2016 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Ecstatic
By Cynthia Behr

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV High Altitude Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am ecstatic about my Jeep Patriot. It handles great, feels comfortable. I can't say enough about it. The fuel economy says its 24-26, but I'm getting 27-29 in the High Rocky Mountains of CO, and live at 9000 ft elevation. The steering is a little tight at first until you get used to it's touchiness. After 3 weeks, I have adjusted or it's gotten better. The only problem I have with it so far is the sunroof leaks when I'm in the high pressure car wash. Water splashes me in the head and face. I took it in for service and they are fixing this soon. I also opted for the lifetime warranty, because I intend to keep this Jeep for life. It's my 3rd Jeep, and I couldn't be happier. I thought I'd be sacrificing power and durability for better gas mileage over the Jeep Rubicon, but I was completely wrong. I have not sacrificed anything but the removable top and I have benefitted way beyond my expectations. The ride is smooth and quiet. They had me at heated seats and sunroof.

Can't understand the negative reviews!!
By RS

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV High Altitude Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

As a rental car, I had a Jeep Patriot Sport with power windows and AC while my other car was in the shop and I fell in LOVE with it. Warm and comfortable with a solid feel and GREAT visibility. When I got my car back I drove to a jeep dealership and looked into owning one. I ended up with a 2016 Jeep Patriot High Altitude with leather seats, AC, 4WD, 2.4L 6 speed automatic, Navigation, Uconnect system, Sirius satellite radio, back-up camera, seat heaters and cargo cover in a beautiful deep cherry red with dark gray interior. Mine actually has 2 USB ports. One is in the glove box as another reviewer pointed out, but the other is right on the front of the radio itself. It also has an outlet in the center console that is easily accessible. It is a beautiful car with a much higher end feel than you would think for an SUV. The sound system in mine is great also. I have been paying attention to gas mileage and it is actually doing better than my 1.4L w/Turbo that I traded in. Maybe it has a larger tank, but my fuel costs have not increased with this car. It has everything I need/want and skips the overwhelming extras. I am not the person who needs to download the latest Android apps onto my car. This car does speak to a certain personality type I think. It is stylish and well equipped and no-nonsense. It doesn't have the Turbo feature or blind spot detection, but you don't feel like you need it because the visibility is excellent all around. I personally love the look of it - reminiscent of the older Jeeps. I hear that the Compass is essentially the same car with a different exterior - I preferred the Patriot myself. I also heard this will be that last year of production (2017) for the Patriot. Will be sad to see it go. I look forward to getting behind the wheel everyday, which is so important when most of us live our lives depending on our cars.

I don't get the Jeep thing
By Charles A.

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I got this 2016 Jeep patriot as an unwanted upgrade at enterprise. I wanted something that got good gas mileage and they had no cars. I was told this this would but it consistently got only 21 MPG. Soooo where to start, the engine sounds like an angry sewing machine, and it doesn't do much to the motivate the CVT that has trouble changing gear. It idled rough... It had 5341 miles it should run great I would think. It rides like a truck, rough and bouncy, and there is tons of oversteer. The front seats lack lumbar support, they are manual with minimal adjustability. The radio made a terrible high pitched noise when I plugged in my phone into aux and it was plugged into the outlet. The door sills are high and I smack my feet on it getting in and out. There is no visibility out of the back windows unless you lay the rear seat down, the roof line gives poor visibility out of the rest. I've driven jeeps I like and lots of other SUVs that were great, but this has to be the worst. There was nothing that stood out as good beyond the braking performance.

I've only put 200 miles on it, but I love it so fa
By justin

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought mine (Altitude) with 3,500 miles on it for $18.9k. I'm very pleased thus far. It's a pretty basic suv. It reminds me of the old Cherokee Sport versions pre- 2002 - right before they started making the Liberty. Auto dimming mirrors (actually performs very well, maybe the best dimming mirror I have ever driven with); Cruise Control; AC; Fog Lights; Auto Headlights; remote start; bluetooth (can sync my music pretty decent sound); touch free phone (works really well, and I usually never use touch free phone system because I usually hate it, but this works very well, no yelling needed); steering-wheel buttons; voice command; sirius; power windows/mirrors; heated seats; heated mirrors. Also, I'm not sure what this feature is called, but I'm pretty sure its a variable transmission - meaning that I can drive it in automatic, or I can flick the shifter and it then turns to a manual 6speed transmission. I think thats very cool and enjoy it. Scared me the first time as I had no idea I had transferred it to manual and couldn't make it up a hill. I thought I bought a lemon before I realized I had engaged the manual transmission, lol. I mention this also because i have read several reviews where people say that sometimes their Patriot won't go over 40mph because of "overheating." They probably engaged the manual transmission without realizing it and don't realize they're driving their car in 1st gear. It's only a 4 cylinder engine, but it gets up to 80mph in a hurry. It's fine. I've read some reviews that criticize the weak pickup of the engine, I'm not sure these people understand its a 4 cylinder carrying an SUV body, it's not an V8 engine, lol. Nonetheless, the engine is fine (though I haven't had it packed full of stuff, nor have i towed anything with it). The ride is smooth, quiet, and comfortable. I'm 6'3'' 200lbs. Plenty of leg room. Also, It is the only car, other Jeeps included, that my head or hair does not touch the roof. I do not have to slouch. That's awesome if you're a tall person. Gas milage is fine. I drove 160 miles (all highway) on a half a tank, so that's over 300 miles on a full tank. I believe it holds 13 gallons and costs somewhere around $30 to fill. The windshield is gigantic. You have a lot of windshield vision as well as passenger front and back window vision. Driver side rear window vision is spotty. Just be careful switching lanes. I love this Jeep. It's basic, yet it also has enough features to make it a very enjoyable experience.

Love JEEP! I have owned 3 JEEP SUV s in 12 years.
By Tony Jimenez

2016 Jeep Patriot SUV High Altitude Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Despite of what some people say negatively about JEEPS... in my opinion (JEEP) It is one of the best built vehicles that is made America today. I have owned Ford, Chevy, Mazda and Pontiac, (all American made vehicles) ALL BAD EXPERIENCES. (JEEP) in the other hand, without a doubt has being the best SUV s vehicles I have ever owned 'till today. My first brand new JEEP i bought, is a "2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo" still own it, still running strong and like a charm. With very little mechanical issues, "if any?" My second brand new SUV I bought, is a "2006 Jeep Commander" still own it, and has no relative major issues to complain about. Both Jeeps I have bought in 10-16 years, have out performed any other American made vehicles that I owned in the past. Every non Jeep vehicle I have ever owned, gave me lots of trouble after reaching the 50,000k mile range. The two Jeeps I own, both have over 170K miles on them, and they are still running very strong. My newest addition to my JEEP collection is the 2016 Jeep Patriot High Altitude Edition SUV. I have just acquired it from Gray Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of the Poconos in Stroudsburg, PA. And so far; I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS VEHICLE. It has all the bells and whistles I ever wanted, and more. ((And Sure! When Compared to my '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, or my '06 Jeep Commander, it is in another lesser power category. It is not in the same league "I do admit". But. It is by far the best vehicle, when compared to any other brand new vehicle of its class and price range. I personally will continue to stand behind JEEP; as long the vehicles I come to own from Jeep "continue to perform as my good as my first two have done so far. My honest advice to anyone considering in purchasing a new vehicle... Try Jeep first before considering any other vehicles. Jeep is a good brand, they continue to make, and have made some of America's toughest and most reliable vehicles for decades.