Used 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Consumer Reviews

VR-4 3.0L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

3000GT VR4
By 3000GT/VR4

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I really enjoy this car. I had a 3000GT in college, gave it to my brother and now 5 years later I purchased another. I really enjoy just about everything about the car. If able ensure you have records of all the maintenance done to the vehicle. It seems as if you can't fix anything on this vehicle for less than $1,000 unless you can do it yourself (engine has to be pulled to do almost anything). That said, if you can find a good one with paperwork showing the 60K and 120K (if required) go for it! Something to look out for is for 2nd gear synchro's tend to wear out. Fixable, but again about $1,200. Who ever said that they can fix one for under that did it themselves or never owned one.

I would put its style up with any vehicle today and thats 10+ years later! I like the interior and find the car to be reliable, especially if the previous owner took care of it and changed the fluids regularly (car ownership 101). I am 6'2" and have no problems getting in or out. 320 hp w/ AWD!

Again, this car is not cheap to fix. The parts are reliable but most cars out there are 10+ years old and something is going to break. Get it fixed with new parts and you can go 200K+ miles before you need a rebuild. I am on 150K getting a new head-gasket and car will be good as new.

One awesome car!
By Dave McD.

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

My 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT is my second car on this platform. First was a 1992 Dodge Stealth base model. It was the handling characteristics that sold me on these machines. The second, my current car, is the VR4. If anyone doubts how well these cars handle and perform, drive the "Tail of the Dragon" (US Route 129), between Maryville, TN and Robbinsville, NC. Just one time, and you will be hooked!

Six-speed Getrag tranny; Twin turbo; All-wheel drive; All-wheel steering; Active Aero; and Infinity Sound System.

Better exhaust; upgraded suspension (struts).

They don't make cars like this anymore!
By zman

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

As the title says, you just can't buy a new car today with the level of comfort, luxury, performance, and style as the 3000GT. This is my fourth 3S platform car (3 Stealths, now a 3000GT). The first was a non-turbo 1991 SOHC model followed by three Twin-Turbo versions (1992,1991,1996). I sold my last one to buy a Porsche 911, but I just couldn't stay away from these great Mitsus! My only complaint is that the headroom is a little low with the power sunroof option. My previous Stealths were all hardtop or glass roof and had more room for my 6'2" self. Just gotta slouch a little now and keep my hair trimmed short ;)

Spaceship-like dash layout, hi-tech performance features like 4 wheel steering, Active Aero, and All Wheel Drive. Tons of power on tap from its 320HP 3.0 liter V6. If you need more ponies, spend about $1,000 on performance upgrades and you'll be watching Vipers and Z06's in your rearview mirror!

The 3000GT/Stealth sits about 2" too tall, especially with the 18" wheels on a VR4. You could about crawl into the wheelwell gap! Spend a few bucks on some Tein S-Tech lowering springs to make the car look 100% better.

1996 VR4 - a superb GT car
By Douglas Barton

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

They stopped making this car - too bad!
High performance, luxury, sexy styling
in a two door coupe (today performance
cars are either 4-door sedans, tiny
roadsters or underpowered coupes like
the Monte Carlo)...also VERY reliable.
What's wrong with todays consumer - in
my youth 4-door cars were for "dorks".

Broad torque range, great grip (all- wheel drive), styling, ergonomics, handling (all-wheel steering) weight (3800 lbs. for great cruising), active aero spoilers

hifger boost for more horsepower (I added about 100 horses with a boost controller, intake & exhaust mods) - car is perfect with approx. 420 HP