Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon Consumer Reviews

SportCross 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )

15 years of reliability
By Joey

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very cool car. It is like a little town car for cruising around the neighborhood. It is very quiet for a gasoline powered car. It is a very unusual design and I rarely see any other SportCrosses around. It is silky smooth and the acceleration is with no engine vibration and feels like a big rubberband was let go. It is not a sports car however. It is the slowest of my current cars. But I still like driving it and now my goal is simply to see how long it can last. I don't intend to spend anything more than for oil changes or smog checks. Frankly it is very practical. It has a surprisingly large storage compartment especially with the back seats folded down. It has never broken down. It survived being lent to my 20 year old son for two years. It worked fine after a mild front end collision against a SUV. Driving it now is like going out with an old friend where we just enjoy a little time together. After owning a BMW, that car feels like a hot date, high maintenance, built for speed and likely to age poorly...

215,000 miles and still like new
By YotaFan

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am the second owner of my '02 SportCross and have driven the heck out of it. It is my daily driver, and has been incredibly reliable. I have had zero issues with the car and have no doubt it will keep going past 300,000 miles. The back seat is roomy enough for my kids, but my almost 6-foot tall son does get a little cramped back there on long road trips. The cargo space is surprising, the rear split seats fold down, and the passenger's seat does as well allowing me to carry long things like an 8X12 foot rug. Build quality is exceptional, even after almost 15 years, the seats still look like new, the carpet isn't worn, and all the buttons still work. On road trips in the mountains, I still get around 28 MPG, in town, it is around 21. It took me a long time to track down a SportCross, but it is well worth the search.

Eye Candy!!
By erik

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

SportCross is a head turner and as well as roomy! Fast, super smooth, super reliable, (had an A4 before and everything broke at 50K, this has 82K and tires, oil are that have changed). I hate when people complain about gas mileage.You knew what the gas mileage was when you bought it! I have gotten over 20 in city and 30 on highway.

Stereo, manual shift/automatic option, auto dimming mirrors, headlights that move.

What I Expected
By Carolina Rocket

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Car is exactly what I expected except the gas consumption. Tried to save money by using mid grade instead of the premium required. Have gone back to premium and expect mileage to improve. Sound system is fantastic. Steering is equal to the S2000. Room in the rear is much better than expected.

Looks, Sound system, Different. Its a Lexus = reliable.

Better gas mileage.

great car but...
By steveNsc

2002 Lexus IS 300 Wagon SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and the only costs besides normal maintenance was a recent change of the oxygen sensor, 299.00. During warranty period I have had problems with front suspension creaking. Dealer could not correct it so I have learned to live with it.

quality of interior. style

wearing out of front tires prematurely and creaking front end.