Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
1...56789...15

Pros
Cons

Buyer Beware of Mazda

turpster, 08/30/2009

I have owned 2 Mazdas and probably will not again. Neither were vere good. The MPV at 35,000mi. needed the transmission flushed which was not a Mazda recommended service. The Mazda rep said even though the flush wasn't listed in the manual they recommended it be done or the warranty would be voided. 50,000mi. PCV hose replaced under warranty. The vehicle had always seemed not to run smoothly before and after hose replacement. The transmission is a myriad of issues in how it operates and its quirks. The final was the new hose failing again and something else causing the motor to run very rough and at half power. At "68,900mi." we clunkered it for a Honda. How about that for value retention?

$500.00+ for 6 spark plugs/tune up

no more mazdas 4me, 09/08/2009

Transmission went out at 50,100 miles during my stay in Dallas after evacuating hurricane katrina. Mazda paid about 45%. I have no boat, have not pulled anything, just three small kids then. The coil packs that replaced the spark plug wires are terrible. If you have a problem with any of the back 3 cylinders bend over!!! Tires seem to wear very fast, though evenly, on the potholes of New Orleans streets. I see I am not alone with these problems.

Good value

Nick072261, 10/25/2009

My wife & I purchased this mini-van with 12,000 and we now have 66,000 miles on this vehicle. Initial problems included the Shift Solenoid for the transmission, oil gasket and seals around timing chain case cover were replaced and a noise with the fan was fixed. All work was covered under the warranty. We have put on 40,000 miles since our problems without any other issues. The car has a V6 dohc Ford American made engine that was used in the Taurus. Funny thing is our problems were all related to the Japanese parts - go figure! Anyway, I would consider buying another if they were still being made. We plan to keep this car until it dies (hopefully not anytime soon)!

Very Surprised!!!

tgaines14, 06/20/2002

I must say that I am one of those guys who said that he would never own a minivan. Well, three kids later, and there's just not much that I could do about it. I researched the minivan market for quite some time, and ultimately chose this van. I have been very surprised with it. It has definitely exceeded all of my expectations. It is simply a great vehicle to drive.

So far, so good

BacktoMinivan, 06/24/2002

Coming from a fully loaded V8 Explorer, I am missing some nice little features like puddle lamps, auto on/off lights, and, strangely, door lock button on passenger side. But overall, I'm happy. Didn't want a minivan but this is a good compromise if you need one. Size-wise, it drives about the same as the Explorer, except without the bumpiness. I don't notice the power loss coming from a V8 too much. The air conditioner is already making a rattling noise, so I'm hoping that turns out okay.

AWSOME !!

MIKE JONES, 07/08/2002

Great van to drive

My New MPV

lphillips, 07/12/2002

I went from an Audi A4 to a loaded MPV. So far I'm happy. Vehicle handles great and has a very versatile interior. So far, the dealer has been great.Since IO've only had the MPV about a month, I will report again in 6 months to see if I am still happy.Looked at the Odyssey. It was too big and the dealers too greedy.

From M3 to Minivan

typhoon, 07/12/2002

Sold the M3 for a Forester for a minivan. Test drove the Honda, and it was 2nd best - the handling wasn't as good. The extra size of the Honda wasn't appealing to a family of 3. Regarding the 3yr/30K warranty, "Honda doesn't need a good warranty to sell it" was the dealer response. Laughable. Here's our take so far on the MPV. Handling is excellent. AC is excellent. The stereo is also very good. There is NO rotten egg smell (they must have fixed that. You can feel the bumps (reminds me of the M3), but more so in the back (where I never am!). Liked the 3rd row conversion options. The engine power is OK (we tow a sailboat).

zooming around

zoomingaround, 07/13/2002

Test drove 6 vans on the market and the Mazda won hands down. My wife didn't want a van but we needed it for the family. Bought the ES model with a sunroof, it is one of her favorite vehicals she has ever owned. Everytime we drive it she says "I love this van". It is roomy for seven, rides great, has better handling that any other van we tested, and the best value. After the dealer price and rebates we got this van with tons of features plus leather interior, duel sliding doors, sunroof, and great performance for the same price as the base price Honda. Anyone needing a van needs to seriously look at the Mazda.

A senior's opinion of MPV

fredsw, 07/18/2002

I have renamed my MPV. It is now a "Mature People Vehicle". So far it has been very user friendly for us. We are senior citizens and when we started looking for a new car it became obvious that it would serve so many uses for us. It is quick, comfortable,fun to drive(I am past the sport car period), tight and easy to enter and exit. It is plush enough and has as many features as a luxury car, but handles chores with ease.Mine is a 2002 ES with almost all options.The gas mileage could be better, but it stays within EPA range.The climate control is very effective, considering our heat this summer. It can freeze you out!

1...56789...15