Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

168k miles and running like a champ!
By Gray R.

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E350 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Pros: We have owned our 2009 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic wagon since March. Even though we had to replace the two rear air suspension bags and have had a couple of problems, the engine has never let us down once (knock on wood). Having this many miles on the odometer might scare some people but being a mercedes it is meant to last over 300k miles. It still has a smooth idle and starts up like any other car at 60k miles. I love how solid the car is, especially the timeless design that reminds me of a classic mercedes! Also the handling is surprisingly very good, which is almost to BMW standards (in sport mode). I could go on for hours about how much I love this car!!! Cons: The gas mileage is not the best around the city, I average about 17 gallons in the city. On the highway, I usally average about 22 miles per gallon which is pretty good. The interior design is very complicated at first and is hard to understand, once you get comfortable with it it is still very distracting. the audio system could be better but it is almost 10 years old. Love this station wagon so much and hope to keep for a long time!

German engineering is over the top!
By Chris B.

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E350 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having always owned BMW's (since the 60's) and learning how to maintain and fix them, I've enjoyed German quality and engineering. However, of late, they have become so sophisticated, I no longer have the ability to do any work on my cars, which I enjoy doing. My wife had always wanted a Mercedes wagon and we found a very low mileage single owner 2009 E350 4Matic wagon and bought it. We mostly use it for trips and enjoy its comfort on the highway. Although it isn't fuel efficient, it does perform well. From the first day, we have been unable to figure out how the Navigation system works (glad to have Waze on our smartphones). The sound system is equally challenging to operate. The trip info on the dashboard is hard to read and understand when driving (too much info). Our fan motor has a squeaky bearing ($450 to replace). At 65,000 miles we have learned the rear differential needs replacement ($3,500). Compared to my BMW's, I am disappointed with this car. The local dealer is sells "units", not cars. For someone who has been a lifelong car enthusiast, I'm not fond of the dealer or the brand.

Great ownership experience
By PK

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E350 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am very finneky about maintaining my cars and this has beena very good experience. It does have done quirks like the window washer motor but overall excellent quality

Good not Great
By ageorge

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E350 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We currently have a 2009 Mercedes Wagon with 15k miles on it. Also for context we have a Toyota mini-van and a Prius.

This current wagon only seems special when you are on the highway. There it is in it's element. Extremely smooth, quiet yet with the classic German feel. Other than price it isn't much different from the Toyotas.
Overall build quality actually seems to be less than the Toyotas I am sad to say. We have had a number of minor problems with the electrical and mechanical systems. The CD player still doesn't work. The right windshield wiper stopped working etc.

In general it seems as the though the car is several years behind the competitors in features.

Third seat a plus for the kids. Auto tailgate, but warning it doesn't close auto except with button on the tailgate despite what the manual says. HVAC is simple and easy to use. Nav directions int the instrument panel are great. Rear fog light is appreciated Exterior design is very attractive. Seats are good Mileage is good for a large 4 wheel drive car around 20 MPG.

Headlight range is ok, not great. Outside Visibility is weak not sure if the mirrors are too small or just something about driver position Still need to work on quality control of the little things. Car has bottomed out several times in places other cars don't. The radio is very difficult to set up and switch around from AM to FM etc. NAV is also mediocre compared to the Toyota.

Solid, reliable
By Robert Miller

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E350 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always wanted a MB wagon. I have not been disappointed. Solid and reliable, quality constructed both inside and out. Great handling for a wagon. Only service has been 1 year standard service. The nav system could be easier to use, but ut us on the mark.

Built solid and great handling.

Improve and make the computer nav system and radio set up simpler.