Used 2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Lucky purchase!
By Andrew Crook

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought My burgundy patriot because I could afford it and it was available with my circumstances. I hadn't even considered the JEEP Patriot as an option prior to My urgent need of a vehicle. My patriot had 80k miles when I bought it USED. I have put 10k miles on it so far and I'm VERY happy with it. It's a base model with no bells or whistles which I didn't like at first, but ive come to prefer that aspect. So far there have been ZERO issues. As far as maintenance I've only had to maintain the fluids. Its the easiest manual I've ever used and the mpg depends on your driving style. It could use more acceleration and bigger brakes but stock is sufficient. I would definitely recommend the patriot. From what I gather reading reviews, the fewer power options, the better! Do we really need all those creature comforts in a car? Mo wires, Mo problems!! That's MY opinion as far as vehicles are concerned. Plus base models are usually easier to work on as I do my own maintenance and repair/replace when possible. I hope this has been helpful! -AC Tulsa, Oklahoma

stalls on the freeway
By Amanda Corney

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2011 Jeep Patriot that stalled on the freeway numerous times. Each time I took it in they couldn't find the problem. At less than 60 thousand miles I traded it for something I could feel safe in. I also had a Liberty that was recalled for crash hazards that they couldn't fix the recall. I will never buy a Jeep again.

Worst vehicle purchase in 40 yrs
By George

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced all four hubs and front axle shafts within 60,000 miles, deals said these are suspension components not covered under driveline warranty, Two ABS sensors failed-not covered, CVT transmission now making a noise and shifting erratically. Brake caliber seized-ruined brake pad and rotor. Total piece of garbage!

Patriot looks retro, so I bought one
By MtnRoad

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Latitude X 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was attracted to the 2011 Patriot because it looked like my old 1998 XJ model. Some people online have said the Patriot is too car-like but so was my 1998 XJ. My XJ was a rear wheel drive 2WD model and I powered through winters in upstate New York no problem. Once I heard the new Patriot had front wheel drive I knew it would be more than I needed. My 2011 Patriot is more comfortable than my 1998 XJ, and IMHO it handles better. I used to get a lot of shimmy when going over railroad tracks and stuff in my XJ, but this newer model Patriot handles like a dream. It is so smooth, and takes rough roads very well giving a smooth ride. I got a 5 speed to avoid all the problems with CVT / auto trans. My 5 speed gets pretty good gas mileage, much better than my 98 model XJ that had a 4.0L. I miss having the 4.0L but I like the better gas mileage of the 2.4L and just drive easy, nothing aggressive. The 2.4L uses a timing chain too so I am really happy about that. I think Jeep hit a home run with the Patriot because many of us old school Jeep guys were quite confused when they got rid of the XJ model, one of the better selling Jeeps. The Patriot is nothing like the XJ in regards to powertrain or anything, but it sure does have a nice retro updated look and handles awesome. I have 76,000 miles on mine and hope to get 200k out of mine. I am seeing used Patriots online for sale with 180,000+ on the clock so I'm feeling pretty confident mine will last a long time. The only complaint I have is I wish I had the tan interior and not the black. The black is just too dark. Other than that, Jeep did a good job with this Patriot and I've owned many Jeeps so I knew ahead of time to just keep it simple with a 5 speed, and not get any upgrades, no power windows, etc. Just a basic Jeep to last me 10+ years. So far I have only needed to do oil changes and recently put on new tires. I love it.

CVT Overheats - Known DESIGN prob with Nissan CVT
By W Schmidt

2011 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Jeep Patriot (and several other model years) includes a CVT (continuously variable transmission) that tends to overheat under w(hat Americans would consider to be mild highway driving. Inclines, extra weight, longer distances and higher ambient temperatures WILL cause your Jeep Patriot's CVT to overheat, forcing you to stop the car at some point and let it cool down (otherwise you will just lose torque and the car will enter limp home mode). This transmission was build by Nissan for the Rogue and some other cars, and Nissan effectively doubled their warranty to accommodate this known design debacle. Go online and fool around with ideas to mitigate the problem, but it is a design flaw that cannot be fixed/replace/refurbished. You have yourself a short range commuting car that is otherwise dependable.