Used 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Reliable, Fuel Efficient Car
By Yumi

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Got the hatchback S model used. Doesn't have the most premium features (the SL model is more high end) which kept the original MSRP as the lowest out of any vehicle in the United States. My Versa came with hubcaps, power windows (some don't come with this standard), automatic transmission, no aux, no fog lamps, and a glitch in the TPMS sensor. Looking forward to getting different rims, stereo, and buying aftermarket fog lamps. It may be a boring car for some, if you don't upgrade the features, but it is great for hauling (fit a dresser with 6 drawers once, 90% of my home goods and clothing for moving out of the city, a mini fridge without folding the seats down) and is quite fuel efficient. It also comfortably fits passengers of most sizes. Also drove a Versa sedan while on my learning permit and was fun to drive, comfortable, and easy. It is a great budget vehicle for beginners and/or college students! Handling wise, it accelerates well like a jackrabbit, but steering and braking is a bit stiff and jolty compared to a Civic, although I have experienced this kind of steering in a Sentra of the same era as well. It takes a bit getting used to. As typical for most compact cars, it bounces around a bit over cracked and rough roads, which makes it a bit uncomfortable for me since I drive frequently through old and rural roads. Haven't had any major problems so far, except the oil pan gasket is leaking, which is typical for a car of that age.

Annoying and Reliable
By Jessica H.

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The best things about this car are how reliable it is and the decent gas mileage. I use the CD player a lot for audio books, and it is also easy to park because it is small. But that's where the good stuff ends for me. The plastic steering wheel is very slippery. For me, a steering wheel cover is a must. Every day I wish the car had power locks and windows. I hate that to open the hatchback I have to manually unlock the driver door. I hate the extremely poor lighting inside the cab. I have to use a flashlight to see anything inside the car at night (except for the panels that light up only when the headlights are on). All four of the hubcaps fell off during driving. Road noise is extremely loud on the highway. I feel every little bump in the road. I didn't realize how much that bothered me until one day I started swerving around manhole covers in the street to stop from jarring myself. The A/C freezes my fingers on the steering wheel, but that's as far as it goes towards cooling the cab. I'm on my second key, and it's starting to feel mushy because of all the wear it gets from unlocking the door so many times a day. The Versa keys are the expensive $80 keys. The brakes, although good, make squeaky noises when backing up (like, out of the driveway). The car also makes squealing noises when making tight turns (like, in a parking lot). I've been driving it to-and-from work and around-town for five years now, and all the little annoyances have finally gotten me to start looking for a new car.

Fun to Drive
By J.D.

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2009 Versa Hatchback brand new off the lot. I traded a Jeep Cherokee that I loved for this car simply for the MPG. I love driving this car. It's compact, very fuel efficient and well worth the money. I have 144,000+ miles on it, mostly interstate at 70 mph or above. It's fun to drive and comfortable. I have been well pleased. We had a sun roof installed which added to the comfort. Only negatives I have are the air conditioning doesn't cool as much as I like and the cloth on the rear door is turning loose, but with the use it's had - not bad. The engine does sound like a "sewing machine" when pushed, but once you've reached your speed it's fine.

Eight years, 64,000 miles and no issues at all.
By Bill from Tigard

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've been very pleased with my 2009 Nissan Versa. I've followed the recommended maintenance schedule and have had no problems. I had the tires replaced at 54,000 miles and the brakes checked every 6,000 miles. So far haven't had to have anything done. It's not the most luxurious car out there by any means, but it has served us well.

Love my Versa!!!
By Blanca Castello

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The only bad thing is that it only has one car charger. Having phone charger, GPS charger or other people in the car it makes it tough.