Used 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

For a 2001, it's still a great car
By zedchild

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun to drive. The engine is more than enough, handling is beyond expectations when I bought it new, and still is today. There are a few things I don't care for: the master clutch cylinder is not a very robust design but I rebuilt the old one and added threads to the fluid feed point. That took care of that problem. While the car really is very peppy it'd not the type of car I'd wasn't to drive from the coasts to coast. Really the only things had to her was replace is wear items, breaks tires, things like that. The best thing I did was drain the organic oil and swap the filter. I've run synthetic the whole 250k (apx)plus miles, and the engine is still running like new (compression is like it only has 50k miles total.). The driver's seat is tearing on the front outside corner, but that is not a surprise. For the cost, it really was underrated. It is in the top 5 vehicles I have ever owned.

Great little starter car!
By Kim

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for our daughter's 16th birthday. She had it all through college and we just recently sold it to a friend for their daughters 16th birthday! Best little car around!! We kept up on all the maintenance and care , it has 184,000 miles on it and runs beautifully!! We would buy another Mazda for sure!!!

"The one car Mazda did right"
By TJ

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Let's be real, this is not a COOL car. However, it definitely is not an eye sore--especially for being 16 years old. I bought it in April with 71k miles on it for $1,400 (it had hail damage--just a cosmetic problem), and since then, it has been INCREDIBLY reliable. I actually like the interior, even though by now my radio and sound system is glitchy. I still listen to music on loud volume and it's fine. Here's an interesting fact for you... I work in Toyota sales and I told my sales manager what I drove and he said "That's the one car Mazda made right." Excellent first car or commuter car. Gas mileage is bearable, and the engine is peppy from a stop. I would encourage anyone to buy this car of they need cheap, reliable transportation.

Mazda Protege 2001 engine light on
By A. Ally

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had Mazda protégé 2001 with mileage over 350000 km. The engine light was on and this is because of the environmental or fuel vapor issue. I tried to repair and the light still came on. It was good on gasoline. The front brakes seem to wear faster than rear ones. Since owning this vehicle I had changed front brakes three times and once only for the rear brakes. The car was excellent driving on snow never got stuck. The steering wheel always pulls easily to the direction of the wind, makes it uncomfortable driving.

This car now is damaged and is right off after my wife rolled over on the gravel road. Thank you, God, she survived. One Strange thing is that none of the airbags exploded. Although my wife injured her arm I was expecting the airbags to pop up and protect her.

Bane of my existence
By Austin

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Made a huge mistake buying this car at about 130,000 miles. As soon as I left the lot I got a check engine light, obviously this is more my fault from buying from the used dealer, however it only gets worse. Had issues for months where the car would refuse to start at completely random intervals, INFURIATING. Spent roughly 800 dollars trying to fix the issue, mechanic finally figured it out after a couple months. Along the year I owned this thing i had to fix fans, replace the catalytic converter, and various other things. Last month the car starting overheating on me while on the highway and the timing belt blew. Car likely needs a new engine. I'm completely done with it.

Do yourself a favor and don't get a Mazda from the early 2000's, it's just not reliable and I'm 90% sure you will deeply regret your decision.