Used 2011 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GX 460 model:

This SUV is for people who want a luxury truck
By David S

2011 Lexus GX 460 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I own the older GX470 That was a car. This is a truck. Its basically a Landcruiser Prado in a tuxedo. Its big. It's comfortable. The stock radio is great. The Bluetooth is excellent . It's power train is smooth. ...I didn't say great. Here is the one problem. It's not underpowered. Not at all. The problem is the gear ratio. On moderating steep hills, whether going up or down, the gearing is tuned for gas savings So there is no downshifting in time. In other words, the engine is laboring uphill wanting to get to higher rpm and then down hill it won't shift down for any engine breaking. Hard on breaks. The solution is to shift the knob over to manual and go up or down as needed. It's quite pleasant driving it that way. But that's me. I drove a shift for many years . I can see why some reviewers were freaked out by the too large gearing ratio. That being said this is a badass truck. If you keep your cars a long time like me, you will probably die before this vehicle does if you maintain it per schedule. I would want my kids to drive a Landcruiser or Prado over anything else on the planet for their comfort and safety They will likely inherit this one. That's why they are no cheap. That's why it's got 5 stars for reliability on most car websites. But the odd ratio gear tuning really does improve mpg. On the highway driving 65-70 I get a consistent 19.8 to 20.1 mpg Around town it's about 16 give or take a bit If you can deal with shifting yourself on steep hills, there is nothing more comfortable or reliable on the planet other than a Landcruiser or LX itself

Solid
By Jerrold Friedman

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is our second GX . First was the GX 470 bought new in 2004. Never had a squeak in either car. Safe,reliable,comfortable, but not exciting to drive. I always felt my wife would be safe in this vehicle

Best car yet
By Tony Jerfita

Highly recommended

Great new features over the 2004 if they worked
By haultj

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2004 GX470 for this in March of 2011.
I have been driving this every day and on some vacation trips.
Overall it is a comfortable vehicle to drive and has all of the new toys including the Mark Levinson audio.
I had the Mark Levinson in my previous and both sound amazing.
I have driven both in rough terrain and in bad weather.
I prefer the 04 for handling over the 11 because the 11 feels more sloppy in the turns.
The 11 also drinks more fuel than my 04.
My biggest complaint is the poor functionality of the voice controls.
Lexus has refused to resolve this and said that without error codes in a log, they will do nothing more. Perforated leather was a bad choice.

Safety features are wonderful. I was hit by someone who ran a red light doing 50mph and the vehicle did what it was supposed to do; it protected me. There was close to $30k in damage but the passenger compartment was untouched. USB and Bluetooth connectivity for the audio system. Steering wheel controls for the audio are great. Have I mentioned that the Mark Levinson audio is fantastic? I sometimes have it cranked while on the road and it performs very well.

Fix the hands free interface. In this vehicle I find myself arguing with the voice command system or just plain laughing at how bad it interprets what I say. The same problem exists when I use the Bluetooth for telephone calls; more than 60% of the time I need to turn off the speaker phone and pickup the telephone so that people can understand what I am saying. Never had a problem in my wife's 11 GS; it works flawlessly. The perforated leather is a bad idea because the leather is more prone to damage and is less durable. Return the DVD updates for the navigation. The new hard drive system cannot be updated by the owner which means the $300 DVD in the old system is now a $600 cost.

Comfortable but No Soul
By ponch

2011 Lexus GX 460 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a quality vehicle with nice features.
I could not believe how comfortable the driving position was and how smoothly it drove around town.

However, I ended up trading out of it for the following reasons.
1) It LABORS on the highway and is a tiring ride on long trips. 2) It feels unnecessarily big 3) The NAV and iPod systems are annoying 4) It chugs gas making you ask the question, "Do I really need this vehicle?" 5) Overall, this is a very pretty vehicle, but it has no soul.
If you absolutely need a USEFUL 3rd row and you don't care about sending your college savings $$ to the Middle East, then this vehicle might be for you.
Otherwise, I would absolutely recommend a BMW X5.

Comfortable Seats, Back-up camera, Overall expensive feeling cockpit.

Needs an friendlier iPod and NAV interaction. Very tedious. Needs better fuel economy. Should feel greater thrust on freeway and should hold lane with tighter steering and confidence and not give you that floaty, trucky feel.