Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

1999 JGCH
By BT

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Average gas mileage (18 to 20) for year and make. Just did a long trip through very bad weather and Jeep did great. Had 89k on it when we got it three years ago. Now has 111k with some tlc. Just had the tranny rebuilt. The rear axels done a couple years ago, and the front brakes, tires, tune up, last year. The right rear tail light burned out the whole assembly a year ago and paid allot at a local dealer for the part. We don't use a dealer anymore. Interior is like new and the exterior has a couple spots of door dings. The underbody looks good. The four wheel drive is good off road and in winter. The work done to it was worth every cent as the jeep was paid for in the beginning. I would recommend the 8 cylinder though. The 6 cylinder is good, but on big hills on my trip to the Ozarks made it work. The overdrive was good, but the 8 cylinder would be better if pulling loads. If this one craps out in the future, I will either swap engines or just go with an 8 cylinder upgrade in another good model.

My second Jeep Grand Cherokee!
By Curtis L. Bradley

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The base platform of the 1999 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee is awesome! I am a 35 year certified mechanic! I loved my first one so much I bought a second! So far I had 1 4.0 Laredo and now my 4.7 Limited. Ok, so the good. These things will run over snow,ice,mud! Very comfortable, and have features to make your ride pleasurable! Decent fuel mileage. And great storage space! I am on call most weeks and have to travel with m Jeep, parts, and tools. I can separate work and home with no issues! Both engines make great power, the V8 being the best! Towing my 16ft trailer has never been an issue with either! The creature comforts of my limited takes it one step further! Now the bad! electrical failures! Had trans shifting problems, window problems, fuse problems, and engine electrical issues. Because I am a mechanic, no big deal! On the 4.7L the biggest issue was the engine! They tend to throw rocker arms! Secondly the steering! Both Jeeps suffered from death wobble for different reasons. Lastly, the brakes! The rotors tend to warp! Not sure, at this point, if it's a design flaw. So much as I think a ad mechanic. My new Jeep suffered te same issue at 110,000 miles. I rebuilt the system myself, on both Jeeps, and not had an issue again. So to end. If my Jeep were to die tomorrow, I,d be looking for a third! Remember I am a mechanic, so I have tooling and parts! I can do the needed work myself! Which makes my cost of ownership much cheaper!

my 1999 jeep grand cherokee 16 year review
By TJF

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

after 16 years of ownership, here's my take on my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo V8 4.7L AUTO/PS/PB/AC/etc.

THE GOOD: exterior paint job is EXCELLENT and shows 0 signs of wear ... hats of to the paint department at chrysler on this one ... the interior ... excellent shape (no leather seats, just fabric) ... dash board - not 1 crack ... no weathering ... the interior has held up over the years and is in EXCELLENT shape. 4.7V8 Engine ... good power, been very reliable (1 exhaust manifold replaced), transmission solid ... just a sensor that went that made it shifting from 2-3 gear slip ... of course ive ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS changed my oil at 3,500 miles and done the tranny FLUSH on scheduled basis. visibility is awesome, some you CANNOT find today except in a subaru forester. towing is awesome. the size (particularly the length) is spot-on at 181" ... today's mid-sized SUV's routinely occupy the 190+" range ... seats are COMFORTABLE and still hold up - not great on LONG journeys though (500+ mile days). fuel economy is low, but not different than what i expected and it runs on 85 octane.

THE BAD: electrical, sensors, water pump, radiator split, CV boots, leaking axles, AC, oil pump sensor, PCM - 3 times thus far and counting ... cannot but an OEM PC M must buy it remanufactored from less than reputable 3rd party suppliers, electrical wires between door jams fail/frayed, sensors, sensors, sensors. all these failures started occuring around the 90k mile mark ... and have consistently nickel and dimed me all the way to the 141k mark (where i'm currently at). i cannot trust the jeep to go anywhere other than locally in town ... and having paid close attention to the tranny and electrical issues on the '14 JGC (and the fact that chrysler corporate fatcat exec's elimanated the rear flip window, something i use EVERY DAY), i'll be running with the 2017 4runner when it comes in december '16 ...

overall, the jeep has met my needs, but for people who keep their vehicles for a LONG time, dependability/reliability/durability is lacking.

KEEP ROLLING!!!
By Ron T

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

Jdriving my 09 grand cherokee limited 4,7 Flex fuel now & wife driving 2016 Cherokee limited 6cylinder & 99 now at 332,000 miles & still rolling !!!Just changed plugs in 09 but had to replace one of the coil pack but all good

Loved it
By seattlegirrlie

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I was reading other reviews laughing and had to add my own. I LOVED my V8 Limited and wouldn't have given her up for anything. She's a five star ride, handles like a dream, parks great in the city, goes absolutely anywhere off road, handles snow, ice, mud, fallen trees, and flooding with ease. All the gremlins everyone else had, I had too. Seat motor died, window motor died, had to fix the AC, and the rear tail lights never quite worked no matter what you did. All those little mechanical/electrical issues didn't matter. I bought her at 120K and passed 200K before a drunk driver took her out.

4.7L V8 engine (which Edmonds is not giving me an option to choose for the model)