2019 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

$22,500

Save as much as $4,794
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

3rd Hyundai and loving it!

Andrew Carter, 01/24/2019
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Hyundai vehicle and I have to say that I love this brand! I feel that Hyundai builds high quality vehicles that are excellent values. I have the 2018 SE model, Jet Black (Gorgeous) with the black interior. I find that the exterior is beautiful from any angle. I especially love the front end, it looks premium without the premium price. The interior is spacious and comfortable and quiet. My only knock on it is that there is too much plastic, I get that I have the base model but they could have used some slightly nicer materials, nonetheless the gauges are big, bright, and easy to read. I love the 7” touch screen and the Apple Car play, a great feature that comes standard. I also enjoy the rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. For just over $23,000 this is a fantastic value! I don’t understand the people that complain about the 2.4L engine, they say it’s underpowered and lackluster. I don’t agree the engine is smooth and powerful and I never have any issues with merging onto the highway or passing. It gets good gas mileages (mid 20’s) around town and even better on the highway. The engine is just fine. It rides smooth and quiet and it handles well. So, I can honestly say that for anyone looking for a family sedan, don’t pass the Hyundai Sonata by, you’ll regret it.

Wow, have the mid range cars come a long way!

sooththetruth, 04/25/2019
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drove this car as a loaner while my 2010 Hyundai Genesis was being serviced, and I kept it for 3 days, this is not an ownership review. Nevertheless, I have been impressed by this vehicle, and I am aware that it is the base model. What I noticed right away is the accuracy of the steering. i had to drive 80 miles one way to the dealership for 120 K service on my car, and there is no doubt that this car was easy to drive on the highway. Tracking was superior to that of my vehicle ( that is 10 years old), but I also compare the steering to that of a 2006 Passat I had owned with surprisingly good highway manners, and i find this Sonata better in this regard. Clearly, I value highway tracking more than most people. The noise inside the car was not luxury car level, but was good enough. The controls were instantly intuitive, and the climate control easy to get to perfect settings. I found the seats comfortable, the settings of mirrors, steering wheel, and seat all very easy to accomplish in seconds. I liked the lane change warnings, that work only when you use your turn signals . I never heard a lane departure warning in my drive, but it seemed to me the car was always glued to the center of the lane. The Edmunds review thought the power from the base engine was anemic, but I agree with the very first reviewer that I felt the acceleration was adequate for my needs, and I never felt I was wanting more, though I suspect that if I were climbing mountains i would want the better engine. Back seat room was tested only while parked, and I found it good enough for my 5'10" height, sitting behind myself. Trunk space was remarkably generous, and compared to a previous Audi A6 I had with millions of electronics taking up the trunk space, the trunk seemed HUGE. I could lay two sets of golf clubs along the rear trunk easily without having to take out the longer clubs or angle the bags into the trunk. I did not try to put in 4 bags. My only mild criticism is that the doors do not swing shut easily. They have to be pushed to close with more energy than I am used to. I had a 1986 Acura Legend Coupe, and I was really proud of that car when I bought it. This base Sonata has more power, more comfort, better steering, more space in the back seat ( not in the trunk), and is wildly more efficient . It is just as quiet as the Legend was. I am comparing a 30 year old luxury vehicle to a base 2019 vehicle, and ironically the Legend COST MORE in dollars in 1986 than this Sonata. This Sonata has floored me, cars are so much better, so much more comfortable, safer, more efficient than they were. This may seem obvious, but it brought the message home. Honda Accord, Mazda 6, and Toyota Camry are all rated above this vehicle, but I would have to drive them to believe it. Then, there's that warranty. I would say "Wow" but in my 2010 Genesis I just about never had to use the warranty. Nothing better than a car that doesn't need a warranty because it doesn't break. Finally, apropos nothing, I think that the 16 inch tires on the Sonata were ugly, but I just can't believe how excellent the ride in the Sonata is. I think that smaller tires are victims of style, but are underrated for their lighter weight and better ride.

Never thought I’d Own a Sonata

Robert L., 02/23/2019
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great value and extras for the money. Can’t beat the warranty 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper. Good looking car with all the tech I could want. Only thing that could be better is the rear back up camera, not great resolution also would be nice to have the over head view for parking. Would definitely consider this brand for my next car if it remains reliable.

Ad
Build Your SONATA

Base 2.4 engine works just fine!

Brandon F, 09/01/2019
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Comments about lackluster base engine are unfounded in my book. I never hurt for power when I need it. Nice to have a read 6 speed instead of a droning cvt.

