Used 2004 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Fun for Trips
By LHaas

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had good luck with this vehicle. No service issues at all. I had a class 3 hitch installed and a transmission cooler and have towed my camping trailer all over the Rockies. It should be considered for towing small-medium loads. I threw away roof rack and installed tracks to accept Thule sliding bars. I can carry two 16'canoes with the 78" bars!

Powerful engine, good visibility, good build quality. Versatile for in town and trips to snow, vacation or hauling the utility trailer to the dump. Dog like the fold flat rear deck and visibility.

Roof rack wimpy. Fuel economy is marginal for this size vehicle. Shift lever is in the way all the time!

Still Going Strong
By scooter

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Tribute new about two years ago. The styling is very nice, and it really is fun to drive. It has great acceleration, and excellent brakes. It is very easy to park and maneuver. The sound system is fantastic. The only negative I have experienced is the fuel economy. I only get about 17-18 city, and about 24-26 highway. Not bad, but for a vehicle this size it should be better. The build quality is very good. No rattles or other annoying noises after 17,000 miles. Overall it is a very good little SUV.

V6, sound system.

Fuel economy.

Love my ZOOM ZOOM
By Sparky

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tribute for 1 1/2 years and LOVE it (except the gas mileage). Does great in the snow, even w/o the 4WD engaged. Wonderful ride quality, although there is a little wind noise at highway speeds.

It's quick! Quicker that most V8's I'd tested. The sound system is really nice also. We have 2 kids and a 90lb lab and we all fit fine w/ room to spare for camping gear etc.

Fuel economy! 15 city/19 hwy... most of Ford's V8's get better than that. More efficient dash board layout. That's about it!

'04 Tribute
By russ

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle. The cost to own isn't that bad. It gets good fuel economy and can haul a fair amount of stuff. I have two kids so it does see some abuse.

It's a good looking vehicle. The inside is pretty well laid out.

The paint. The paint takes a minor rub and it scratches.

this is the one
By Mike

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I tried both the Escape and Tribute. I liked handling and style of Mazda. Mine is an ES with V6, AWD. This is a very good small SUV. I have had this vehicle for 1 year. It has 22k on it; 11k are mine. I maintain meticulous records of not just the mpg but rate the tank on how much city and highway driving I did and even on how hard I drove it. I averaged 16 mpg across 11k miles where I drove 85% suburban/15% highway. My worst mpg was 14 mpg all city driving and my best mpg was 22 mpg on all highway driving. [It is rated 18/24; I have yet to own a car that got its rated values and probably never will.] If you want a small 6 cylinder SUV, this is the one.

I like the pep, styling, handling, size, space, sound system, and moon roof. The AWD performance is exceptional in NE winters. The ABS will keep you out of accidents.

I dislike the seating position (mostly due to no telescoping steering wheel) and highway noise. One oddity, a need to adjust the back gate as it made an annoying squeak on even minor bumps in roads. It would be nice to use the AC and control which vents the AC comes from.