Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used S-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

What a car

Tom in Sarasota, 11/24/2016
S 63 AMG 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have owned for a year. Chose over a Bentley. While the Bentley had a nicer outside style, The Mercedes is just a better car, has technology and is faster. I don't like the gas mileage, but I guess that is what you should expect for a sedan that does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds. The car actually steers itself ... stays in lanes ... stops in emergencies. I did get the upgraded interior and stereo ... and in hindsight, love the interior but could have passed on the stereo because it eats trunk space. No maintenance issues whatsoever! The biggest weakness is that it is so subtle. Wish is stood out a little more from the standard s550. By the way, the firmness of the ride over the standard s550 is what makes it for me. Great car, a little overpriced perhaps, but a better deal than some.

Best car ever, period

MrMac, 07/05/2020
S 550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I've owned over 100 different vehicles, and no, I've never been a dealer. The S-Class is truly a work of art. More relaxing than most home theater, living or bedrooms, the S550 is Special in every way. Serenely quiet, aggressively fast, luxury amenities all wrapped perfectly in a single package. Priced new, these are out of reach of most people. However, at 4+ years old and low mileage, this car is a tremendous value. I picked up my 2016 S550 4Matic with 33,5876 miles for less than $45,000. I can't believe I waited this long to venture into German's finest vehicle! I could've saved myself an unthinkable number of auto purchases if I had only tried the Mercedes Special Class sooner. Why didn't I? Well word on the street is these cars are expensive, unreliable, and hard to work on. All lies! They are actually overbuilt, thus very reliable. Dang near indestructible in normal use. Replacement parts are easy to attain. If you are somewhat handy with a wrench, you can easily fix most things yourself. Is their a lot of tech? Yes. Is it confusing? Maybe, but only because there is a multitude of ways to do each thing you want to do. It's simply user preference. My advice is to not be afraid, just try it. You'll wonder why you waited so long.

expensive to maintain

GreyBeard, 08/08/2016
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Great smooth ride, lots of power, but an expensive car to maintain. Radiator hose blew, putting me at the side of the road needing a tow....repaired under warranty but on a car that was 3 years old and about 7,000 miles per year? Radiator overflow bottle had a manufacturing defect and leaked, replaced under warranty. Dash display tells you when to come in for service, always over $1,000 per visit. If all the electronics turned on, you will use more brakes as the car does it automatically, meaning more brake jobs that you pay for. Run flat tires give you about 8-10,000 miles, another hit on your wallet. This car is more expensive to maintain than my Aston Martin DB9, and has had more component failures taking you into the dealer much too frequently.

WOW - simply WOW

AFITgrad86, 08/21/2018
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I traded my Maserati Quattroporte for this S 550 - two very different cars from two very different sources. My first thought of the S Class was this is what flying in First Class is about. The Maserati was a sports luxury vehicle - plenty of sport and good luxury. The Mercedes is a Luxury Sport vehicle with a huge helping of luxury and a modicum of sport - that is until you plant your right foot. The Mercedes is plenty fast - especially from a 40 mph roll although it's 0--60 is mid 4 seconds! It's effortless power and no-fuss go-fast all the while cosseted in sumptuous leather and near bank vault quiet and security. Sure it leans into the corners - but at 4600 pounds it has a right to. Do I miss my QP? only when I catch my reflection in a window - no-one can match Pinninfarina's sleek design - but the Merc is pretty darn attractive in an understated way. I've only had it a few weeks but truly am enjoying the difference.

Like a beautiful, high maintainence woman

Jerry Tennant, 08/01/2016
S 550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

This is a beautiful automobile and fun to drive (except confusing controls). However it is very unreliable. The media system didn't work when I bought it and it took a couple of months to get parts from Germany to fix it. The ordered parts didn't work so had to wait longer for more parts. Soon it wouldn't start---the almost new battery was defective! Windshield washer wouldn't put water out. Then the driver's vanity mirror simply broke off. The media system is a disaster! You need the manual in one hand to figure out how to select the media you want. It is insane that the CD player won't automatically change from one disk to the next. When listening to a multidisk audiobook, you have to recognize that it is playing the same disk over and have to manually switch to the next disk while driving. This process is hidden behind, "media", pull the knob downward, select "devices", use the knob to select the next disk (even though you may not remember what number the next disk is). Try doing this without taking your eyes off the road! Won't recognize newest iPod plug. But it looks great if you don't mind a $600 oil change. The only car I ever owned that was less reliable was a new Rolls-Royce Silver Spur.