Used 2000 Lincoln LS Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used LS for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

You get what you pay for

youngun123, 01/29/2014

in the end it all comes down to how the car is maintained and taken care of. Mine, a 2000, gen1, maintained, documented since its purchase, two owners ago was good to see when purchasing the vehicle. Typically people only write a review on this website if they are very un satisfied and did not take care of the vehicle. Rarely does a middle of the road person or satisfied person write a review, ever. so far, 30,000 miles into the purchase of the vehicle (127k when i bought it, 157k now) no issues. Only basic oil changes, trans fluid, etc. If you use premium gas, your coils do not burn up and the engine will be fine. This perticular one has ran on premium since it was purchased.

Fun Car, Stylish, not worth the Repairs

notsoavgcarguy, 10/15/2012

Where to start? I bought this car used back in 2008 with about 70,000 miles on it. I loved it when I bought it - excellent power, quick, superb handling, beautiful car inside and out. Then it started to drain my account. Once it hit 90,000 miles it started to fall apart. I had to replace the front ball joints, $1,000. Because it's a Jag with a Lincoln brand, you're paying for foreign parts along with extremely high labor due to its tight fit and weird part locations under the hood. You should know this up front. Coils and Valve Cover Gaskets ran me about $1,000. Air bag light was always on though I never bothered to have that checked out. I babied this car and it just took my money.

Unless you make six figures...DON'T BUY

Procks55, 06/18/2010

I bought this when I was in my early twenties before I knew about researching a vehicle, now in my late twenties I know better. I understand vehicles come with some repairs however my list of repairs are ridiculous: Plugs, Coils and Valve cover gaskets replaced on both sides twice, new transmission, new alternator, two bad wheel bearings, bad ball joint, two window regulators (my fault) and my favorite feature is when it is super cold in our MN winters it doesn't like to start very much. What a joke, some of the things listed could pertain to my driving habits but not all of them. All in all unless you are a millionaire forget about it.

I hope this review saves you from making the same mistake I did

dunndarryn, 11/28/2012

Don't buy this car if you have any kind of budget to live on. My mom bought my LS when it had 60k miles in 2006 and gave it to me in 2011 and I sold it in November 2012. It was beautiful for a while but as the miles stacked up, so did the problems. Between the money we both had to put into that car in repairs to keep it running, we paid for it at least 3 times. They are beautiful cars but they are problematic and expensive to fix. If you are dead set on getting an LS, get a Gen. 2 (2003-2006) with LOW miles and do your research before making a decision! I can't stress that enough.

Cautious Optimism

-H-, 07/22/2010

Some of the reviews I have read are very scary. I have been somewhat fortunate so far, but have had some of the more common malfunctions mentioned in other reviews. The car had 70k miles on it when purchased. It now has 105k on it. It is a rear wheel drive car and does handle terribly in the snow. I have had 1 window malfunction, the air condition did blow out hot and cold air at the same time, and the ball joints caused the steering to shake. These repairs totaled around $750, and that is it so far. None of the malfunctions caused the car to break down, but were recommended repairs. Around 25 mi per gallon. If that is all that happens I will be very happy with this ride.

An American Success

reporter7, 02/11/2002

Although I've always been partial to european sports sedans, aside from a lack of "snob appeal" the LS V8 offers as much fun and more value than most of the offerings from across the pond. The drive train is faultless -- excellent power, silky smooth, and trouble-free. The ride/handling trade-off is well judged, and the balance possible with rear-wheel drive will be a revelation to those who have become accustomed to front-drivers.

great road car

jimboh55, 05/17/2009

Purchased new. Wifes Car now has 102000 miles and is 9years old. Car has been a joy to drive and reliable. Have only four fixes not under warrany two window hardware fixes - head gaskets leaked oil and a differential rebuild which was my fault as I missed a fluid replacement maintenance required at 50000 -the differential started whining at about 98000 miles and found it to be full of metal filings. Have had an electrical fix and leaky exhaust gaskets (both under warranty). The only driveability problem I have noticed is that if I am going very slow in second gear and really punch it, it will go into first and stay there up to 5000 rpm. Not a major problem for us.

Best value for a used luxury car & FAST

Chris, 08/27/2005

I do quite a bit of driving, and sometimes, unfortunately, some quick driving on 2 lane roads when I'm running late to the courthouse (I'm a lawyer.) This car is prestigious, inexpensive and an absolute blast to drive. I was just rear ended the other day and I'm hopeful that my car isn't totalled--I really enjoy it. I suppose if it is, I'll look for another V8 LS.

