Used 2010 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used Cooper for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

2010 Cooper Hardtop 6 Speed Auto

micweb, 02/16/2010
2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is not your typical "B" segment mini-car (like the Honda Fit, Yaris HB, Scion xA, all of which I've owned). The NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) levels are ultra low for this class. This is a QUIET, SMOOTH car. Very high levels of front seat comfort. Base suspension and stock tires are surprisingly good - I have no plans to make changes, which is unlike me. Superb gas mileage - an indicated 35.4 mpg on my mostly freeway driving in regulare (non-sport) mode. Also a bargain, if you don't add "extras," and take into account the fine stock sound system and detailed on-board computer.

Great car

William Berry, 08/20/2016
S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased my first mini as a used car with 68000 miles. I now have 152000 miles on it. No major problems just regular maintenance. This car runs like new, even my mechanic is surprised at well well it runs. Best car I've ever owned.

Not Reliable

dynamos, 02/06/2012
S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We loved our Mini--until about 15,000 miles, when it began to run a little rough. By 18,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the local Mini dealer for service. Turns out there were multiple error messages, due to excessive carbon build-up in the engine. The problem was caused by the direct injection system. They cleaned the engine by removing the intake manifold and blowing out the engine with crushed walnut shells. Also, the timing belt tensioner was loose and leaking oil. They tightened it and replaced the gasket. The service writer stated that the repairs would have cost over $600 if the car was not on warranty.

Do not enter the land where dragons dwell

Pogo Nogo, 09/03/2016
S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second mini, daughters actually, I am merely the mechanic and bottomless wallet. The 2005 supercharged was better than the 2010 turbo but they are both maintenance nightmares. The 2010 is the worst. Every month there is another check engine light. These cars, if you buy into the cult of mini that has the money to love every design flaw and gleefully pay for them have known things that always go wrong the thermostat housing, $500, new turbocharger, $1600, they flood and won't start after sitting for a week, $280. Run flat tires $210 each and now there is an airbag error light and the air conditioning quit. I have spent thousands on this pile of junk and now at 75k miles the engine is getting rough with misfires. This is the carbon build up due to direct port fuel injection. This car is an over engineered unreliable nightmare. BMW doesn't give a crap that they pump out junk in a cuddly cutesy package. They want your money. At the dealer $21 for a spark plug . Can't buy a PCV valve, it's built into the valve cover $140. I can go on for days. STAY AWAY SRAY AWAY STAY AWAY. The mini is garbage!

My wife's rotten apple

AJ, 11/18/2016
2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Don't go look or ride in this car - you will probably fall in love with it, like we did (if you like sporty little cars)! But don't do it, unless you have money to burn. You will be taking this car to the BWM dealer for any maintenance or repairs - need I say more? And, there are many poor engine parts and defects that you will have to do your homework on to know about and monitor: value tensioner and guides, thermostat and housing, oil CONSUMPTION. True, we bought the car used with only 28,500 miles and it was in good condition. We have babied this car; but now with only 70,100 miles the thermostat locks up, the engine overheats, and the head gasket blew ($2900 min repair). Before this event it used at least a quart of oil between oil changes, and a good bit more if you took an interstate trip; and the timing chain noise had been increasing (not yet to the 'death rattle' level). We babied this car, drove it mildly, and changed the oil early ($90 at dealer). I'm looking at selling the car for parts (we paid $17,000 used when we bought it) for probably no more than $3000 with bad engine, or a complete engine rebuilt (head gasket, timing chain, and god know what else by a local euro car shop) for about $4500 for a car that now is selling for about $8000 used, in good condition! Like I said, buy it only if reliability and $$ don't matter to you.

12345...6