams I have looked at have the same problem. The subquality glue is letting go.

Great reliable affordable car

Amanda, 10/03/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 10 years now and I am just now thinking of getting a new car. I have had to do just a few minor repairs since I bought it. It has ample room, and it handles great in the city and on the highway. It has been a very dependable car!

Horrible!

Mom, 07/24/2008
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was so cheaply made. We had to replace the passlock system twice, fuel pump, driver's side window motor, something else under the hood that was $600 (My husband isn't home and I can't remember the name of it) and the list goes on and on. We have poured roughly 5-6 thousand dollars into this car since we bought it. On repairs that were required unless we wanted the car as a lawn decoration. Pontiac should have stepped up and recalled so many of these problems. I will never again in my life buy another GrandAm, or anything within that family.

2002 Grand Am SE1 (3.4L V-6, Automatic)

macdizzle, 06/07/2013
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine used in 2005 with 60k miles on it. I am just now (in mid 2013) through steps to fix it up a little to resell or trade in. I was attracted to it because I could by afford it, and it had a pretty sexy looking body style, an ergonomic interior design, and a nice little dose of low end torque. It was a bright red car and I dubbed it 'the Ferrari.' I have been through a lot with it and have kept it so long that I have spent almost as much insuring it as I did to buy it. The downside is that it is a General Motors car from an era where the passenger cars where he trim, plastics, and electrical systems suffer from poor design and durability.

Severe engine problems

multani4, 09/14/2012
GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great when bought brand new. but beware of engine problems. #1 lower intake leaks. Head Gasket leaks. hard on brakes. stay away from this vehicle or any other gm vehicle with the 3.4l and 3.6l and 3.8l engines they all have issues with leaks.

A lot of car for the money

Ray Lussier, 03/20/2002
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought at cost plus the 2002 rebate. Got a lot of car for the money. Got the v6 engine and love the way it performs. The controls are well-laid out, and the steering and handling are good. Does not have the build quality that toyota or honda have, but for the money I paid, I'm quite happy.

Second Time Around

jkidd, 04/03/2002
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a '99 GA SE sedan and now an '02 SE1, I even got the same color. This one is loaded, except the V6. Differences? You can turn the DRL's off, but the parking lights remain. Chimes for the various reminders are not as loud as they were in the '99. A nifty cup holder was added on the console. The new 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine vs the 2.4. I keep reading about how smooth & quiet the new 2.2 is. I find the new engine to be loud, it makes a clicking sound even @ idle. The car is less torquey, fuel mileage is exceptional. 2 nagging concerns on build quality. A rattle in the roof liner near the moonroof button. Plastic pieces in my car are not flush.

Love this car!

shopgirl24, 06/25/2008
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 3 years ago with 19k miles on it. It now has about 60k miles; I have had to replace the O2 sensor once (about $300). Otherwise my only expense has been the usual maintenance - oil changes and first full round of tires 4 months ago. This car has been extremely reliable, and is a great family vehicle. It also gets decent mileage for its size; I get 28 mpg city/hwy combined. It is also quite stylish for the price and fun to drive! I am very satisfied with my purchase.

12345...10