Used 2014 Maserati Ghibli Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Ghibli for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Budget Maserati sound, handling, and performance.

Jason S, 10/13/2017
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

If you are looking for all the excitement and panache of a Maserati, but on a tighter budget, you will be very pleased with this vehicle. If you think you have somehow stumbled across a $150,000 car for half price, you will be disappointed. On the used market, these cars are a great buy, but don't expect the hand crafted interior of a Bentley. A high end Italian sport sedan on a budget has to have compromises, and they can be found on the quality of materials, Chrysler sourced components (the nav interface is actually quite good, albeit cheap looking), and lack of high end features. The driving experience however, is all Maserati with one of the most intoxicating exhaust notes I have ever heard. The power, sound, handling, brakes, and overall performance are everything you would hope them to be. Let's be honest, a major reason for buying the car is the name, and I can say it does get just as much attention as you would expect. When it's time for service, do your self a favor and take it to an independent, although the aftermarket parts market is all but nonexistent. Hopefully this will change as more of these cars reach a mature age and numbers increase. While I think this car is tough to justify at the new price of competitors, it is truly a great buy on the used side and the chance for the average guy to own a real Italian exotic super sedan.

FEAKER

Ari, 11/06/2016
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

WYSIWYG. Not bad at all. There is considerable lag when you punch the gas, unless you pre-rev it. The power is, however, astonishing for a car weighing over two tons. Comfort is better than many snobs acknowledge, as are the controls. I have hit nearly 30mpg on the highway at 80-85mph over distances, so the fuel consumption is better than expected. The handling, even in rain or snow, is very good. Obviously, it looks great. I have not had much in the way of maintenance trouble, though there have been a number of recalls (fixed for free). The pain job is unfortunately susceptible to dings, especially on the hood, and Maserati to date has not offered any touch-up paint, so one would need to get a clear plastic protector or periodic paint jobs.....The bluetooth is not the best, as it is much better in cheaper cars like Acuras. It requires much effort to set up, and the quality is not the greatest either.

Perfect lease car

johnfsteph, 12/04/2014

I've had my car since mid October 2014 and so far no major problems. The car drives really nice and the exhaust is fantastic. My only complaint are the small rattles in the car. Nothing too big, just a little annoying. I am confident the dealer will resolve when I bring it in for service...

Wonderful Car

Chuck Easttom, 04/10/2015
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I always drive upper end cars and trade every 2 years...I think I will keep this one. It is great to drive and feels wonderful. I have had Jaguars, Cadillac's, Mercedes, even a Bentley Continental...but the Ghibli is a sublime combination of Jaguar performance with Cadillac comfort and Bentley curb appeal.

Still Not Impressed

Kingsley Ozoude, 02/23/2015
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had my Ghibli QS4 since July, 2014. The car has the worst 'upgraded' radio of any car most readers of this review has today. The dealer replaced my amplifier but the problem persists. The airflow to the floor is terrible, comes out mostly at the windshield. That they also don't know how to fix. The seat belt clip is low that it takes spraining ones back just to click the seat belt. The car even would not start on 2 occasions, embarrassing! It's a shame that since 1914, Maserati has not figured out these seemingly simple things. If you have more than $75K to spend, you better spend it on a car with luxury and performance. I own high end BMW, MB, Porsche, AUDI. Ghibli is a disgrace. In addition to the above, none of the above issues have been resolved. I now have a few more years of driving this car since my last review. Unlike other new, high end cars, it would be nice if adaptive cruise control, touchless homelink and touchless start could be incorporated into the vehicle. Most of these could be done by computer updates, I have since bought a new Tesla Model X. Only a nimble car company will survive in the future. The car still has an awesome engine and braking system, but that's about it. I will not buy this car today! I almost forgot that there is NO good way to charge your phone or other electronics because it does not have a charging USB port and the cigarette lighter receptacle is too shallow that I have literally tried more than 8 different ones and none of them fits well. Even something as simple as that is beyond this mess called a car! I took it to the dealership and they had no solution. This is an update on August 28th 2019. None of the issues listed above has been resolved to date. I still will not buy this car today based on the competition that is out there. Only the engine and the braking system are still the great parts of the car. Everything else falls seriously short.

