Used 2001 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

2001 Kia Spectra GSX
By RollieB.

2001 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We've owned ours for 17 years now. It's a little beat up. Wish it had a little more drivera leg room.Upholstery apart at the seams, dash buckled from the heat. Hit a deer 15 years ago. That being said, maintenance is minimal. I've changed the up and downstream. O2 sensors and the timing belt. This little toad keeps on running. I just hit 220,000 miles and I still get 30-32 mpg on the highway. We bought another kia, a Soul this time. Impressed beyong measure with that car. Took a trip recently in the soul. 2955 miles round trip. Total cost for fuel: $197.00. My next purchase is a kia Sedona. I love my kia spectra. Still has plenty zip. Makes me feel again

Best car I've ever owned
By stevecobb12550

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Kia used at 18,000 miles, and then drove it for almost 150,000 without a problem.
Gas mileage was about 33 mpg highway, and it was rock solid.
Sure, the sheet metal is so thin that you could dent the car just by breathing on it, and the rear defroster was useless, but the car was a real trooper.
Hatchback was very useful, too, I could load all kinds of things in there.
The only mistake I made was not changing the timing belt, and it broke at 145k miles, ruining the engine.
At 145k miles, the CV joints needed replacing, and so did the struts, but it was a great car.

Great gas mileage, very reliable, useful hatchback.

Fix the rear defroster so that it actually works.

242,500 Still going strong!!!!!
By Terry

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I guess This says it all.

Longevity

Not much

Kia, Kia, Kia
By Amberismyenergy

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had it time in and time out with this car. I have had to replace the complete make up of the rear brakes, the battery, the rear break lights several times (not because i leave lights on) compressor, starter, plugs, the right axle. Yes when i go up a hill i have to turn air conditioner off. haha Very loud when I'm trying to go fast, people think I'm angry, when I'm in a hurry. The dash board has completed folded because of the sun! WONDERFUL!!

hatchback! I can fit a wing back chair in my car!

ummm. where to start?

Worth every penny
By ayoder

2001 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2001 and I've put a little over 70,000 miles on it. It's paid off and now I'm really getting my money out of it. It's still running great and drives as good as 2 other new cars I've recently test driven. I have done all the recommended maintenance and it's still running like a top. I had only minor warranty repairs done and have no complaints. I've been looking for a used higher end KIA like the optima to purchase but I think everyone knows how great these cars are they aren't trading them in so there are none available in my area. Can you say watch out Honda someones coming up quickly behind you and their price is better?