Used 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Love My Truck - Great Truck - Won't let it go
By laurelguy

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 03 Frontier new in 1/03, haven't had any complaints, now has 191k miles on it, having some issues but that's expected I guess.
Speed sensors on both side needed replaced, now having to replace rear seal.
Might be bandaging it but really don't want to let the truck go.
Only complaint was local Nissan dealership for service or lack there of, but found local shop just as good and less expensive.

Ole Miss Update
By olemiss

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just wanted to update my post of my Frontier Crew Cab long bed with 3.3 engine. I had to replace the A/C compressor around 75,000 miles, replaced a headlight last week, and a battery at the seven year point.
I chose to put new shocks all around and replace the brake pads at 85,000 miles. I will have new hoses and belts put on when I have the timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles.
Not bad for a ten year old truck with 90,000 miles.
I take very good care of this truck and I plan to drive it daily for a few more years.

Update 2016: My wife and I have a job that allows us to commute together, so I haven't put too many miles on the truck as of late. This truck was perfect for coaching soccer and throwing all the gear in the back and still have enough room for a few players. Recently, I hauled a 6-12 U-Haul trailer, loaded to the max, about 400 miles. The truck got about 10 miles to the gallon, but handled it just fine. I still get 20 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway unloaded.

My 2003 truck is now 13 years old with 98,000 miles. I had to replace the knock sensor, so I went ahead and had the timing belt replaced and a full tune-up done while the mechanic had it. The spark wires and plugs were the original, so I replaced them, along with all the belts, hoses, and transmission flush. It was about $2,200 dollars, but it's maintenance that needed to be done, and was much cheaper then the dealership. I keep the truck in the garage and it's very clean inside and out. My mechanic offered me $7,000 for it and told me don't sell it without talking to him. I don't really need a truck and was tempted, but, as I told him, it's like an old friend.

After owning this truck since new, I can only think of two things I would do differently. First, I would have gotten power windows and door locks. Having said that, the deal was on "this" truck and another truck would have cost me more money that I couldn't afford at the time. Secondly, avoid Nissan dealerships. I do all the easy maintenance myself. Things like oil changes, disk brakes pads, coolant flushes etc, but I avoid the Nissan dealership here because they are very expensive, and I don't thing they are competent. I have had three, what I consider, minor recalls on the truck. Even when I bring them the notice that I was sent by Nissan, they seem to be clueless as to what to do. To this date none of the recalls have been accomplished. I notified Nissan USA and the dealership still was clueless and failed to act. Find yourself a good local mechanic and avoid the dealership.

Buy It
By Ole Miss

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissain Frontier new in November 2003. I've owned Toyota, Chevy (Luv), Mazda, Ford small pickups. I like to have a small truck. If you need a heavy hauler, get a full size truck. I've put 65,000 miles on the truck and have not had a single problem. It tows a trailer with ease and goes from city to highway driving with ease. It's quieter on the Highway than my Honda Odyssey. I get 20 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway which is better gas mileage than most get. Only bad I can say the A/C compresser has always had a bone chilling "clang" when it kicks in.

Versatile truck. Ride and handling. Very dependable!

It's ugly, seriously, I hate the big plastic wheel skirts. Gas milage on some models. I would like it to be smaller. Ford is the only small pickup left.

One Tough Truck
By datsun72

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine new. I now have over 140,000 on it. All I've ever had to do is change oil. I've only had to replace the brake pads once. The tires average over 60,000 before I replace them. It's never even had to be aligned. Toughest vehicle I've ever owned. It still looks brand new. It's worked hard and now my son drives it. Liked it so well I bought a 2008 Frontier to keep it company. Nissan builds the most reliable truck out there.

It would b nice if the oil filter were easier to get to.

You had me at supercharged!
By Jhn

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned many different makes & models, this truck made me a fan of Nissan. I wish it had better gas mileage but with a super charged V6 I can't complain to much. I am sort of a shade tree mech. & the ease of changing brakes, oil, filters, etc. was actually surprising. Thank you Nissan for a truck with great style & performance. The next time I buy a vehicle it will be another Nissan.

I like everything.

Side curtain air bags front & back & a chrome package.