Used 2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

92k and going strong
By MTK XTERRA

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new 08/12. 6 Speed manual. Fun to drive , great off road , lots of room in the back when seats are folded down, great truck for fishing ( love the roof cargo box) ,lots of power and great in the snow . The things I don’t like ..... very bumpy ride , poor gas Mileage (even with a stick, 15 city 17 highway ), interior is plain and starting to rattle , seats are cloth and are starting to wear , seats aren’t the best for long rides , not the best in the rain and it’s got rust spots in the rear bumper and roof . Overall it’s been a great truck for me . I haul a lot of stuff daily and it’s got the room and power. I’ve changed oil every 5k with Mobil 1. 3 rd set of tires, spark plugs , brakes rotors rear hatch shocks brake pedal and clutch pedal rubber shoes, 3 rd battery , new headlight bulbs , transfer case oil , rear bearings and cabin/motor air filters . For the money great truck !!!!

One Of The Best
By Ernest Miller

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle is designed around the outdoor sportsman. Rugged, stylish, well designed to accomodate off roading. If you are wanting a get around town SUV there are many others suited to that preference. I rate the vehicle outstanding in overall performance. Maintenance has consisted of oil changes, four years into ownership. Dependability is outstanding, it handles typical off road terrain without a problem. Another outstanding feature is the resale value. It has consistently held high resale value thus far. Cons: This is a 2012 so it was too early to get mandatory back-up navigation. Another is gas mileage. Perhaps the largest downside as it gets 16mpg in town and not much more on the highway. She's thirsty all the time. Lastly is highway performance. Freeway access speed could be improved, rapid passing is a bit challenging and requires good anticipation skills on two lane highways. None of the downsides, however, actually detract from an otherwise excellent vehicle. Rain/snow traction is smooth and easy in the Pro 4X, shifting to 4 wheel drive requires about two seconds and the flip of a switch. Thus far this has been one of the best vehicles I've owned from just about every angle.

Two years and 50K miles later, still satisfied
By TXlawman

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Jack of all trades, master of none; but better than a master of one. Such is the Xterra. Bought it two years ago with 68K miles and put it through a lot, and I still only need to change the oil and rotate the tires at 110K. It looks absolutely awesome, I get compliments all the time. Gas mileage is decent for what it is, I pull down right around 20mpg overall at about 70% highway/30% city. Power is awesome, this thing really has guts. It’s responsive without being overpowering, really manages the weight of the truck with ease. Sounds great, love to crank the engine and listen to it run. I really would’ve liked more features; I don’t even have an aux input in my S model, so I have to wear headphones to listen to music from my phone, but I can live with that. Ride comfort is average, but it’s not a Cadillac. I’m 6’3” 235 lbs and I fit fine, plenty of headroom and legroom. Overall could be better, but I’m still happy with my purchase.

Beware
By Matt

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have a 2012 Xterra with only 47k miles and is now in shop having transmission rebuilt. No warning before breakage

Pro 4 Awesomness
By Brad C

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2012 Pro 4 X brand new from the dealership, I love it, best Vehicle I've ever owned. I just rolled up on 90,000 miles and the only mechanical issues I've had so far were two broken leaf springs. I cant complain about the maintenance cost because there have been almost None. If you Live in Maine you will understand we have a yearly safety inspection and the dealership always does mine and always passes with no issues. Tires, two new leaf springs and oil changes have been my only cost in the 90,000 miles. Quite a few of those miles have been off road. Its an awesome vehicle, to bad they don't import them in to the US any more.