Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Crossing My Fingers
By Colleen

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

So, I just bought my first used car. It's a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I've read Kelley's Blue Book, and the price was right on target. It has 179,000 miles on it. Jeep owners tell me it will still go on and on. I've also read most of these reviews, and they all seem very positive. .The man who sold it told me it just needs a muffler; it is a bit loud. Other than that, it rode well. One owner. It's my first Jeep, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be very happy if I can get at least a year out of it and, hopefully, not spend too much money on it for repairs. But time will tell.

awesome vehicle
By Dunn

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

We bought this 99 cherokee inline 6 back in 2004 with 70,000 miles. Over the years the biggest repair that was needed was the rear main seal replacement at 280,000 miles. Other than that it has been the usual replacement of parts that will eventually wear out with time. The engine has never been stripped down to do an overhaul or replace anything, besides spark plugs and the like. Now at 305,000 miles the engine still sounds the same from when we bought it. The mpg reads 15 but i tested this and found that it is getting 21 in the city. Awesome. Oil change every 3000 miles and other regular maintenance and I believe this engine will go to 400,000 without an overhaul.
People complain about the ride being crappy which is correct, but then you don't buy a jeep for comfort. This vehicle is a true utility truck. And it actually handles quite well in the city.
Jeep designed a great truck with the cherokee and plan on keeping this going for as long as I can. Eventually will restore this back to factory look and feel.

Great vehicle if you can turn a wrench
By Tony

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV

I bought my Jeep kind of knowing it'd be an experience. After a year of owning it I've replaced a lot of components, but I also bought a high mileage Jeep. If you're looking into buying one it's a good purchase. It is my favorite vehicle I've owned despite being less reliable than other cars I've owned.

IT'S A BEAST UNSTOPPABLE TANK
By JEREMIAH

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep, 171 thousand miles on it, no oil leaks or anything interior is great small areas the ceiling liner sags, but solid engine, you start it out just a get up and go, take it off road and it's agile it's quick, I take mine out to the river bed and it just goes, I mean the power and handling is perfect, I've been in lifted chevy's and toyota 4runners my STOCK jeep practically out performs them all,
My only problem is which but my jeeps fault, but for where and how I drive needs a lift in the front especially but other than that it's GREAT

Longest Relationship To Date
By LuckyL1111

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

I bought my 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2WD, 6 cyl, automatic, 4-door from my employer in 2003. It was about to roll over to 100,000 miles, and they wanted to get rid of it. I paid $2500.00 broken into 4 payments. I continued to use it for work travel which was sometimes brutal temps and environments. Whenever I got my per-diem pay for using my Jeep, I would take her into Pep Boys, NLR, AR and give her whatever she needed. In 2015, she rolled over the 200,000 mark. The last 10 years I have cut way back on driving, and have not had the money to put into her care and maintenance, but she has always been true and faithful. The repairs have been few, and the cost of owning her has been a dream. I am recently at the point where I could buy a new car, but instead; I am going to have her completely restored. As I have had many mechanics tell me over the years, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Maybe I am too emotionally attached, but this Jeep has been everything I needed.