A "10" in the curves

Tino, 02/17/2006

Car owned: 2000 LS V8 w/Sport Suspension package. This is one of the BEST HANDLING sport sedans on the market; end of story. I am a driving enthusiast and will say that I push this car hard in the corners every chance I get. The LS responds by carving like a pair of giant slalom skis on packed snow. Torque is a bit low as this affects off- the-line acceleration. The car has muscular, yet sexy body lines. It is a dream to drive an own. Unfortunately, the wife steals it out of the garage before I can get my hands on the keys... Such is life.

2000 Lincoln LS

Jack, 11/29/2006

Ride is great! Some items that have failed are not things I would have expected from a Lincoln. Headlamps, trunk leak, 3 window regulators so far, moonroof control button and seat back are main items that have failed. Brakes and tires wear quickly. Sorry to see it end its production. Hope new MKS will be just as exciting a ride. Lincoln needs a good Hot Rod.

Wow

lumby, 11/10/2012

Recently picked up a 2000 ls v8 with sport package. The car is as clean as a whistle. Ive owned bmw, mercedes, jaguar, saab, acura, infiniti's, dodge's, fords, chevys.....this is in my top 5 of cars... Beautiful looking, and that slight growl of the v8 under the hood hits a perfect note. The seats are comfortable yet supproting, the stereo is amazing, the cockpit feel is amazing.In fact my last bmw was a 2000 540i and believe the acceleration on the lincoln is peppier and more refined. I would never buy one new, but for a mere $2300 for this car, you really cannot go wrong. If you want some fun, refinement, and not look like too pretentious this is the ride. You must make sure its clean!

Best Ever

Ginger Wilson, 03/17/2016
V8 4dr Sedan

I love this car, that's why I've been driving it for so long. I especially love it's comfort, cargo space and speed. Hope it lasts forever.

money taker not for the weak of heart

larry smith, 12/25/2015
V8 4dr Sedan

please what ever u do do not buy this car i havent had this car a year and starting having problems tranmmison has going out in heat ac dosent work and the sad part is i still owe on the car never again i will but another car like this junk

An opportunity Ford/Lincoln screwed up! Don't buy!

totaljett, 04/29/2014

I purchased my Lincoln LS V6 with 67,000 Miles in 2003. I still have it today with 228,000 miles. The LS is like a beautiful lady, high maintenance and unpredictable. I will admit I cringe when looking at past repair bills but hey, what's done is done. My LS is still gorgeous and I intended to get my money back out of it. Yet I've warned people who admire it that they had better not get one. I've repaired things on this I've never had to deal with before. My other car is a 2000 Infiniti Q45. I've replaced the struts on it and egr valve.......that's it.

Pleasure to drive

Rich B, 09/16/2006

This car is by far the best car I have ever owned. After 6 years of driving it I still look foward to driving it everywhere we go,and I have 3 other cars. It's the best looking car from any view especially the front. It's still solid and quiet as the day I bought it. I would recommend this car to all who want a great driving experiance over the long haul. P.S It's also the best value out there for the price.

Don't waste your money!!!!

cgoodwin, 06/21/2006

A headache is all you will get from this car! So far, the transmission, 3 window motors, air conditioning valves, 2 thermostats, water container, and center control console have all been replaced. The chrome around the door handles are peeling off, control buttons are falling off....the car is the most expensive piece of crap I've ever owned. I had a rental car for the entire 03 summer because they couldn't fix the problem. Ford has terrible customer service!! They do not stand behind there product at all. When the thermostat was replaced 2 months in a row, Ford quickly claimed, "Ford does not warranty the parts. It is preventative maintenance."

Lovin my affordable Jag

hhinnh, 09/03/2011

Little known to the average consumer but the lincoln LS is on a jag base with a jaguar engine. That may explain some of the touchy behaviors and high repair track records. Just got my 2000 LS because it has bad valve gaskets/cooling system issues . Its fixed and now on the road. My husband is a mechanic so we were able to do it oursleves cheap. Its a tight squeeze in the engine compartment and requires a lot of special tools and lots of labor /time to do simple repairs (hence the costs) This has been a great car so far, though I am leery as I know the history with Jaguars reliability. So don't nock ford or Lincolns for this one, its the choice in engines and drivetrains thats the problem

Near Perfect

OSCN, 06/23/2009

A pleasure to drive, quick when needed and handles like a sports car. Comfortabe on long trips, reasonable mileage (25 mpg hwy) for engine (V8) and performance. Only "problem," I have had to replace plug/coil assemblies. I question some of the negative comments above/below and cannot help but wonder if regular maintenance and reasonable care had been taken. My opinion, best car from Detroit in years!

