Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Great on handling, but lacks comfort
By Lkh259

2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E 350 Sport 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my 3rd Mercedes, 2nd E series. No disappointment in quality, style, handling, features, but the lack of padding and poor quality leatherette seating makes a long road trip exceptionally unpleasant. Compared to the interior of BMW, Audi, and Jaguar, Mercedes needs to upgrade their standards. Otherwise, this is a great car with decent acceleration, fuel consumption, and overall standard features. My car has all the premium packages including, keyless go, blind spot monitoring, etc. and is a joy to drive. I feel especially protected driving with the enhanced safety features. The upgraded sound system is awesome, but the navigation system is very complicated and I generally resort to using my internet gps! Would I buy it again? Only if the comfort and interior quality was improved. The very best feature for me is a brand new, top of the line dealership is less than 1mile from my home and their service dept is AWESOME!! Thank you Mercedes Benz of The Woodlands!

Disappointed
By Hunter

2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E 350 Sport 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The navigation system is overly complicated and inaccurate. The voice control doesn't recognize anything properly, you'll find yourself relying on your phone. The acceleration is sluggish and lags horribly unless you engage sport mode. Clumbsy having to reach for sport switch all the time.

My New Benz
By Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E 350 Luxury 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Check package 993 Car was to have this package. Lane tracking package, blind spot assist and lane keeping assist.

A sturdy German Car, but overcomplicated controls
By Royal Barnard

Everything you always wanted in a great driving machine, but riddled with confusing controls. Navigation system overly complicated and difficult to use. Sound system has not on/off button. You can silence it, but it's not easy. MBrace is supposed to work for in car WiFi. Had the car for 6 months and still doesn't work. Trial period now run out. I live far from a dealer and they say I have to go there to fix it. Meanwhile no more trial period. So that's out. But, of course, MBrace keeps calling and sending emails trying to sell me subscription services. NOT.... until they show me it can actually work. Passenger seats sit low in the chassis and make it a bit clumsy to get in and out.... and I'm not a weakling. Final negative is the "eco" fuel saving mode. It turns the motor off every time you stop and keep your foot on the brake. Then it automatically starts the car again when you hit the accelerator. Supposed to save fuel and put the car in a better "mileage" category. The system can not be permanently shut off, and it comes on automatically every time you start the car. Giant pain. Having said all this it's a nice driving and handling touring vehicle with all the blood and guts of a tough German luxury vehicle.... and it's quite comfortable. Don't think I would buy another one of this exact year and model.

Good experience driving 2016 MB E350 4Matic
By Joe

Well, this is my first MB and I must say that after almost 6 months of driving my used (2000 miles when bought) 2016 E350 Luxury AWD, I am very happy with my experience so far. The car (color black) looks classy all the time, and feels like I have a business suit on every time I drive it. I must say that the interior is acceptable, but not much to write home about, but performance is great and steering is responsive. I came from a 2011 Lexus ES 350, so much of the time I feel myself comparing my MB experience to the Lexus. I feel that the acceleration is about the same between the two cars (excellent), but the MB seems to clunk into downshifting when I punch the gas (Lexus was just as responsive, but smoother downshift). No biggie, but something I noticed during my need for acceleration where the Lexus was much smoother. Electronics on the Lexus were not as advanced, so it is not fair to compare the two cars in this category, although the MB's command system is a bit confusing to me at times and is not as intuitive as it should be. I've driven in combined highway and city and the gas mileage has been pretty much as advertised (requires premium fuel). The ride is very comfortable (something I value, thus my selection of the luxury model over the sport). I did have problems rotating the tires on this car the first time around. I typically do this type of maintenance myself and I couldn't break the factory torqued lug nuts loose for the life of me, but an investment in a breaker bar quickly solved this problem. I love getting into this car for road trips and cranking up my favorite tunes on the stereo. Very classy looking car, quiet comfortable ride, tight response. It's not a sports car, but when I want to get up and go and take corners aggressively, it delivers a satisfying experience. Looking forward to driving in the snow and ice and challenging the AWD. Hopefully I will experience continued satisfaction and high reliability going forward. I've driven the car for over 4000 miles now and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

UPDATE AFTER 9000 miles - I still enjoy driving this great looking car. A stranger commented to me a few days ago, saying "great looking car" as we exited our cars in a parking lot. Ride is still tight and quiet. The one thing I continue to experience (but very willing to tolerate) is the kind of jerky motion as you press the accelerator from a stop. Again, my Lexus ES350 was smoother in this regard, but it does kind of give you a more sporty feel in my MB, and I'm ok with it. Bottom line I still really like the looks and feel of driving this car. I feel like I'm in that car commercial (not a Mercedes commercial) where I'm always looking for a reason to get in my E350 beauty and drive it somewhere special. My excitement for this car has not faded one bit. I've done an oil change, tire rotation and inspected the brakes. So far tire tread wear is minimal and wear is even across the tires and brake pads all still look great. I would definitely recommend this car for someone who is looking to ride in style, with the sports car response and capability sitting there patiently just waiting for the driver's queue to engage. ENJOY !!!

Update in Snow/ice: Well, after almost 9,7000 miles I had my first opportunity to ride in about 3 inches of fresh snow (still snowing at the time). WOW, this car dug into the snow like I was riding a snowmobile. On a couple of occasions, on clear stretch of road I was a little aggressive with the accelerator just to see how the AWD would respond and boy was I impressed. The car kept on the straight and narrow, dug in and just lunged forward. I'm real happy with performance in the snow and I'll have full confidence in traction and safety going forward if (when) the need ever arises to drive in messy weather again. Of course you always need to be careful when stopping (even with the best AWD and anti-lock braking), so leave plenty of room between you and the cars around you in such weather.

UPDATE after 12,000 miles: Still enjoying -About a month away from the expiration of my factory warranty (although I did purchase an extended warranty). I'm worried as I enter the extended warranty coverage. During the past year I've had the accessory battery (the one in the trunk) go bad on me and a couple of months ago the main battery showed up with a bad cell during yearly inspection at my local AAA (good catch AAA). Both batteries were replaced by Mercedes under the warranty, but makes me a little nervous about what repairs are to come down stream. I'm sure there will be all kinds of caveats (and added cost) associated with my extended warranty but we'll see. Another item that concerned me was that on a very cold night, I parked on an incline and engaged the emergency brake (I rarely use this brake). Could not disengage. The brake finally disengaged after the interior of the car heated up a little. Dealership looked at it and did some lube, but couldn't determine cause.