2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

A comfortable & practical little SUV
By David M.

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I found myself in need of replacing my last car earlier this year in 2018, and after much hemming and hawing over what to buy, I wound up with a brand new 2017 Tucson SE. I was able to get a fair price on a car that had exactly the options that I wanted, with nothing that I didn't. And, in a color that I liked, and that my wife encouraged; seemed like a win. It has been.
I wanted a smaller SUV for economy, but large enough to be pretty practical. I wanted the technology in the car to be very good - not just 'good enough' and this car has delivered for me. The car has Six speed automatic vs only four or five gears. It also has three modes for the transmission, Normal, Sport or Eco; I've not gotten used to having this. Bluetooth works pretty much flawlessly, which is very important in a state with strict laws regarding cell phone usage while driving. I can get my SiriusXM radio and it works well and is intuitive. Daytime running lamps and automatic headlights, which are a must for me, are there. That the backup camera is much better than what's in my wife's Acura is very satisfying too. I even just recently discovered that if you unlock the car with the remote, and don't open a door within a minute or two, the car will lock itself back up so that you don't forget. Handy.
One of the most impressive things, I think, it the quality of the ride and the quiet in the cabin. The standard 17 inch wheels and tires are a huge plus, and one of the reasons why I didn’t want to upgrade to the Sport trim with the more powerful motor.
And while I don't want to use the warranty, I feel like a company that feels confident enough to offer a 100,000 mile power-train warranty at no additional cost has something to prove to folks who are non-believers. So far, so good.
The biggest issue that I have is that it seems to be under-powered at times. Yeah, it's a little 2.0L four cylinder, so I knew that this could be an issue. I could've stepped up to the 1.6L Turbo motor with the 7 speed dual clutch, but after doing quite a bit of research and reading about the experiences of other people, I decided that the base motor would be a better choice. Overall it has been a better choice, in my opinion. The economy has been better than I expected for how I use the car and how I drive. It doesn't feel under-powered at all times, just sometimes when I am in a hurry to get moving. Sport mode in the transmission seems to help!
Overall, this has been a comfortable ride, that is very practical, pretty economical for what it is, and so far, dead-nuts reliable. All for a very reasonable price. I feel like I made a good choice here. If you test drive a Tuscon, and you like it, then you'll probably like it too.

Dec 2020 cannot come soon enough
By luisa

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Be aware the car looks very nice! but looks are deceiving. i got mine on the beautiful Caribbean blue with the upgraded wheels, cars is spacious and it serves its purpose as a small SUV. Panoramic sunroof is beautiful. Radio works fine as well as the Bluetooth. I has blind spot detector, cross traffic warning, rear view camera, heated front seats, plenty of good pointers to the car. Now onto the thing i HATE about this car, the transmission, its shifts like garbage on low gears it jerks really badly and in occasions after a short stop car wont accelerate right away, it lacks power at is has a small engine for the size of the car. Unfortunately, Hyundai's do NOT hold they resale value so if you really want to trade out of the car early you will be deep on upside down $$$$$. In general its a great looking car with a very ugly power-train.

Tucson: Intro to SUV
By AnnieC623

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

My true love is for a sports car... age and arthritis sent me to a sedan... retiring and moving to a rural area with more severe winters prompted me to an SUV with all wheel drive. The Tucson is the third Hyundai I've owned, but my first SUV, so I opted to lease for two years to test the SUV waters. I was not disappointed. (And as I write this, my lease has ended, and I am trading the 2017 Tucson for a 2019 Santa Fe, as I am looking for more cargo space, and a heftier SUV-"trucky" feel.) There is nothing negative I have to comment about the Tucson. It is a well built, generously appointed (Ultimate package) small SUV, and has served well for the driving I now do. Occasionally, when visiting my kids/grandkids, I would have appreciated a bit more cargo capacity, but for my usual local driving, it was a comfortable and more than adequate vehicle. The all wheel drive feature was absolutely necessary for winter driving, and I had no issues in navigating our local roads or, most important, getting up the incline to leave my driveway! The features on the 2017 Tucson Ultimate package far exceed those found on comparable vehicles of other makes in the same price range. I opted to lease this vehicle as I was unsure if I liked having an SUV. As it turned out, it was more than all right, and I am going for my second SUV lease, as previously noted. I have been a Hyundai owner since 2003, and am satisfied with the vehicle quality vs price, and note that Hyundai overall quality standards have appreciably risen since 2003 (first Hyundai was a 2004 XG350, traded for a 2007 Azera Ltd, needed All/4 wheel drive, but loved that car!) Overall, the Tucson is a terrific small SUV - dependable, comfortable, and reasonably priced.

Trans shifting pooblem and Electrical
By G Phan

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Have been to the dealer within the first two week to complain about shifting. Go to the national safety review saction and do a little reading. Do not buy this car. Electrical cut out on us at night on major highway. Almost got killed.

Dangerous don't buy!!!!
By jag1072

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Eco 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

My Tuscon has been nothing short of a nightmare. From day one it has shifted very very rough, almost stalls out in traffic, and fails to accelerate from a stop. I have almost been hit 3 times due to these malfunctions. All of these are due to a design flaw in the dual clutch system. Hyundai even has a recall TSB (technical service bulletin) out to all of it's dealers regarding these safety issues, yet they deny it. But their service managers freely acknowledge all of these problems the 4 times I have taken it in for them. They say they hear these same complaints over and over again about the Tuscon. If you Google search Hyundai Tuscon dual clutch problems, you will find thousands of the same complaints. This is obviously a dangerous vehicle according to their own tsb.