Used 2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Our 2nd GL. Won’t be the last
By Edgar

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Fantastic SUV for a large family. Accommodates our 3 kids, very large dog, great for skiing trips, adventures and family outings. Super safe, comfortable, decent fuel consumption, fairly reliable. At 80k-90k miles, be prepared for a major repair bill of air bags needed to be replaced.

Impluse buy GL 450 - 4 years later
By ashok.nair@yahoo.com

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Traded in my perfectly fine and paid off 5 year old Odyssey for a CPO 2012 GL 450. 4 years later I still have my GL. What's to love, the commanding road feel, adequate power , may be slightly more than adequate power, good traction in snow, seat for 7 (although I miss my odyssey in that case), low road and wind noise. Excellent crash test ratings. The cons, maintenance is expensive, breaks and tires wear out faster than most cars/vans, airmatic suspension is prone to failure and when it does it will be expensive. I had had 2 airmatic replacements under warranty. Drinks gas!

No more problems in the last couple of years. Just had to do regular maintenance

Amazingly smooth ride, love the engine noise
By SK

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Spacious, equipped with high quality materials, handles very well. only minor annoyance is lack of temperature guage

Extremely slow parts delivery
By dsimar

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

i bought a new 2012 gl450 end of august 2012. i was in an accident on jan 14th 2013. took the car to the liberty mutual authorised body shop here in town on the same day. it's been 11 weeks now and i'm still waiting on my car. reason- i have been told since early feb that they are waiting on the bumper. have called mercedes customer service several times, have a case manager there who updates me. first i was told that 60 bumpers were on back order, then a few days later i was told that 34 are still on back order. frustrating beyond belief. i don't think i will ever trust this car maker again.

Love at first sight!
By m_taylor

2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Absolutely in love with my GL450, Great deal from MB of Tyson Conner, VA. Mr. Ayman Elasady gave us great support in making this deal happen.
My GL is Black with impeccable styling. For 2012 the LED DRL's are standard and they really make the GL stand out. Great head turning ability as I drive on the highway. The V8 under the hood really make this thing move, and the sounds great. Not really happy with future tire selection for the 19" inch rims, but I am satisfied with current tires.
The Continentals do not get good ratings online for snow traction I will find out this winter. Cornering on winding back roads at speeds of 45-60 mph great, handles like C class sports model. No real body sway noted.
Command center still is outdated electronics is not MB's thing. I typically use the Mbrace iphone app to search for address, and destinations to send to the GL's Command GPS system much quicker than trying to enter by voice or manually. But overall still in love. The backup camera upgrade, & blind slide assist. are must haves. I have parked the GL in some very tight spots on the Mall in downtown DC, without the camera I would not have attempted.
But with the camera parking was a breeze. The Honeymoon has only lasted 1,500 miles so far so good. I looked at the Lexus GX460, LX 570, Audi Q7, Infiniti QX56, and Ford Expedition King Ranch Edition.
For my money this American Made SUV has room for 7 adult (Even in the 3rd row, I am 6'1" and very comfortable back there) and power to match.
I will report on the towing capabilities later this spring 2012.