10 year track record with LS

Old Guy, 11/13/2009

I am about to sell my LS. It has 246,564 m. Not all perfect, but, it is the best car I owned. 3 transm. The first after 19 miles The second after 79,000. If considering an LS with an original transm and it changes hard, run away. They made a design change because the third transmission is smooth and winds out really nicely. I always used synthetic oil, had typical failures. Believe it or not it has the original spark plugs and muffler. Changed tires to Michlins. First set had 120,000. Current 101,000 m. It is good buy for a sedan with a V8. V8s cost an extra 10 grand today. I have put off buying new because I could not find something I liked as well. May buy MKS w/V6. I love V8s.

WHAT A GREAT LINCOLN

COBRAJ, 02/26/2010

I was looking for a mid-full size luxury car. Compared to BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac this was by far the best selection. Ten years later I'm still overjoyed on my LS Sport. My friends who bought the Bimmer and MBs have already traded their cars in due to repair costs. Over the course of 10 years I've only had $1200 in costs not associated with the normal wear and tear. Terrific handling, comfort and creature comforts make the LS a great buy. In fact I'm looking for a 2006 Ultimate edition now! Great job FLM!

Great Road Car

jimbo, 07/05/2010

Wife's car: Great road car 27-28mpg. have had to rebuild differential $1000 in 09, This year new rack and pinion & ball joints $1000, 07 two new coils and valve gaskets $900. We plan to keep this car although future repairs may change out decision. Car is a joy to drive we do many road trips. Ford recommends prem. we use regular no problems re reg at all over the years

10 year ownership

jimboh55, 09/11/2010

Purchased new in 2000. No problems for first 7 years. Now am concerned. In last few years had to replace some coils, valve cover gaskets($1000), rebuild differental ($1000),replace front ball joints ($459),replace rack and pinon ($650),replace alternator ($450),fix airbag system (light stayed on -$400).replace driver window system ($400) Hope no more problems Car is a great road car and is wifes daily driver. We have used for multiple road trips (130000 miles) over the years.Outside of current repair concerns we love the car. Only other complaint is poor interior storage. We get 27 - 28 mpg on road trips.

Reliability?

jimboh, 09/16/2010

Should I keep? Car was great for first 8 years (purchased new in 2000) no maintenance issues. In the last couple of years had differential rebuilt at 100k ($1000), new rack and pinon ($650) new front ball joints ($450) broke while driving car and car slammed down onto street-luckily was going slowly and no damage to car or driver. Replaced a couple of coils and valve cover gaskets ($850). On current trip (am in pa.- alternator went bad ($390.) luckily was a few miles from a Lincoln dealership in okla. City car now has 130,000 miles and has been fine since those few repairs so hope for the best. Am very careful about maintenance do transmission, radiator every 50,000 and (now) will now do differential also

Not so great

Pamela Daniel, 11/03/2010

I bought the LS with 48,000 miles on it in 2006. Beautiful car. Within a year, I had to replace both rear window motors. The next year, I had to replace both front window motors. One of which went out during a move to another state during a snow storm. Then I had to replace one of the rear window motors again. Have had to replace the coil packs. The CEL light came on within 2 weeks of purchase and will not stay off after repeated "fixes". On top of what I originally paid for the car, I've spent approximately $5,000 on repairs not associated with normal maintenance. Still, I love the way the car drives. Now the seat motors are dying. Guess its time to say goodbye.

Love the LS

Clayborn1, 01/24/2004

I have never thought I would drive a Lincoln, but when they rolled out the LS, I had to have one and I am glad I gave them the chance. I had a BMW, was a great car, but this LS has more room and appeal to me.

nice ride

jk, 05/11/2006

Car is fun to drive, but expensive to fix. I find myself driving faster and not realizing it. Gas mileage is decent, but could be better.

LS review

cactus, 07/28/2006

great look, great features, great comfort. sound system is magnificent, promoted as very quiet - and it really is- road noise is not an issue.

