Used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Spent over 10k in the last 8 yrs on repairs
By Dan

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission is faulty

Abandon Ship!
By alex holloway

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The radiators on these cars crack and fluid leaks into the transmission ruining the whole car.

Falls Apart! Slowly
By Tonia

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an 06 pathfinder in 07 with 30000 miles windows slowly went out one by one radio staticky, cup holder slowly broke down, heater went out works sometimes. And at 140,000 cat converters failed, fuel tank failed, As soon as you pay it off get ready for everything to fall apart and break down. Watch your coolant mixing and messing up the transmission. Nissan does not stand by their vehicles. Toyota is the way to go. Will not buy another Nissan.

Cross contamination, Catalytic Converter trap.
By Dennis Williamson

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Beware there will be a complete transmission failure after 140,000 or before. It will leave you with hate in your heart for Nissan, the dealer and the car salespeople. Untrustworthy jerks. There is an obvious defect in the radiator / transmission which allows radiator fluid to go into the transmission. Once this happens you will need a complete transmission and radiator. It cost me almost $6K+ fix both).
There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan USA and they may cover 1/2 of the expenses but you will still be out of $3K in out of pocket expenses. I was past the mileage to be in the lawsuit. Of course no one told me of the known cross contamination problem when I purchased it used.
There is also a catalytic convertver / O2 sensor problem which will not allow the vehicle to pass smog. I was quoted $1250 to replace. I will never buy another Nissan vehicle.
I paid approximately $300.00 for two bolt on catalytic converters. A mechanic who is a friend gave me a break and installed both for $80.00. My SUV is running great again now. No thanks to Nissan or any Nissan dealer. They are still crooks and I will never buy another Nissan again.

Love her durability, hate her defects
By Busy Mom

2006 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong, my Nissan Pathfinder has literally been a valued member of my family for 10 years. It has transported my family very well, and she has only put me down on the side of the road (in another state, mind you) once. I have had to have numerous and costly repairs, though, but I did give her a run for her money in commuting and travel miles.

I would buy another one of these (at a price at which I could afford the fixes) because of its durability, safety, nice look, spacious cargo area once third row of seats is folded down, family friendliness and powerful engine.

Here's the ugly: The transmission/radiator issue (cost me $2,500) mentioned by others is very real, as are the issues with constant brake repairs (my second or third set of rotors and pads) and O2 sensors (cost me $500)/catalytic converters (I'm scared to find out how much that is going to cost me, but the repairman's facial expression said it all as he recommended another mechanic to fix it). I also had a problem with my battery cables corroding (fixed that a couple times) and a tire going up and down (but I changed out the rims & tires, which was a costly fix for that problem). The cigarette lighters I use for my phone charger never really worked right (one may have a blown fuse, other seems to have a short). The front seats are very uncomfortable, my leg seems to rest against the bulky side of the center console. And I didn't realize how difficult the steering was until I drove other cars and nearly oversteered because of the ease. These things have aggravated and maybe even help lead to aches, pains and even a wrist surgery I've had (I spend a lot of time in my car).

It's a great car if you get it at a good price that takes into account that you'll need to replace the transmission, 02 sensor and cats at some point.