Used 2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (176 reviews )

Best Big SUV Ever
By Elizabeth Ross

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I still own my 2004 GX470 and it is going strong! Almost 147,000 miles and rides like new. No major repairs! Love it!

Solid Build, excellence throughout
By SN

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this in 2012, 8 years old, 98,000 miles and it looked brand new. I was replacing an old Land Cruiser - wife wanted something nicer inside and newer, an found out this is an off-shoot of the Land Cruiser. Dealer wisely let me take it home and there was no going back. Five years later, 185,000 miles and it rides like new, quiet and smooth. Replaced all brakes and rotors, which was fairly expensive, replaced the radiator (which I expected after reading up on it), and that's about it. By far the nicest car I've ever owned, and for years I bought all new cars (because of a family discount). We've used it for family trips in the winter in Michigan because it handles the weather so much. I could go on. Everything on it seems to be made with excellence. Every little feature still worked when I got it. Highly recommended. Keep in mind, it does only get about 15-18 mpg (still get about that), but consider that it is FULL TIME 4WD (not all-wheel), and it is a heavy vehicle. Also, if you have a lot of kids, when they get bigger, the third row is cramped. If you have eight people in the vehicle, there is very little storage, so you'll need a top box for trips, especially in the winter (in West Michigan, anyway).

MY GX470
By Stig Oftedal

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

OVERALL, I LOVE THE LEXUS. HANDLES FANTASTIC FOR A LARGE SUV, IS COMFORTABLE WITH A GREAT RIDE AND LITTLE EXTERIOR NOISE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS.

LOVE this SUV
By Shelly

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Comfortable ride, great handling, quiet, reliable, low maintenance. Went from a Toyota Land Cruiser (had 230,000+ miles on it at 12 years of age when our daughter totaled it) to the GX. It is just as solid and dependable as the LC, only the ride and amenities are MUCH nicer. Our vehicle is now 14 years old and has 238K mikes on it and going strong. it still looks great and we still receive compliments on its appearance. When we inform people of its age, they are usually surprised. Being so old, it does not have all the accessories to accommodate today's electronic devices. But she is reliable, comfortable, and has hauled a lot over the years! Can’t afford to replace her at the price they are now so my hope is that we’ll get at least another 100K miles out of her.

Good While It Lasted
By Casey Bryson

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought our 2004 GX470 in 2012. We owned it for 2 years and 7 months. It was a good vehicle for us and the engine/transmission are rock solid. Personally, looking back, I would buy one with LESS features. The dynamic suspension is expensive to replace, for example. I also had to replace the sensors for the rear air leveling as they both failed on separate occasions which was VERY problematic on a 500 mile road-trip. Also, others that note there's a "transmission CLUNK" should realize that it's a slip yoke on the driveshaft that requires greasing. A 30 second fix.

Off road capability. Incredible in the snow.

The mpg is terrible. I averaged 15 mpg. For a vehicle this size and this underpowered, our new QX56 with 5.6 and 400 hp gets better mileage. A sign of the times. The technology is also lacking and it's difficult to integrate an iPod with this model year. Seats that don't fold flat is another annoyance. The ride is pretty harsh too. Ultimately, we got rid of our GX because the costs to repair & maintain were going to be too large.