Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Buy New !
By J. Marshall Hughes

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Great SL. As it got older, it had a lot of issues with gaskets drying up, engine mounts had to be replaced, air suspension Very expensive to maintain and repair. Engine ran great, decent MPG of 21 highway driving. Beautiful car !! Traded it in for a Lexus that is much more reliable and very low maintenance cost. M-B should be able to produce a similar product. Loved M-B engineering. This was my 3rd M-B.

After 11 years with my SL55
By Mike

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I thought I would write this review so that anyone thinking about buying an SL55 (2007 to 2008) would have an idea on what to expect. Since you can buy a nice one for less than $30k if I didn't already own one I would get one. In my ratings review there are some things that are now on almost every car that my 07 has on it which was advanced for its day. You don't get lane departure, but you do get front and rear warning sensors, adaptive cruise keeps you safe on the highway and the Active Body Control keeps this car flat through the hardest turn. I have had several other cars since I got the SL 55 in late 2006 but I keep it because there isn't another car that can do all it can do and still get compliments when I pull in for gas. Yes you will have to keep the car serviced but at 10k intervals that is not a big deal and to listen to that supercharger whine when you floor it is pure magic. I think in a few years this will be considered a classic and the value will go up.

High Performance and High Costs
By D.M. Schwartz

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I've had my 2004 SL55 AMG for about a month. Compared to the many sporty and luxury cars I've previously owned, the SL55 stands out as a remarkable combination of performance and luxury. The main limitation on the SL55 is its weight, which becomes apparent when you try to fling the car around like a Porsche; not possible. On the other hand, the ride quality and comfort are on par with the best Benz high-end models. If you buy one of these cars, get a warranty and be prepared to pay for the items no warranty will cover, like hoses, infotainment system and shock absorbers. The front ground clearance of the SL55 is very low. Remember to use the highest suspension level setting before entering a driveway or parking lot. Scraping a parking lot "log" can cause thousands of dollars in damage. (I found out the hard way.)

Sweet ride!
By Daniel Smith

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Everything you want in a fun get away car! I thought I would use it for weekend jaunts through the countryside with the top down, and I do, however it turned or to be my daily driver. I hate seeing the miles rack up so quickly but I can't keep from driving it everywhere! It has without a doubt the most comfortable seats I've found. The handing is great in all situations and of course the awesome power never gets old. It never fails to turn heads no matter where I go.

$110,000 LEMON
By ratanlal

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

New car stalled 4 times. After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes car would start up again. Took it every time to a dealer. No problem found.
I hear grinding sound, Dealer says normal. never heard that in any of my 20 other cars I have bought before.
Soon as warranty expired, there was a problem. During test Dealer claimed that the Compression cable broke. Cost $2000+. I still hear noise and (sometimes) gears shift at a very high RPM.
Went to get Smog test. They said they could not get steady RPM of 2800 to perform the test.
This week the door handle broke. Cost $500.
I would say that MBZ has VERY POOR QUALITY.
Buying MBZ 1984-2007. NEVER AGAIN.

Piece of garbage

Quality control. For poor quality, take responsibility and correct it.