Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

BEST CAR EVER!
By LOVELOVE MIATA MX5

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 MX5 brand new. I live in San Francisco bay area and drive both city & fwy. I have not spent hardly any money in maintenance, just changed the oil, replace the battery (2x since 2001 to 2017), bought new tires and replaced the burnt out lights myself with a $9 bulb from the auto store. In 2016 I had MY VERY FIRST tune up and they replaced the spark plugs and did some other stuff. The bill was $250. Some crazy person damaged the convertible top so it was replaced by the insurance company 8 years into the cars life. I upgraded to used leather seats $300 and replaced the car mats to heavy duty mats I came across at Costco $30. With all convertibles it is not a matter of will they leak in the rain, it's a matter of "when". Mine started leaking in 2015. Even with the rubber weather stripping replaced $100 (parts and labor) it still leaks a tiny bit. I LOVE this car. The mileage is excessively good and it is a super fun car to drive. THE BACK END does spin a bit in the rain so don't punch it when you're turning a corner. I have also driven this car in a light snow storm in Tahoe and the aerodynamic of the top down at 55mph in a snow storm creates a perfect experience of no snow in the car! Super cool sleigh ride up interstate 80!! The car has no internet frills but if you want a fantastically reliable car that is fun to drive this is your car.

MX 5 Owner for more than a decade
By Brett Virginia Mx5

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable, simple, easy to work on, well engineered, not costly to fix, blast driving slow, blast driving like a go-cart, simple top without expensive hydraulics that go bad. Great 2nd or 3rd car to run around in. Great roadster. Looks great, wash car in 10-minutes due to size, park anywhere, top down in 40 degree weather because the heater is super hot. I have owned 30 cars and this was my most favorite to drive!

Best 2 seater for the money
By StephenB

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2001 now for a full year and still loving it. Trunk is larger than it looks fitting my golf bag or a decent Costo/Grocery trip. Power and suspension is balanced so any slightly curvy road is great fun - even at a "little" over the speed limit. There are plenty of these around. Search the forums for a list of check points. If you're not afraid of a wrench, you can do almost everything yourself. I got it at 145Kmi w/ not rust but some neglect. Projects done myself with the help of youtube were - new aftermarket headlights (sold original on ebay for the same price as aftermarkets); master/slave/hose clutch cylinder replacement, trans/diff/shift oil changes, new rubber shift boots, pulled carpet and cleaned; Costco seat covers; cleaned/painted dirty interior trim, top, wheels and side mirrors black; intake manifold removal/cleaning/reinstall (cleared P code); alternator replacement - all under $1K total. I don't have a lift so I did have the clutch replaced by a local Miata repair shop. Great car!
11/2017 - still going great. Highly recommend.

Mazda Miata 5 spd, leather inter, red convertible
By Sfitzgerald

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new car!! Fits like a glove! Her name is 'candy' for the candy apple red color!

Best car ever!
By miata_coastie

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 LS Miata as my first car. Mine is an LS with a 6-speed which makes it feel even sportier! I bought it as a fun but temporary car until I was able to upgrade to something with more power, but I've fallen in love. The car is so light that when paired with my summer performance tires I can fly around corners! So far I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and it sounds AMAZING! For those who want more power there are an endless amount of aftermarket parts for it from the intake and exhaust like I have to turbo's and even V-8's! Best car ever! NEVER getting rid of it! FYI if anyone's looking for an autocross car, look no further!

Handling, convertible, aftermarket parts selection, looks, responsiveness, reliability, simplicity.

None. Maybe...nope...what about?...Nah, that's good...how about the...nope that's good too. Yeah, can't think of anything.