2017 Jeep Compass SUV Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Jeep Compass SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Driver seat horror
By Rich killmer

2017 Jeep Compass SUV Latitude w/Prod. End 02/17 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I have my leased compass 15 months the driver seat is broke for the second time first time took 2 weeks to repair its at dealer right now 5 days already Aug20 dealer blames Chrysler for not having parts to repair,wondering if anyone else is having same problem!

Just over a year of ownership and I like this Jeep
By Gary

2017 Jeep Compass SUV All New Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

My initial review at 9,000 miles was fairly critical. I had some condensation issues in the daytime running light and felt somewhat let down as far as build quality goes. I was not expecting to have these kinds of issues this early. Of course, Jeep fixed the light under warranty. Fast forward a year, and I have to admit to liking this vehicle quite a bit. The fit and finish are good, there are no squeaks or rattles, and everything is working well. The 4-wheel drive capability is nothing short of astonishing. You will not find another vehicle in this class that has a fraction of the off-road capability of the Compass. If that’s at all important to you, then you’ve really only one choice at this size. I absolutely love the rugged styling and I receive many positive comments from random people in parking lots. If I have one complaint, and it’s a big one, it’s the terrible reluctance of the 9-speed to downshift. The transmission is programmed for EPA estimates and not spirited driving. I get around the issue by doing a lot of “manual” shifting with the auto-stick. It’s a little frustrating that Jeep doesn’t add a sport mode for better transmission performance. I’d sacrifice a couple of MPG to not have to manually downshift so often. I keep hoping that Jeep will offer a software update to the transmission to make it less lazy on the downshifts. Come on, FCA! You have the technology and you’d put a lot of smiles on Compass owners’ faces. That said, I really do like this vehicle and believe that its positives easily outweigh its negatives.

Loving this car so far
By Makenzie

2017 Jeep Compass SUV All New Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I love this car! Drives heavy like a luxury vehicle and has a lot of premium finishes but didn't break my budget. Some of the technology features take a little while to get used to and I don't get as great of gas milage as I was expecting (but I rarely drive on the highway and have a hilly commute everyday) but it's been a great choice so far. Everyone that has ridden in the backseat say it's very comfortable and there is lots of room. The cargo space is smaller than I expected but since the back seats fold flat it hasn't been an issue at all.

400 miles on it and regretting it.
By Gerard Kraus

2017 Jeep Compass SUV All New Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Not all compasses are created equal. I opted for undercoating, was given a loaner which was brand new and exact model and it was great. Not so with the one I purchased. Put 400 miles on both the loaner and my car. I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE! The car I got has issues with driver door panel warpage, wind noise/cabin noise and engine/exhaust noise, none present in the loaner vehicle. I could not swap them out.. The gas mileage stinks. 16-17 mpg when advertised average is 25mpg. The muffler is getting noisier and it is brand new. Heard there is a recall on it but nothing official yet. The dealer is evasive and is just plain lying about the noise issues. Not done pursuing remedies with the dealership or Jeep Chrysler. I hope to get some resolution. I am just sick about this. I am disabled and being taken advantage of. The Chrysler Jeep people are helping me with this, but the dealer is "independently owned and operated", which I have heard 100 times. The best we can do is discourage people from buying Jeep as there should not be these problems on a new car. Quality control? What's that?. BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND! In mourning.......

Jeep Compass Trailhawk needs a push up the hill!
By Rich

2017 Jeep Compass SUV All New Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I recently test drove a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk. I wanted a small, all-around SUV that would especially get me up skiing. Took it for my usual test drive up I-70 to see how it would perform on the uphill grade. With the pedal to the metal I could barely manage 70mph. Thought I was going to have to get out and push. Absolutely anemic. This vehicle might work in city traffic and for flat-landers but in the mountains, forget it.