My worst luxury car experience

Fernando Mazzoni, 06/09/2016
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

If you are looking for a reliable car, this is not the one. Don't let you drive for the awesome exterior design. In six month has been 4 times at the dealer because of several issues. They said the car has 400 horse power. My mistake was not to ask what kind of horses were those. Looks like they are hungry small ponies. The fuel consumption is insane for what you get. Forget about acceleration. I had a Diesel Porche Cayenne before and that was really fast. I've paid for an upgrade for the sound system ... the sound is worst than a cheap Korean car. The quality of the screen for the rear camera is the same one I got with my old Commodore 64 in the 80'. If you want to buy something to drink do not expect to find a cup holder where your drink will fit. The mats are going to be wherever they want, the clips are not going to hold them. Sits are design to drive short distance. Diver sit couldn't be more uncomfortable. If your plan is to travel and leave the car in the Garage, make your trip shorter than 3 weeks otherwise you will need a battery charger. My advise...with this money you fill find sever other options better than this one.

Stay away from Maserati

talegadr, 06/12/2015
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned a Maserati Ghibli Q4 for the past year. As a 53 year old man who has driven many luxury cars in the past, my word of advise is to stay away from this car. I have never experienced so many problems with a car as I have with this one. And it's not only the car, their costumer service is absolutely ridiculous. I get a lot more service from the Toyota dealers than the Maserati people. Save yourself a huge headache and maybe a suicide note. Stay away from the name Maserati.

2.5 Years in and I've learned my lesson

Sam K., 06/01/2016
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've been an S-Class owner for 15 years, but decided that I wanted to go small. The Maserati Quattroporte was a looker, but I was familiar with its issues. Hence, the Ghibli made a lot of sense on paper. Price was right, size was right, looks were right. Ordered the car without knowing the price. When it was delivered, my word it was like the first time I saw an R8, it was gorgeous. However, after owning it, I've found it to be a Chrysler in an Armani suit. The transmission is clunky and slow in comfort mode, but too aggressive in sport. It'd be nice if there was an auto mode to filter that issue. The car is TOO LOW. It scrapes everything. For a mid-size sedan, why must I treat every incline like a Ferrari. A lift-system is necessary. The brakes are the most sensitive and inconsistent I've ever felt. I thought that my A8 was difficult to modulate, but this Ghibli is another animal. Lastly, the maintenance....it's a sub-$90k car full optioned, so why is the maintenance the same as a Bentley. You'll be paying easily $1,200 for an annual maintenance. Save yourself the money and purchase a proper German vehicle..unless you enjoy teenage boys taking pictures of your car wherever you go. That's my two-cents.

No all weather tires???

drdom80, 04/03/2015
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased the 2014 Ghibli and what they neglected to tell me is that it doesn't have all weather tires. You need winter tires and summer tires. If the weather drops to 50 degrees or below, the tires sense the cold and cuts the fuel to the engine causing a severe "bucking" feeling when pulling onto a main road from a stop street. Masserati isn't doing anything about this issue and they have been the worst customer service company I have ever dealt with. I would not recommend Maserati to anyone. I call to speak with someone and all you get is a voicemail or they are always in a meeting. If you leave a message you're lucky if they call you back. Horrible customer service.

Don't waste your money!

Pier Barattolo, 04/26/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We leased a Ghibli 2.5 years ago worst mistake we have ever made - the car has had endless recalls, spends more time on AAA truck being ferried to the dealer and at dealer than us driving it. We had issues with the gas pedal where it would get stuck and suddenly accelerate at full throttle - nearly got killed. Totally unreliable. No one in the house wants to drive it, not even my 17 year old! Maserati USA washing its hands of it because they keep fixing whatever goes wrong with it, and it is always something else! Total waste of money, would never drive one again. You should think twice before parting with your cash.

