Used 2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My 2010 Mini Cooper S
By Lee Williams

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this for my high school age son. The safety ratings were good, gas mileage excellent, and the performance is fun without being overwhelming for a new driver. Outward visibility is exceptional! I was concerned about reliability ratings, however, as a longtime BMW owner, I’ve come to learn that most people will only give reviews on negatives and not highlight the positives. We’ve had no issue with this car, but if we do, I have a greY service department at our local BMW/Mini dealership.

Remember it is a sportier car that means more work
By Joshua

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Sportier cars always come with a catch usually more expensive maintenance but it being a performance car means dont cheap out on parts thats asking for something to break it handles amazingly and has good power for a car i still get 35+ mpg in yea theres some slight torquesteer and turbo lag but most fwd turbo cars have some form of both the interior controls are kinda annoying until you get used to them but overall its a fun car meant to be fun to drive and they nailed that. That being said of course automatic is going to have some trouble which is why i got a 6 speed manual which is an incredibly strong transmission and would only fail from operator/owner caused issues or a defect from the factory which is not very likely

DO NOT BUY...
By Michael T

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm an engineer. Quality of Mini is truly MINI. Inside it's cheaply made. Wife bought it without 'consulting' with me. As the result, traded it in 8 months later for Toyota Corolla.

My wife's rotten apple
By AJ

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Don't go look or ride in this car - you will probably fall in love with it, like we did (if you like sporty little cars)! But don't do it, unless you have money to burn. You will be taking this car to the BWM dealer for any maintenance or repairs - need I say more? And, there are many poor engine parts and defects that you will have to do your homework on to know about and monitor: value tensioner and guides, thermostat and housing, oil CONSUMPTION. True, we bought the car used with only 28,500 miles and it was in good condition. We have babied this car; but now with only 70,100 miles the thermostat locks up, the engine overheats, and the head gasket blew ($2900 min repair). Before this event it used at least a quart of oil between oil changes, and a good bit more if you took an interstate trip; and the timing chain noise had been increasing (not yet to the 'death rattle' level). We babied this car, drove it mildly, and changed the oil early ($90 at dealer). I'm looking at selling the car for parts (we paid $17,000 used when we bought it) for probably no more than $3000 with bad engine, or a complete engine rebuilt (head gasket, timing chain, and god know what else by a local euro car shop) for about $4500 for a car that now is selling for about $8000 used, in good condition! Like I said, buy it only if reliability and $$ don't matter to you.

Do not enter the land where dragons dwell
By Pogo Nogo

2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second mini, daughters actually, I am merely the mechanic and bottomless wallet. The 2005 supercharged was better than the 2010 turbo but they are both maintenance nightmares. The 2010 is the worst. Every month there is another check engine light. These cars, if you buy into the cult of mini that has the money to love every design flaw and gleefully pay for them have known things that always go wrong the thermostat housing, $500, new turbocharger, $1600, they flood and won't start after sitting for a week, $280. Run flat tires $210 each and now there is an airbag error light and the air conditioning quit. I have spent thousands on this pile of junk and now at 75k miles the engine is getting rough with misfires. This is the carbon build up due to direct port fuel injection. This car is an over engineered unreliable nightmare. BMW doesn't give a crap that they pump out junk in a cuddly cutesy package. They want your money. At the dealer $21 for a spark plug . Can't buy a PCV valve, it's built into the valve cover $140. I can go on for days. STAY AWAY SRAY AWAY STAY AWAY. The mini is garbage!