2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Bought new, so disappointed!
By KristinK

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I had a Hyundai Santa Fe for 11 years- bought it brand new. Loved that car. But when I married my husband who is 6’3” couldn’t fit comfortably. So decided time to get something more comfortable for us. Sold the Santa Fe to my son. Sadly my son crashed that car but I also think it probably saved his life( side note on I loved the Santa Fe). When I went to the dealership I wanted to stick with hyundai because it had been so good for me. Sticker shock! I couldn’t stretch to get another Santa Fe so I turned to the smaller Tuscon. I looked and test drove several and finally decided on purchasing one. Got the car home and was proudly driving it within the first few days and all of a sudden it would not accelerate above 20 miles an hour!! Supposively it wasn’t programmed correctly when it got to the lot so first trip back to the dealership. Fixed that. So on I go driving my car. And like so many I encountered the issues with the engine and the stupid dual clutch. I took it to the shop over and over and the told me it was just the way the car was. I let my 18 year old daughter drive it once, but with so many warnings of don’t pull out if you know you have enough room because this car will not give you get up and go. I didn’t let people drive it as it just was too scary! The last straw came last month when my mom was riding in the car and mentioned she could hear the car shifting. I was fed up. I just bought the car a year ago but this was ridiculous. I was paying on a car that was not a joy to drive. My husband and I traded it in on a Ford Escape Titanium. Before I did, I went back to the dealership and explained that I was unhappy and wanted to see if they could earn my business. Basically it was a well we can sell you another car that cost more. Sadly, I think I am done with Hyundai. My new car is more then I wanted to pay but I have the assurance that it will not lag with acceleration. Hyundai disappointed me. The Tuscon is not a safe car with the dual clutch. I loved the features the car had but can not drive a car I don’t feel is safe. I traded it in with a little over 5800 miles. Lesson learned.

Tuson Review
By Anthony Castiglione

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Engine will hesitate on acceleration from a stop . The dealer service department claim that they all perform the same way. I should add that this was my wifes car and until now I never drove the car. She handled bringing it to service by herself.

Great Ride
By Pat DeRenzo

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This is an amazing vehicle. It drives so well, handles so well and hugs the road. I love the car for so many reasons and the only "fault" is gas mileage. It averages around 20-21 (tops) in the city. I had hoped for closer to 25-26 as indicated on Manufacturer's label.

Disappointed
By Allan Geffon

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

My wife's 2017 Elantra is a remarkable vehicle, and we expected the Tuscon to perform similarly. We had no complaints about fit and finish, comfort and safety features. Having driven one with the 2.0 "lack-of-power plant," our expectation was that the new 1.6 liter turbo would improve overall performance, which it did. However, upon a test drive, the dual clutch 7-speed transmission (available only in the Tuscon Limited and Veloster) produced a hesitation at takeoff, occasionally feeling as if a standard-shift vehicle were started in second gear. An inquiry to the service manager confirmed that this is a quirky characteristic of the power train. That was enough for us to look for a new SUV elsewhere.

Reliable but Cheap
By KBrooks

2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV SE Plus 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The car functions are pretty reliable, but recently the paint has started to peel off leaving silver spots all over my car. I don't know if this is from thin crappy paint or not, but it isn't even a year old yet and has worse paint than my 2008 Saturn Vue. Getting the car looked at tomorrow by the dealer.