Used 2004 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Would NEVER own again!!! Coil & Engine Problems
By Todd

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned the 2004 Mazda Tribute ES V6 Fully Loaded. I was the second owner. I loved the look of the car and the leather interior with the heated seats. The first few months were fine but then it started to rain and the check engine light would come on and then go off when it stopped raining. I went on forums and found this was a big problem with this model due to the misfires in the coils with the engine. I must've replaced around 5 coils while owning it. Also had to have the exhaust replaced. Then the transmission dipstick completely disintegrated and caused all kinds of tranny problems. Then the final straw was the Torque Converter had to be replaced and no way I was doing that. After around $2500 in repairs I unloaded this lemon of a vehicle. Reason I won't give it one star is because the exterior and interior were great but the engine was AWFUL. Too bad because I really enjoyed this car when it worked! But in the end BUYER BEWARE these engine coils with the moisture are a recurring problem. Research it for yourself.

(Sometimes) Ol Reliable
By Brittanyd

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was my first purchase. We bought it from a family friend who had it as an extra and didn't use it much. The owner before it put 113,000 miles on it. As soon as we got it all the eletronics went out- radio, clock, lights, etc. $700 all the dealership. Over the past 2 1/2 years we have sunk over $2,000 in repairs. We actually got it out of the shop again today. Thankfully, repairs for this car tend to be on the lower end and it's easy to find parts. Despite everything I'm in love with this car. It's just the right size, I love driving it, and the gas mileage doesn't seem as horrible to me because I take short trips.

Mazda Tribute Going Strong 160,000 mi.
By Susan Barry

2004 Mazda Tribute DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These are such well built, reliable SUVs. Our 2004 with 160,000 mi. has never broken down or failed to deliver power towing our 18" SeaRay boat back and forth between FL & WI. No problems ever in the motor, drive train, electronics, operational parts like doors, lights, AC, heat, seat controls, etc. We'll drive it on until we need to buy a new Mazda.

nice ride
By b. rod.

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

you should have all the cat. converters checked for clogges,ie rear 1 it will blow a hole in egr valve. costing about 285.00 , i had mine removed and replaced with pipe . resolved issues. cts will clogged from unburned gas causing motor to shut down. this pipe trick does the job. all happened at 121k. also keep gas filter changed. its on frame, easy to do.

I love my Tribute
By walker328

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this in September 2014, with about 96k miles on it. It has a few scrapes and a cracked rear bumper so I got it at a decent price. Evidently the one previous owner took excellent care of it (all scheduled maintenance performed), and it has run fine until this very rainy morning. Flashing engine light, weak acceleration, burning smell and chuggy movement led me straight to the repair shop. 3 out of 6 ignition coils and the spark plugs were just about spent causing it to misfire. Not a cheap repair due the intake manifold needing to be removed which is a pretty big deal. Plugs were due to be replaced anyway. All else looks good and now it's good to go for many more miles.

Good amount of cargo space, peppy and good pick-up, split rear seats, lovely dark red color, stereo is nice and loud.