2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

UPDATE ON MY S 450 SEDAN
By abacomike

2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S 450 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

It’s been exactly 2 months since I took my new 2018 Mercedes-Benz S 450 home from the dealership. The car has 1,978 miles on the odometer. I have absolutely no buyer’s remorse - the S 450 performs well above my expectations. In late November, I drove from Ft. Lauderdale to Ponte Vedra Florida (301 miles) and arrived as relaxed and alert as when I began my trip. The same was true after my return trip home.

The performance of the car continues to be spectacular. The adaptive cruise control was a delight as was the adaptive steering assist and adaptive blind spot monitors and adaptive lane keeping assist. The smooth ride, outstanding handling and comfort of the driver’s seat was inspiring.

The satellite radio was a blessing - especially with the new audio system. I used the Apple Car Play function to make and receive calls as well as listen to the music I have stored on my phone. But best of all was the seat massage options which soothed my back as I drove the 4+ hour trip.

The V6 twin turbo engine delivered outstanding power and torque at all speeds and I averaged 32.2 mpg at 75 mph. Air conditioning was great.

As cold weather arrived last week (39-55 degrees) the heated seats were immediately responsive and warmed me almost instantaneously.

I like the fact that the windshield wipers spray cleaning fluid directly onto the glass - no more spray nozzles to spray all over the place. Visibility is excellent and the 360 degree camera views on the main screen provide excellent views of front, rear and side distances to assist in parking. I have not yet used the Park Assist as I do not parallel park. Perhaps one of these days I will get that opportunity.

In summary, this S Class Sedan continues to amaze me. But I want to warn those of you considering the S 450 - the technology continues to be a delight, however it is also overwhelming at times. There are more push buttons on this car than I have ever experienced. Once you get accustomed to the technology, you will begin to enjoy the car even more.

I LOVE THIS CAR!

Back In The "High Life" Again!
By abacomike

2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S 450 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

This is a truly refined automobile. I traded in my 2017 BMW 740i for the 2018 S450. There is very little comparison to the two cars. The Mercedes is quick, smooth riding and handling, stays in a straight line with little driver input which was not the case with the BMW 7 Series. The vehicle corners precisely and does not handle like a 4500+ pound luxury sedan - but more like a 3800 pound vehicle. This car is, without doubt, the most beautiful, fun-to-drive and most comfortable luxury sedan I have every driven - and I have owned more than 40 luxury sedans in my lifetime. The pricing on this car is about $10,000 less than the S560 - mostly due to the V6 bi-turbo as opposed to a V8 bi-turbo. I drove both models and found the S450 to be a bit more nimble. Be prepared to surround yourself in the epitome of luxury, performance, audio, as a well as a myriad of driver safety features like adaptive cruise, adaptive lane departure, adaptive blind spot monitoring (which cause the car to remain in the lane if a car is detected on either side of you. Self-steering is precise as is the adaptive cruise. I'll update my review as I build up the miles. In summary, this is a luxury sports sedan while the BMW 7 series tends to be a more sporty handling vehicle. The new 9 speed transmission and driver-selected ride and handling options (Comfort, Sport, Economy) make the world of difference in this new S Class entry. Audio System is not to be believed - like listening to a live performance.