Nice Car But Expected More

Doug, 02/10/2016
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The car is a beautiful design and it comes at a fair price point. However, at the same token, I expected a lot more for the price. I traded in a 2012 Merceds-Benz C300 4Matic and the Mercedes had more reliable features than the Maserati! And aside from the power of the Maserati, the performance of the Mercedes was comparable (and much less costly). I do hear a slight rattle at time in the front that of course the dealer can not replicate. Additionally, I hear a "swooshing" sound at all speeds (perhaps this is the Turbo intake but it is distracting and seems a bit odd to me. Dealer denies any issues found). By far the worst feature on the car is the Garmin navigation. It is horrible! It often just shuts off (very annoying when in the middle of finding where I am) and resets. Literally happens at least 4-5 times in a one hour trip. Never had a single time where it did not do this. Horrible. The Mercedes GPS - 100% reliable, 100% of the time. I understand most cars are going to this but the lack of a hard copy user manual is a bit frustrating. The Sirius radio also does not have as many available features as I had on the Mercedes. All that said, it is a head turner and I really like the design and it does not give me much trouble. Would I buy one again? Probably not, but again it is not a terrible car.

THE BEST SOUNDING Chrysler you cant afford

KED, 11/22/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Pros: Sounds Great, Has Maserati badges, big trunk, decent front seats.. EVERYTHING else is a con. $11000 repair because a bolt on the sub-frame connector broke because the car is so low. $4800 brake and tire job. Ive had 4 alignments in less then a year. The customer service is brutal unless you pay out the ass for their premium customer service. I CANT WAIT for this lease to be end. It would take an INSANE deal for me to even entertain the thought of getting another Maserati and even at that it would only be the Levante. This is not a good everyday driver. The minute there are more than 2 people in the car it bottoms out when you hit a rock. The Front end constantly feels like its on ice skates. If you are willing to spend the money go for a German car OR even an import. Shoot I would go as far as saying get the Genesis 90 over this car.

I love the performance

csperling, 02/18/2014

I love the sleek and sexy look of the car....performance is incredible and sound is amazing...it ends there... ...inside the vehicle you would not expect to find the following lack of quirks and lack of details from the manufacture; THOUGH HERE THEY ARE: constant rattles from the glove box, dashboard, rear doors, windows and rear seats. Window seals inviting in the open road air in as you drive. The worst sound system I have ever had in any vehicle. Car floor mats which are of the lowest quality I have ever had. The CHEAPES PAINT "MICA' which scratches if you blow on the vehicle too hard.. Even with all of the above conditions, driving the vehicle is still a pleasure and an art.

My Favorite Car Ever

lordselkirk, 10/16/2014

We've had our Ghibli for over seven months now and absolutely love it! It is everything we expected and more. There has not been a single second we've regretted the purchase. This car is just what we wanted - very sexy inside & out, very fast (easy to hit 100 without knowing it!), and very comfortable. The shape excites my eye, the leather smell excites my nose, and the sound excites my ears. It is a joy to walk out to this car each day.

waste of my money

Alex, 08/22/2017
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased a Maserati Ghibli SQ4 in 2014.The first week this car developed electronic issues and I had to go to dealer few times and drive a loaner for 3 weeks to get it fixed. The transmission stops at Reverse mode and does not go all the way to the Parking mode easily after you park your car, A few times car moved back caused dangerous situations for me.It was a recall on it but they could not fix it.The mirrors has a larger blind-spot area compare to other cars.Sound system and Bluetooth stops working sometimes and I have to turn the engine on and off to makes it work again and dealer did not find any solution for it.There was about 10 recalls on this car since 2015 and I had to make appointments to drop it off at dealer to fix it.It is very inconvenient if you have a busy day schedule to commit yourself to amount of services that this car requires.The loaner from Maserati while your car is in the dealer for repair or service is from car rental companies and it is not even a Luxury car usually.The appointments to fix this car was long and I had to drive my other car in between when there was a major problem with this car. For example the engine oil pressure light went on and the the dealer was booked for the next 2 weeks and I had to drive my other car meanwhile .Very disappointed with Maserati and I do not recommend this car.

looks great, sounds good but quality .....