2000 Lincoln LS 5 Speed

baahsten, 10/30/2006

I bought it used in 2001 with 5,700 miles on it. Had a bad clutch at 17,000 miles. Many mechanical problems under 5/70 warranty too. Another clutch and new flywheel at 57,000 miles ($1,600). Had Catalyst converter replaced under mandatory federal laws at 62,000 miles. Replaced defective PCV hose at 68,000 miles. (You gotta take intake off to get to it) Difficult to work on engine however nice to drive. This is the longest car I owned, Kept it because its an 5 Speed manual. However thinking of trading it in.

Good car so far but a little hesitant

TEE TEE, 06/19/2008

I brought this 2000 Lincoln with 46,000 miles on it in May 2008. The only problem I've had so far is the brakes (squeaking) and now as I speak a hose leaking and it want stay crank. I hope I don't have to experience the scary stories I've read per other reviews. But if I do I'm trading it in. No questions asked.

Don't be scammed

volley6, 12/30/2005

I bought my Lincoln a year and a half ago. In this time, I have replaced 3 going on 4 window motors (around $200 each), a new ball joint ($400), different valves ($200) along with scheduled maintenance. Although the mechanic said that it was Ford's lack of grease that cost me $400, Ford refused to reimburse me. The best part is that my car had been "checked" for that EXACT recall prior to my purchase. A little to ironic for me. I have had nothing but problems with my car and would not recommend it to those without extra money to blow. This has made my first car buying experience a truly memorable one.

My 2000 LS Stinks

Victoria351, 11/06/2007

Oh gosh, where do I start? Let me begin by telling you that I purchased this car in 2004 when I was only 18 years old. It was flashy and one heck of a sweet ride. Then all of a sudden it all went downhill. Literally. I have had numerous problems to boot. Let me begin to name the things, bad headers, over heating, driver door wouldn't open and still doesn't open, skipping or misfiring in the engine, antifreeze leaking, bad tires, and much much more. My boyfriend and I were almost killed in the car when we were drive back from vacation only 1 month after purchasing it. The tire blew out on the highway causing the car to spin around, luckily not injuring us or anyone else for that matter.

2000 Lincoln LS

LsReeks, 11/15/2009

The only thing this car has is that its prety. It's a nice eye candy. The problem comes from ford's quality/design , or lack there of. The transmission went out on me. I had to replace a simple air/breathing hose, which resides under the intake manifold and the fuel injectors. A 99 cent hose cost me 1700$ in labor. To do any type of maintenance, the intake manifold had to be removed because it was layed on the very top. That meant many hrs in labor, no matter what the fix was. Oh, the brake system and suspension was bad as well. Spent much $. Interior had many problems as well. I never thought I'd say this, but because of this car, I've boycotted Ford.

Lincoln - Never Again

lincoln owner, 05/31/2008

I will NEVER own another Lincoln/Ford vehicle. I have had constant problems with it. Valves rattle CONSTANTLY with regular unleaded gas. Door handle broke off. Door/windshield leaked when it rained. AC has been a NIGHTMARE. One air vent will blow out cold air, and the other one will blow out hot. I've spent MANY dollars on the AC, but it hasn't resolved the problem. Radio/clock display lights went off (probably a fuse). Poor gas mileage. I bought the car bc I loved how it looked. But believe me, that's the only thing it had going for it. I will never buy another Lincoln/Ford.

Love it

Brothers, 10/19/2003

This is simply the best car I ever had. The garanty and services are exceptional. I would buy another one!

Betsy's LS

Betsy, 04/12/2002

Front seat configuration not suitable for larger person. Only problem with car occured when heat gage pegged for about 8 minutes and annunicator indicated power was being reduced. Subsequently a factory fix has replaced the thermostat.

Lincolns are junk!

EJ, 08/06/2008

I bought the car from the original owner with 63000 miles. I loved the look of the car and the way it drove. It was priced at $13,000 and ended up only paying $9000. Things that went wrong with it for the year in a half that I owned it:1. Thermostat went out 2. Transmission slipped (had to have software downloaded on transmission) 3. Rearview mirror broke in shade mode 4. Air bags went out 5. Air bag wire went out 6. Battery was low and was causing the whole car to go wrong, stereo wouldnt work very well, alarm would not beep when locked, and transmission jerked when put in drive. 7. Gas lid broke, would not open. 8. Car started to die when taking off in the morning and stutter. 9. I got 12 on premium.

Daughter's car

unhappy father, 08/12/2008

My early-twenties daughter bought a 2000 LS8 with 121K last fall (2007). I was about to deploy with the reserves, so did not pay as much attention to her purchase as I normally would. CEL went on during her drive home from dealership, they replaced O2 sensor at their cost, CEL still came on, they did some repairs costing us $1400, car has same problems, surging and CEL on; now it has a coolant leak so she is driving my car until I come back this fall. I am not happy with the car or the dealership's treatment of a first-time car buyer...they should have known that this car is expensive to maintain. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, especially if it has higher mileage.

