Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Loved it... and now hate it
By Mark

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I started off loving the CX-7 and after having it for over a year I now hate it sadly. The engine makes excellent power, could easily make more, but is held back by the automatic trans. When in auto mode its ok but manual mode is an absolute joke. It takes so long to shift that without perfect timing it would never give optimal acceleration. A manual version, which they do have overseas, would really wake it up. We've had some issues, biggest being the a/c failing. I've seen others have the same a/c issues and dealerships seem to not be covering them under warranty. It eats tires. I could go on much more but don't have enough room to type all that's wrong. Won't buy a new Mazda again.

Engine, if you don't have problems with it, is decent. Heated seats. Xenon headlights, though Bi-Xenon would be better if properly made. Brakes are pretty good. Rear folding seats with quick release in rear. Front exterior styling. Good handling. Pretty good chassis, feels solid.

Gauges (new ones much better). A/C colder and its issues. TCS. Needs manual trans or much faster shifting. Reliability. Tire issue. 255/55/18 tires stock. Fuel system runs too rich, 17.5 mpg on the interstate... seriously? Auto climate control is a joke, turns on a/c when on floor mode for one.

My Experience With my MazdaCX7 so for...
By Siva

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this CX7 2008 model around Jan 09. Got huge discount... I got 6k less than msrp. great deal. Considered crv rav4 outlander forester and then closed in on mazda cx7 for its style and performance. So far I have put 15k miles ..drives great so for. Drove my car from batonrouge la to los angeles ca close to 1800 miles and didn't feel a bit tired... drove (9-10 hrs) for three days and took two breaks at junction tx and wilcox az. the whole trip averaged close to 24 which I am happy. texas stretch I drove at 80mph and averaged 21.4. I am tech guy / contractor so I go to diff places and my mazda cx7 gives me good company. la to san jose @ 60 mph gv me 28mpg. great car overall.

Bose Stereo / Ample front seat space / comfort / power / exterior style / brakes / ride quality / great car over all. I made the right choice buying this car / something special.

miss the mp3 support in my 6 cd changer / missing aux port / door screws / nuts kind of rusted not sure if it is normal... worried the same kind of nuts would hv been used inside my car /Otherwise happy with my car... keep up the good work mazda

2008 Mazda CX7 Review.
By Edward D'Eustachio

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great mid-size SUV. Handling above average but could be better. Fuel economy not good. Plenty of power. Would love to see this model in a hybrid. Would love to have been able to purchase the sun roof as a stand alone option.

Styling.

Hybrid engine. Tighter more responsive suspension.

engine problems
By wendy trotter

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have not owned my CX7 Touring for quite a year yet, next week will be a year, have 10,000 miles on it. Blue smoke & black smoke pouring out from engine, turbo very noisy. Took it to dealership, they took it right in,problems with the turbo on this vehicle. Also poor fuel economy takes premium gas. Will not keep this vehicle once warranty is out.

outside design,heated leather seats

less engine noise,better gas mileage, better stereo for $27,000 vehicle

2 years and still loving it
By Lisa

2008 Mazda CX-7 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car on an impulse the day before I moved to Colorado from Texas. I had driven a Mazda 6 for a few years before after converting from Honda, and was really impressed with the company, so decided to give the new sporty SUV a try...it was a great choice! I normally don't like driving SUV's or trucks because they feel too big, and the CX-7 is a perfect fit for me! I have the black on black model and adore driving it. I take it to the mountains all year and it handles great, even in thick snow and icy conditions. I'm always the one volunteering to drive when it's time for road trips and such, and I usually hate driving. Overall, it's a great car with solid looks and performance.

Driving it, of course! Also love the looks, both interior and exterior. Holds my ski's in the winter and my bike and dog in the summer.

Gas mileage, my recent drive to TX averaged about 20 mpg highway.