jay, 12/11/2019
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

bought the SQ4 with 20k miles on it, loved it, took good care of it, did all the service. the car looks really nice and sounds great, decent amount of power actually pretty good in snow BUT I owned the car for about a year put on around 10k miles on it, didn't abuse it or redline it much, every month or two something breaks on the damn car, some things like A/C don't work due to a tiny leak, the build in sub for the sound system rattles like crazy, burns oil like crazy (dealer told me it was normal? yeah right), nav system freezes and glitches, some times the screen just won't turn on, steering wheel clicks when turning and the thing that made me get rid of the car was valve train issue, hear a metal on metal sound that match the rev, pulled the oil filter and saw shiny metals in oil, was told warranty was over 2 weeks before this and it would need a new engine at 30k miles. I love the car even with the small issues but new engine at 30k made me give up on the car.

Ghibli SQ4

pluther, 12/03/2013

Purchased the Ghibli SQ4 after being a BMW 5 series driver for over a decade. There are so many BMW's on the road now that they are just not that unique anymore. The Ghibli seemed like a very unique option and I am overall very pleased. I only have 500 miles on the car but it has been a lot of fun. The Ghibli is not a luxury car...it's a true sports car that is built do drive. It has a firm ride (which I love) and it's pretty noisy compared to BMW or Mercedes but that's what I wanted. It's handling and exhaust are second to none in this class...really awesome. The paddle shifters work terrific and shift instantly unlike many competitors. The car design is beautiful!

Chryslerati.....no thanks

Olliesimone, 03/11/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

German cars are in a different galaxy. An m5 or S6 humiliates this car. Heck I have an x5 diesel that Drives waaay better than this. A supper laggy throttle, Parts from the Chrysler parts bin throughout the poorest stereo of any car I have ever been in this includes a rented Nissan Versa ( worst car ever built) etc etc. I dumped this thing after 4000 miles. Chrysler running the show is a huge mistake for this iconic brand. Stay far away and until they make a sea change in the design and approach just stick with a German brand.

Great luxury car at a class above for great price!

Eve5150, 08/02/2017
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Breaks squeaking at a close to stop is common w these cars. Other Han that I have lived every minute of owing my new- used vehicle. Everything I expected and more!!!!!

what did we expect?

Tincho45, 07/21/2019
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a used Ghibli sq4 with 28k+. Apart from the Nav system and the sound, yes it lets you down for quality and "luxury". I have not had a problem with it. Yes it is pretty low, not suitable for cities roads with a great amount of pot holes, suspension travel is limited. The looks are great, the tan interior is wonderful. The power band in "ICE" mode is not the greatest. Things start to change dramatically in manual or sport mode, the electric steering has a little "hole" in the middle of going left or right, but it gets stiffer in the sport mode, as expected. If you are looking for a confortable smooth ride, hardly no noise from the road, etc, then yes go for a mb or bmw with a higher ride Hight, bigger profile tires etc. I love it.... mop reported limp mode from transmission or any other problems that I could find after spending 1 hr inspecting it before purchase on a lift and then on a 10 minute dirve.

Italian Beauty

David, 02/16/2020
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Did a ton of research before purchasing used 2014 Ghibli with 70k miles. So far car has been great and I'm not sure why there was so many negative reviews. I like the fit and finish, car is solid but weighs ~5500 lbs. Great exhaust sound and a joy to take on long trips. Only negatives - entertainment system lights are too bright at night and backup camera image is grainy.

not a good car

unhappy, 07/28/2016
S Q4 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The worst when it comes to how low it is. It scrapes everything and then we are required to pay for the fixes. It must be raised! Car is shop constantly. Not a safe car!

Man what a car!!

happy1147, 05/12/2014

I love my car. Fast and handles well on WV roads. Makes my Corvette look like family sedan. Great performance and an eye pleaser especially when my blonde wife drives it. Made a few Camaro and Mustang believers when the old man leaves them in the breeze. Go Trident!!

A real looker!

Joe D, 03/14/2016
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Just go for test drive. That's all I have to say. I have ( 2014 Q4 )

51050