Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 302 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep1
By Karen

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Comfortable to drive

Bring it back, Jeep, bring it back!
By 786mcqueen

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this used a while back for $5K it had 185K miles on it. It was a lot of fun to drive, gas mileage was pretty good, and it was great in the winter. It was comfortable and easy to get in and out of, although the cargo space is marginal at best. Ours had (as most do) a hitch receiver if you want to pull a utility trailer. The most annoying things about this car were the vibrating bezel around the stereo unit, and the rear window freezing shut in the winter. Once it locked me out with the keys in the ignition, engine running! Mechanically, however, it was very reliable and the one time it needed a repair it was inexpensive. We sold it to a relative who somehow rolled it over, and then after setting it back on its wheels, drove it home, albeit worse for the wear. It is still running and has yet to have any significant mechanical trouble.

Unstoppable Jeep! 257000 miles!
By Matt

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this jeep since new, and it has never let me down. As long as you do your oil changes and maintenance, it will last forever. I would not hesitate to buy another Jeep.

Chrysler does it again!
By Alex

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Blown head gasket at 110k miles....do not buy if it has a .7 Liter engine! The 4cylinder one may be ok. Was a nice car to drive until this happened. Would not recommend.

My first Jeep
By Roger

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I made a great choice for a first Jeep. In fact if I had to make the choice all over again I'd choose this car again. I bought it new in Nov of 02

Its now 14(!) years later and it has 170k miles on it. It drives well as long as you have the correct tires on it. I've taken off road into the back country and driven coast to coast in it. Its a trooper. If I had one gripe its all my fault. Sometimes I really wish I had a trunk to lock things in. But then it wouldn't be a jeep. Its on its last legs now. I think its a year away from retirement. I give all my used cars to charity. The body and interior and are in excellent condition. I'm sure they will be glad to have it.