Used 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 268 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Reliable car
By Tom Amerine

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Only thing bad is getting second key for push button start

Where do I start with complaints?
By Mick W.

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The CVT transmission failed at 120,000 which I have been told is typical. It is difficult to rebuild so you have to spend 3 grand for a new refurbished one at a dealership. Second, the car eats oil at a record pace. 3 quarts in about 1,000 miles! The mechanic told me the rings are shot in cylinder 3. I saw that Nissan has acknowledged problems with the 2006 Nissan Altima with the 2.5 L engine. Well, the same engine in a car 2 years newer is having the same issues as noted above! I would never buy a Nissan with a 2.5 L engine again!

CVT Transmission
By Leslie

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car cash money from dealer, heard a whining noise when accelerating took it back to dealer they said that is the way Nissan's shift. Drove it home as it was my son's Graduation/College present. Less than 4,000 miles later. CVT transmission needs replaced. Since we as the 4th owners are outside of the 120,000 mile warranty, we have to replace it ourselves. For someone that lives pay check to pay check with a kid in college. I can't just cough up $4,000. My uncle suggested that I reach out to Nissan Corp, well after them telling me they could not help me until it was CERTIFIED Diagnosed by a dealership they could not discuss the issue with me. I spend $100.00 to get the Certified Dealer to diagnose the problem and Nissan Corp says we are sorry you are outside of the 120,000 mile "EXTENDED" warranty. I am sorry but if you, "Nissan Corp" realize that their have been complaints on the CVT transmission to give an extended warranty, then why not do the RIGHT thing and fix my sons car. We told my son he could not have a sports car for graduation and he saw this car and fell in love with it. It has all the bells and whistles a kid wants and looks good also. Shame on you NISSAN for crushing my kids dream car. I guess now we will try to sell it! If I guess we could use it as a Crash Derby Car!

SCREWED THE WIDOW WOMAN
By R LYONS

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought it used, knew the owner , 1 owner, well maintained , 2 months to the day of purchase , i'm replacing the cvt transmission not a happy girl, give me back my '92 Buick any day. It ran like a scalded dog , never any problems . Shame on you Nissan shame on you

Good Car Except for the CVT
By mtnhiker70

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car drive nicely and I've owned it for 9 years, 100k and done just tires and brakes. But I've had major problems with the cvt. It's been warranteed by Nissan. The transmission died on a long trip last summer. Thankfully it was still under the recall warranty. But it could have caused an accident and we left stranded 3 states away from home. A dealership in NJ fixed it and the tranny is much better now.