Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

ML350 4 Matic 2009 Review
By john pomerleau

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have owned this since new and have 168k miles on it. Its been reliable, and the service at the dealer in West Chester OH has been fantastic.

Transmission issues
By Robert

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Complete transmission failure including torque converter at 74k 9k repair bill with only 1 year warranty through Mercedes dealership.
Subsequently traded it in for a Lexus.

Great SUV
By David

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Overall this is an excellent SUV.

It's got peppy acceleration, good brakes, great looks, and is very comfortable. The interior is super nice. I love the iPhone integration, backup camera, and peace of mind knowing I have airbags everywhere. This SUV has FANTASTIC traction. It can be raining and I can pull out on an uphill incline and floor it- this thing just grabs and go's! This gives me peace of mind when my wife drives it versus our car when the weather is bad.

With all that being said- it's a Mercedes. Premium fuel, expensive synthetic oil changes, and all that good stuff. Its not too bad because honestly all cars are expensive if you go to a dealer. Find a good Indy mechanic good with euro cars and you'll be fine! I had a Timing chain replaced at 80,000 miles- was told it may have needed this because perhaps the previous owner may not have changed there oil like he should have.

Does anyone else notice these issues?
By mbfan9

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I own 3 Mercedes Benz's. A 2006 S500 with 120,000 miles, a CLK550 with 50,000 miles and the 2009 ML350 with 53,000 miles.
Out of these 3, the first 2 are manufactured in Germany. The ML is made here in the USA.
The first 2 get 24-27 mpg on a long trip. The ML350 gets around 20mpg.
Heres the issues.
The ML is not made as well as the other 2. It has had rear hatch issues, sunroof issues (just had to replace the switch on the sunroof, cost almost $1,000) and multiple other very minor issues that always seem to cost between $500 and $1000.
The cover of the drivers rear view mirror popped off. Everything functioned, but the cover would sometimes pop off in the car wash. Cost to repair $630.

Engineering design is suspect. Why would MB put a $10 sunroof switch into an overhead panel so that when the switch fails the repair costs over $1000. They had to replace the entire panel, lights and all. That's just inexcusable engineering. It seems to me that MB is following the 'Gilette' strategy. Reduce costs of production by co-joining multiple functions, then charge an arm and leg for the 'razor blades' at the service level. By the way, P&G which owns Gilette is finding out the hard way that sales are plummeting. I guess the consumer has other options that to pay the exhorbitant prices. I love my other MB's. This ML seems like a very poor comparison

Best Decision I've Ever Made
By alessing

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Usually, when it comes to SUV's, I'm a Ford guy. Their SUV's feel like trucks and I like that... I never imagined myself driving a crossover. Until now. The wow factor is instant when you see this SUV. Inside and out it is just fantastic. Faster than my old V8 with better MPG's and no problem towing our 22 foot boat. I've owned a Hummer H2 in the past and I'll be the first to admit that his Mercedes is an off-road legend in hiding! I love it. It's perfect for the whole family. All 5 of us (plus 2 dogs.)

Power liftgate, voice control COMMAND center, Logitech 7 Harman-Karden HD Surround Sound.

Updates in the Navigation are rare and a touch screen layout would be cool.