Used 2016 Mazda CX-3 Consumer Reviews

Used CX-3 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Mazda Cx-3 Touring - 5 months in

Matt B., 01/21/2017
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned Hondas, VWs and Hyundais. This is my first Mazda and I am impressed now about 6k miles in and through the first recommended service. I am approaching my review with a comparison to those types of cars, this is not a true luxury brand, so when I say things are "great", it is in comparison to say a Honda SUV, not an Audi. If you pay 10k more for a car, you get more. I find the ride, which for me is a mix of highway and local roads everyday, to be smooth and pretty quiet. I am easily able to achieve the listed MPG and typically land around 30ish. Note that I do my own calculation based on miles traveled and gas put in as the onboard computer does over estimate by about 1mpg it seems. I find the seats to be comfortable up front for me, although they are almost all the way back (im 6'). I have been able to fit a fair amount of stuff on a trip to Lowes/Home Depot into this thing with the seats down. Its not huge, but for standard household projects, it gets the job done. So far zero issues in the world of maintenance. On the negative side, and these are things you just have to decide if they matter to you are - no interior storage. The cup holder locations are awful for any cup/mug that is sort of tall as it is under the front armrest. The glove box is pretty much all you have aside from some small bins in the doors. As mentioned, the backseat is cramped if you have people 5'9" or taller in the front. you will nto be taking 4 adults on a road trip in this car with or without luggage. The gas tank for the AWD version is 11.9 gallons. Not a deal breaker for me, but with my old Hondas and Hyundais I could typically get close to 400ish miles per fill up, its 300 on this one AND the low fuel indicator is out of whack (several owners report this). The "25 mile range" comes on for me when i estimate I have almost 75 miles left, and it shows zero range left and I can fill up to see there is still almost 2 gallons in the tank. I have asked Mazda at my local dealership about this and they just shrug. Overall I recommend the car, with the biggest note being, make sure the space is right for your needs.

Small AWD fully loaded!! Love my CX-3!

Lauren Benoit, 02/23/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My previous vehicle was a 07 Kia optima that didn't even have traction control.... My terrible snow experience with this vehicle convinced me my next car MUST have AWD. I test drove all the SUV style vehicles but really didn't want something so big. Also within my budget I always had to settle for the base model. Until I stumbled upon this gem! One of my biggest issues is I will NOT drive a CVT transmission.... I want to feel the shifting and almost all makers are trying to convert to this. But not Mazda! I was able to get the touring (mid level) with the moonroof and BOSE stereo system. The heated seats are amazing and the seat is extremely comfortable. The back seats are perfect size since I don't have passengers very often. The trunk isn't deep but the height is great. I think it is the same as my previous vehicle. I keep catching myself speeding in this fun to drive little Mazda! I have never felt so connected to the road. I still cant believe I was able to find a vehicle loaded with all these features within my price range! If you are considering a smaller AWD vehicle I highly suggest you test drive this amazing Mazda!!

Love it!

Angel, 06/12/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my CX-3! I bought it shortly after its debut when my Jetta TDI was totaled (not my fault). So, I've owned it about 7+ months so far. It is just fun to drive, and the added sensors and features really help out a lazy driver like myself. The leather/suede seats are very comfortable for such a low-cost car, and although the CX-3 is more like a hatchback overall, the driver seating feels like an SUV. I've gotten about 29.7 MPG average between highway and city overall, so about what was advertised. I've been complimented many times about the look of the car by strangers and friends, but perhaps it's just because the car does look rather unique, at least compared to most cars driven around in the US. Besides my concerns about how cheaply the car is actually made (see the next paragraph), my only major qualms are the ridiculously small interior and trunk and the lack of outlets/connectivity for the back seats. I wanted a small vehicle, but I expected the CX-3 to at least be able to carry as much as a sedan. My Jetta could hold significantly more luggage or whatever else (like 3 medium dogs comfortably). The size and make-up of the interior just prevents transporting a lot of items - definitely not friendly for family vacations. I'm thinking about getting a hitch installed or rails on the roof just to provide more options to carry. And it seems silly for there not to be a fold-down armrest in the back seat with cup holders and a USB or AC/DC outlet. Otherwise, my kids (4 & 14) enjoy the "stadium" seating, even the teenager. Don't think you could fit three people back there though - pretty much impossible. But... about two months ago, I was stupid enough to back up into a pole in a parking lot (just wasn't paying attention), and the bumper and rear panels were damaged. Unfortunately, the blind spot sensor was also damaged. What I have learned from the repairs and the accident overall is that this car will not hold up in any sort of fender-bender. Furthermore, while the repair shop was able to fix all but the blind spot sensor, the Mazda dealership took 3 weeks to fix the sensor (and did so incorrectly 3 times). So, basically I was without my car for 3+ weeks because Mazda did not train its technicians on the new technology in their vehicles. If there are any issues with the blindspot sensors, the bumper and rear fender flares must be removed and will probably be damaged (the dealership went through 2 bumpers and 2 sets of flares fixing the sensor). I do worry about getting into an accident in the future and the car just buckling and crumbling, or that if any of the sensors are messed up that it will take a nightmare to fix them. Most likely I will buy a vehicle next time with higher crash-test ratings (and at least pre-established US safety ratings). Update: It's been a year and I still love my car. I still get compliments on its sporty look, and I've had no recent problems.

Awesome car

Dave Goldfarb, 11/24/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Got the GT. So much faster than I was expecting from a 2.0L. Love it so far

Handles like a sports car

Dave Newberry, 12/24/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is an amazing Sub SUV. Handles like a sports car, safety and technology are amazing for the price point. Fun to drive like nothing in the class. Interior materials match much more expensive vehicles. The only drawback is the small interior space. If you need space get the CX5. My wife drives the 2015 CX5 and loves it. But this CX3 is a kick to drive. HUD is really cool. Recommendation for Mazda, don't over complicate your technology. There are more steps to switch, set up or navigate than necessary. It is very intuitive, but feels like everything takes one or two steps more than are really necessary. Obviously, this did not deter me as it is similar to the 2015 CX5 we have put over 45K and and love it still. Loved this CX3. Driven in rain, snow and dry pavement so far, amazing traction. Well a year plus later, I still. Love this ride. Great handling in the snow, we have 4 AWD vehicles, this one is like other brands that wait for a slip before engaging AWD. However, it works exactly as designed every time. I live on a steep hill, with a steep uphill driveway to get to the road. Without having to drive a beast or a German car, this is the perfect fit for us. Nice Job Mazda! 2 Years later and a couple winters under my belt, I am still a fan of this little Compact SUV. Everything I loved, I love more and the snow and ice traction are all I could have hoped for. The interior is small, but this little beast handles like a Miata in the mountain roads. Not for those who hall a lot of stuff or have regular backseat passengers. But for commuters in the Northeast who want some fun driving on winding roads.... I highly recommend the Mazda CX3. Another year and still enjoying the ride. This car is a bit small for a family but perfect for 1-2 people. I added an OEM Roof Rails and Bars so I could handle ski's and occasional long item form the lumber yard. Still a great looking vehicle and fun to drive like a sports car but with AWD for the snow and ice in CT. Mazda lives up to Zoom Zoom with this car. Make sure to update the tech on this. It has had several versions of NAV/Infotainment updates. Some early versions were quirky, but latest updates have made the entire experience very solid.

12345...11