Used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Very Average
By Cole G

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 in 2017 for $14k from a dealer with 81k miles. $14k was way, way too high, but I got a new battery, a couple oil changes, my sunroof drains cleared, two new A pillars, and a new belt for that buy, so I don't feel too rough. All of that would've totaled around $2k for a shop to do, and $12k (while still high) is more tolerable. Interior is very typical for a mid-00's vehicle. Lots of plastic and fake leather, seats are comfortable enough, visibility isn't great but isn't as bad as say, a Chrysler Sebring/200 or other smaller vehicle. Review is accurate, front seat is roomy but back seat not so much. The 3.7L is really weak accelerating, but it's not the worst engine. Keep it maintained and it'll be good to you. Since I bought it, the WIN module and radiator have both failed totaling around $2k after tax and labor. That's it though. QuadraTrac 1 is great for snow and rain, does alright in sand/dirt/grass. Haven't ever done anything close to offroading, but I know it's not really meant for that. Overall a solid 3-4 stars. Not the worst vehicle you could own, but again, the review is accurate. If you want a Jeep, you can find a more "Jeep-y" Jeep. If you want a crossover, you can find a more efficient and effective crossover. On the off chance you need both, get an 08-10 Limited with the 4.7. The 4.7 got a second update in 2008 that increases power and fuel economy, making it close to the 5.7 in power as well as close to the 3.7 in economy. Limited gets you options, and the option for the far superior Quadra Drive 2 system.

jGC
By toms

Worked out great

Jeeps are terrible
By Katy McCabe

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is the WORST vehicle I have ever had. I've owned it for about a year, I'm on my third starter (it goes days without starting then is fine for a month or so), had to replace the timing belts, and have been in and out of repair shops. I know they look cool but don't let it fool you, they are the worst.

Jeep grand repairs
By D Easley

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine from one owner used. Had just over 100000. Since January 2015-Oct 2015 have replaced the clock speed sensor, the starter, wheel bearing, now the transmission is starting to slip. Chrysler jacked up the jeep name. Used to be a dependable vehicle. Stay far away from this vehicle.

Beware of Transfer Case Problems and Elecronics
By Mr. PM

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my GC Laredo 4.7L used. I had the service 4wd message in the dashboard and took it to the Jeep dealer. The GC had some weird noise in the transfer case area. It cost me $100.00 for a diagnostic to tell me that the transfer case was bad. An a quote of S3,500 for a remanufactured Chrysler NV245 transfer case because Chrysler does not make those junk transfer cases anymore. I went to a transmission shop and they installed a used one from the junk yard and couple weeks after the electric motor of the transfer case went bad. I complained to Chrysler about the transfer case and their response was that after 100,000 I am expected to replace the transfer case. I had 1997 Honda CRV with 297,000 plus miles without transfer case issues.