Used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeeps are terrible
By Katy McCabe

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is the WORST vehicle I have ever had. I've owned it for about a year, I'm on my third starter (it goes days without starting then is fine for a month or so), had to replace the timing belts, and have been in and out of repair shops. I know they look cool but don't let it fool you, they are the worst.

Jeep grand repairs
By D Easley

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine from one owner used. Had just over 100000. Since January 2015-Oct 2015 have replaced the clock speed sensor, the starter, wheel bearing, now the transmission is starting to slip. Chrysler jacked up the jeep name. Used to be a dependable vehicle. Stay far away from this vehicle.

Beware of Transfer Case Problems and Elecronics
By Mr. PM

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my GC Laredo 4.7L used. I had the service 4wd message in the dashboard and took it to the Jeep dealer. The GC had some weird noise in the transfer case area. It cost me $100.00 for a diagnostic to tell me that the transfer case was bad. An a quote of S3,500 for a remanufactured Chrysler NV245 transfer case because Chrysler does not make those junk transfer cases anymore. I went to a transmission shop and they installed a used one from the junk yard and couple weeks after the electric motor of the transfer case went bad. I complained to Chrysler about the transfer case and their response was that after 100,000 I am expected to replace the transfer case. I had 1997 Honda CRV with 297,000 plus miles without transfer case issues.

Very poor reliability
By morzh

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have been a Jeep fan for a long time. Owned a Cherokee before, was a decent car. I knew the reliability reputation full well and bought this GC against my better judgement.
Let's say, I have paid.

Right after 4 years of very mild driving and not even 40K on odometer things started happening.

The speed sensor. $1000.
The starter. $800.
A pressure sensor leaking air. $90.
Today - another pressure sensor leaking air (the car will be 6 years old this August). $150. A $150 tire flat fix.

No more Chrysler products for me.

Update: three pressure sensors leaked with two of them having been replaced before. Two weeks ago I was about to add some air and when unscrewing the cap, the whole threaded part of the barrel broke off so I could not even inflate the tire and was driving with it underinflated untill the weekend when I replaced all 4 at Midas at half price of what the dealer charges.

Oh... did I mention the A/C compressor went in the beginning of September of the same year I wrote the initial review? After 6 years and 1 month?

Like I sad before....No. More. Chrysler. Period.

Update 12/2017 : 4 months after the last review, the driver's side window electric lift mechanism is gone: the cable got all chewed up, first making grinding noises and eventually barely moving, even refusing to close. Five month after it started, the mechanism was replaced as the block, $610 installed.

I absoltuely love my JGC
By fingaz

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
It is a very comfortable vehicle, drives great... with the upgraded interior (leather, navi) a rather luxurious, smooth riding truck.

Its VERY reliable, too.
Currently I am at 75,000mi and other than normal maintenance (change the oil every 3,000 miles), I haven't had any problems what-so-ever.

Edit: Now up to 120,000 miles and the Jeep is running stronger than ever. Hoping to keep it around for another 120,000 miles. Best car I've ever owned!!!