Used 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Most Capable Motorcar
By TennesseeSL

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I was approached not long after purchasing the SL by a gentlemen who has owned a good number of exotic and sports cars. In his words, "the SL is what all cars want to be when they grow up". I could not agree more. You may find a sportier car or two, a better looking luxury car, or a car that covers great distances in extreme comfort; but the SL does all of that, and more. This car loves to eat road, top up is like a coupe; solid and silent. Top down is like, well, a high performance convertible. The SL has become our grand touring car and it has proven itself to be most worthy in every instance. We went the CPO route, which lessens the pain of the check book, but provides solid Mercedes warranty and support. Drive the other contenders, then drive an SL. It continues to amaze with it's power, torque, ease of operation, and rock solid build quality. And while the looks may be contentious to some, this car draws admiring looks in even the most discerning crowds. It does not disappoint.

SL550 nice and confortable
By Rose Le

Is it a Prince or a Frog? Definitely a Prince
By rowner

I have been fortunate through the years to own a lot of premium sports cars and the SL was not one of them or even on my "Top 5" list.

This time around, my "wants" changed, with comfort, amenities and room as a top priority. Because of the new SL's aluminum construction and bi-turbo V8, it was added as a possibility.

After driving everything else out there, I finally drove a new SL. It's agility, raw power and amenities were surprising, but the exterior lines seemed disjointed.

UPDATE 11/2016

This car has not disappointed me in any way. It has been problem free, and its performance limits are beyond anything I had expected. I replaced the wheel and tire package with aftermarket 20" wheels and non run flat tires. I also added the factory rear spoiler. I hate run flat tires which come with the car, and the new wheels and spoiler give the car a more performance look. I have owned many nice cars in the past, but this car has definitely exceeded my expectations.
I bought the SL, added custom wheels and the rear factory spoiler and I am very pleased. These additions seem minor, but they changed the entire look of the car and I am pleased.

SL550 as every day driver
By carnut130

The strength of the SL is that is sort of like a 2 passenger GT Touring luxury vehicle.
Compares with Maserati, Jaguar XK, & BMW 650.
This car is the peak of technology and easy to learn.
Holds two tour golf bags in trunk with top up and one with top down.
The negative is that the look is getting a little boring.
Even though it is different from the 2012, it is only slightly different.
Inside is major, outside is not.
I ding the value on this car, not because it is not the best of its competition, which it is, but because they lose so much money the first year.
Outside of that, the car does so much more than its competitor and does the more excellently.

I like the comfort, high tech, distronic, stereo, fit and finish and practical trunk.

Get you design team going and make it more attractive. They certainly did with the SLS & even CLS ....