My Coach (Turned Into) A Pumpkin!!!

Cinderella, 05/06/2002

What a difference a few months makes. Until very recently, I was very happy with my Lincoln LS Sport V8. All of a sudden, I'm having all these problems; electrical, sliping trans, and the other day, the darn thing just wouldn't start. If its doing this at just under 13,000 miles, what's it going to do at 130,000? I'm glad my LS isn't my beloved husband of 20 years or we would be gettin' un-hitched!!!

60000 Miles and going strong!!

BROKERNOK, 05/13/2002

I've not had any problems with my LS, love the ride and looks. The stereo could be a little better and come on Lincoln, put it together better. I can't wait for the LSE, 360HP and a 6 speed!!

I love lincolns

Brett, 03/11/2009

I have to say this is one of my favorite cars of all time. I am so happy with my decision. The only problems it has is the window regulators go out early. Lincolns often have problems with transmissions unless keenly looked after. Other than problems listed the car is fantastic, fast, comfortable, and most importantly reliable. I certainly recommend this car to anyone who likes class. Take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Lincoln No. 1

Davion, 05/26/2002

Fun to drive, I love this car

Never again.....

JoshuaW, 06/06/2002

In the short time that I have had the vehicle, I have had NOTHING but problems. Mind you I take very good care of my cars. The car has been at the Lincoln dealer for seven weeks now getting the trans fixed. Lincoln and the dealer REFUSE to give me a loaner. So I am without a car at all. This is the second trans in under 50,000 miles. PLease don't make the mistake I mad and get an American luxury car.....I don't want to see anyone else go thru this.

Too Much Maintanance

Esanchez4, 08/22/2009

Too much maintenance. I purchased this vehicle with 75,000 miles but it started giving me a lot of costly problems at around 90,000 miles, mostly coming from the engine that averaged at least $1,000 each repair - 4 repairs-. Performance was poor in handling, it didn't hv good turning capability. A lot of little things kept breaking on the car sensors, switches, knobs, windows motor,etc. I would not recommend too anybody about purchasing this car. -Very Unsatisfied-

Unreliable piece....

2ndbest, 08/27/2009

This was a nice ride, flashy & a sharp looking car. But that's all it has going for it. First the front lower ball joints needed replaced, they were recalled but the company wouldn't pay for mine. Then the alternator and battery needed replaced. Int and Ext lights went off outta nowhere! It overheats also. It continues to leak water from the windshield when it rains. One window regulator was replaced. The airbag light is stuck on. The sway bar still has a clunking noise. Drives terribly in the snow, get stuck every year. Love the style, just not dependable. Never again will I buy a lincoln/ford auto.

The definition of junk

smith.koko, 09/20/2009

So I'm 20 years old and I had previously owned a 1996 Dodge Ram. I decided to upgrade, well what i thought was an upgrade, I Bought My Lincoln. I've had nothing but problems. The first week i had it both cadillac converters had to be replaced, car vibrates at 45, poor gas mileage, drivers door broken have to open from outside,car won't start right, you have to turn the engine over 5 or 6 times before it starts. Recently my power steering pump went out and i haven't been able to drive it. I'm now looking for a new car. Please don't but this car you will regret every penny spent. I bought mine for almost $7000 and the car is only worth $2500. Upside down. Not fun.

good

rz, 06/24/2002

good vehicle and fun but a little tight interior wise for a big person

best car on the road

eriebuckeye, 07/02/2002

this thing handles like my camaro but its more fun to drive

solid and strong

kheit, 07/10/2002

not a bmw but pretty close with thousands in your pocket

AdvanceTrac Blues

Rob Brixey, 07/13/2002

Our car had 3 warranty related service calls on a advancetrac trouble before the dealership was successful in fixing it. I had to call Lincoln Customer Service Headquarters and complain. I couldn't find the Lincoln Commitment they hyped so much when they sold me the car. Nobody cared. My next car will be a Cadillac STS...

Love to Drive

NormC, 07/19/2002

In the 1st month it had an oil leak which was a major repair (engineering defect). Since then no problems. It is very comfortable and love to drive. It is a V6 but plenty of get up and go. I have a 3 year lease but am going to lease another year.

51050