Used 2017 Kia Niro SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Niro for Sale
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

All we expected and more

Retired grandparent, 12/30/2017
LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

We are at 10,000 miles and the car has been perfect. In trying to think of something negative, the only two things are that the gasoline engine/exhaust may be noisier than a typical 4-cyl but maybe that only seems that way since the car is so quiet in EV mode. The other thing is that it seems the engine is programmed to kick in when battery charge gets below about 50% and it seems like it should be able to run EV until battery gets lower than that. But how can we complain when we get over 60mpg on most trips. We learned a few things to nurse those extra MPG: When accelerating, keep the fuel economy meter below the halfway mark, when you reach cruising speed, momentarily let off the gas to force the EV mode to kick in, then gently press gas pedal to maintain your speed on battery (If you keep foot on gas pedal, it tends to remain in gasoline mode). When braking, anticipate stops and press brake lightly so that the regen slows down the vehicle without having to use the friction wasting brakes until necessary. Try to avoid high-speed freeway driving (we found MPG really drops above 60-65 MPH). In moderate weather we get over 60 MPG but in cold weather we were only getting 45-50 MPG. For maximum MPG, only use A/C and headlights when necessary, and for short local trips in cold weather, don't turn on the heater (if forces the gasoline engine to run even when your battery us charged in order to produce heat for the passenger compartment. Unless you need defroster, wear your coat and gloves and leave the gasoline engine off. I have recently added a small silicon block heater pad on the underside of the oil pan to warm the engine on cold winter mornings so the engine is warm when starting and doesn't have to run nearly as much to produce heat, and expect our winter MPG will greatly improve.

An Excellent Hybrid Vehicle

Joseph Bristow, 10/11/2017
LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I have driven the 2017 Kia Niro LX for over two months, and I have really come to like the car. I had been driving a 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 (four-door hatchback bought new in 2006), so this was a big step up for me. I found the Niro to be very comfortable with an excellent climate control system. The entertainment system is awesome. Bluetooth connectivity is perfect for local driving, while Android Auto is great for long-distance trips. You don't need a navigation system with Android Auto. Just select the "Maps" button to open a map that shows where you are and traffic in your area. You can get turn-by-turn directions as well. Voice commands work well, and I haven't had any issues with being understood. The cargo area is similar to what my Focus had. It's perfect for groceries and really expands when you put the rear seats down. The glove compartment is a little small, but I don't have a lot of items to store, so it's not much of an issue for me. Acceleration in Eco mode is sluggish, as every review says, but Sport mode gives you the option of beefing up acceleration. I rarely use Sport mode, as I don't care about the slow acceleration. My goal with the Niro is to get the best gas mileage I can. To that end, I get about 45 mpg, measured by taking the number of miles I've driven divided by the amount of gas I put in the car (I stop filling when the pump handle pops). That is far better than I ever got in my old Focus, and to be able to go over 400 miles on a single tank is fantastic. Probably the one disappointing thing is the gas mileage I get on short trips. I happen to live within a mile of a commercial center, so getting groceries, eating meals and visiting other stores results in about a 2-mile round trip. I had imagined that the Niro would act like an electric car in that situation, but it doesn't. No matter how gentle I am with the gas pedal, I cannot get it to stay in electric mode during these short trips, which results in 25 to 30 mpg per trip, hurting my overall gas mileage. It's something I do quite often, so I'm hoping that future iterations of the Niro will be better at using electric mode on short trips. Interestingly, the Niro will utilize electric mode quite frequently in stop-and-go traffic, which makes me laugh at the other cars burning gas while I'm drifting along in electric mode. Despite my disappointment, I'm very pleased with the gas mileage I get from my Niro. I leased the Niro because 2017 is the first year for the model and it is my first experience driving a hybrid car. Given how pleased I am with the car, I'll likely turn it in and buy a new Niro when the lease is up.

Flawed operational system in Niro

Janet F, 03/14/2017
Touring 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

On 2/27/17 I bought a KIA Niro Touring. On 3/6/17 it wouldn't start and needed to be towed. Kia service told me the car was normal but I needed to drive it more to keep the battery charged. This does not seem to be a problem with my particular vehicle, rather a design choice KIA made. I use the car daily for my work commute, errands, etc. though apparently this usage is not adequate to have a reliable operating vehicle. Kia does not inform the public the vehicle will not operate unless it has a minimum daily usage time. I bought the car assuming I could use it like any car. As much as I like the idea of an eco-friendly vehicle, I take exception to the concept that it must be driven extra time than my needs dictate to keep the battery charged. The service provider suggested I keep the engine running for 20-40 minutes but can just leave the car locked because of the smart key. This does not sound smart to me. I spoke directly with Kia Motors regarding my situation and they stand by their vehicle saying it is normal and the only problem is I am not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. They advised me to drive more. I would not like others to find themselves in my unfortunate situation. Please be mindful before making a purchase.

Niro is not a Zero

Richard Hemstreet, 02/05/2018
Touring 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Traded in our Soul for this car. (2014 Black soul) - The Car handles and Drives above expectations. I drive a Hybrid Optima so I am used to be breaking and quarks of a Hybrid, however the wife (who drives the NIro) is getting used to it. The breaks will seem soft to new comers, however they will stop and if you need will stop you with surprisingly response. Cold weather driving will reduce your Mileage. In the cold the car has to run the gas engine to keep you warm, and the warmer you want to be the lower your Mileage ex - If in the hot weather you normally get 50mpg then in the could expect a 5mpg drop and if you really want to be warm it can dip as much as 7mpg. Of course its all a factor on how cold how long and how you drive but that seems to be the averages I have experienced. Comfort is at volumes in the Niro, Long trips seem to be a breeze. The back seat is comfy and a passenger can relax and enjoy the trip. Noise is easy on the ears and you can hold a conversation from the back to the front without having to yell at each other. If you like to load up and carry everything you will find lots of space to do just that. I would buy another should I find myself looking for another Car. Hope this helps.

Niro EX w Tech Pkg is an awesome car

Thomas Osborn, 07/07/2017
EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Needed to downsize and wanted a car with great fuel economy that didn't look like a Prius. This is the car! After 6000 miles, avg mpg is 50.5 (actual measure!), which included about 2000 miles of 70+mph freeway driving. Love the safety features...smart cruise control, RCTA, Auto braking, BSD, LCA. Storage is not really limiting with the rear seats folded down. Car is comfortable to drive and controls are well laid out. Interior is pleasing, not cheap looking. If you have a Smartphone, Android auto works great for navigation and music via Pandora (etc). I'm not a jack-rabbit driver so sluggishness is not an issue, and there's always power if I need it by shifting into Sport mode. I've never lacked for traction in any front wheel drive car (including in Minnesota) so lack of 4X4 option was and is not an issue. Love this car! Update: 1/20/21: 28,000+ miles and still over 50 MPG, only problem was a minor glich with fix engine light, diagnosed by dealer, turned out to be a gas cap issue with vacuum pressure, replaced gas cap, no problems. Amazing car!

12345...9