Good value

Hyundai driver, 06/28/2019
Limited 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I got the car before the 2020 shows up at the dealers, and got a good lease deal. The features included at the price range is excellent. The ride is quiet, and smooth. Even though sporty sedan, suspensions are soft enough for a comfortable ride. Seats are great, safety features with LKA and adaptive cruise control are great. I am glad this is a stop and go cruise control, works perfectly in traffic. I love the turbo engine in the sport mode, reminds me of my past volvo s60. Even with the child seat, a lot of space in the back seat. The downside is the quality of materials when compared to accord and mazda 6, but if you get a good deal you will quickly forget about that. Also Hyundai skipped the rain sensing wipers even at the top level.

Back to Sonata

S Lyon, 05/18/2019
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very nice design for 2019. Great new technology with blue link included for term of my lease 3 years. Had 2 Sonatas in previous years and then a Santa Fe, but now back to a Sonata.j

Second one I’ve purchased

Mary ODonohoe, 01/31/2019
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First one good car why I bought second one looks even better quality of seat could be better

Third 2019 Sonata Limited Disappointing!!!

Shawnee Reid, 11/20/2019
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Hyundai has lowered the quality disguised as upgrades. I traded my 2015 Limited for a 2019. Nothing but problems from day one, from lights, rattle in dash, severe squeaking in brakes. Brake issue took three times to resolve. We are still not sure they are fixed. Tried to file claim, Hyundai rude and inefficient and offered no solution. Lower quality, higher price. Sadly after 10 years of purchasing Hyundai, we will never buy again.

Onward and upward

Eileen, 03/15/2019
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great deal but front seat for long trips lack cushion. Great for around town but would trade it if I was still working. A lot of cars have put cheaper seats to save on price and gas. Should not have to buy a cushion. Otherwise great car.

Great car

Xrayfrank, 10/02/2019
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd sonata-the SEL with the tech package and i couldnt be happier-a lot of great features

Third one for me!!

Terri P (Syracuse NY) , 10/19/2019
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First I’ll say is I trust the brand and commitment behind it. I’ve had a 2009, 2011 and now the 2019 sonata sport limited. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t taken care or by Hyaundai. The latest was an engine problem with my ‘11. The engine seized at 71,000 miles. I was horrified. But even out of warranty Hyaundai recognizes their errors and replaced it with a new engine. I would have driven that car till it fell out from under me. Problem is I walked the lot the day I went back to pick my car up and fell in love with the new 2019 Scarlet Red Sonata Sport. Took her for a test drive and was IN LOVE! Front to back and top to bottom there’s enough technology and Luxury to turn heads. After a generous trade in offer I handed over my keys and drove off into the autumn sunset.

Nice car but not quite there

JHugh, 12/03/2018
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Writing this after a test drive. The car looks great on the outside. The first thing I noticed was how comfy the seats were, loved them. However, the steering was the worst of all the cars I've tested (felt like a car from the 80's). The interior while clean, looks dated; however, it was the base model. I also noticed a delay in acceleration (2.4L was tested), which felt slow to me.

first time sonata owner

herb, 09/28/2019
Limited 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

all i can say after owning a 2014 elantra sport,a 2016 veloster turbo,and a 2018 elantra sport turbo,is WOW..the red pearl is gorgeous.the safety features are fantastic.the smell of the leather inside,and the way everything works with precision is nothing short of amazing.

Awesome car and great Value

Love my Sonata!, 12/06/2019
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great warranty and road side service package. Great suspension Great value!

I’m loving it

Kathleen lillie, 08/09/2019

Great ride

lacks lot of quality design

Larry, 03/12/2019
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

key fob is junk, has small pin to release key from fob when in pocket pin can get pushed & when taking fob out of pocket fob will fall off key & get lost. No friction between key & fob, supposed to pull fob from key, fob will fall off key by its on weight. Wound up putting duct tape around top to bottom to hold other fob together Hyundai knows this but doesn't care at least one fob should be covered under warranty. To get new one dealer needs to be paid for it before ordering I have to drive 100 mile round trip just to pay for ordering, is $304 plus amt. to program. Poor seats as cant raise seat up enough & front edge off drivers seat cant be adj. so it wont hit behind knees for 6ft driver. Poor tires for all weather type, dry weather only before buying tell dealer to replace tires with quality ones & pay difference, lack of ground clearance. Lower area of rear quarter panels are cheap plastic type material easily broken & expensive. Manuals are written in an Korean manner that is hard to understand & confusing, to many manuals for vehicle & take up to much room in glove box. Honda Accord may get better ratings but is a lot more expensive. You have to fall into car & is hard to get out of, but is same for most newer makes. If can afford better buy is Santa Fe if wanting Hyundai. Don't buy interior & exterior protectant is expensive, if washed & waxed is waste of money & looks like a glue covering on exterior & is hard to get off when waxing, smears. Sept.2019 review update: No real change very uncomfortable car to drive, felt okay at dealer but not later. Suggest renting a same car before buying & drive few days. Family member has 2013 Sonata & seats are very comfortable, cant put seat actuators in 2019 BUMMER. All of like cars you have to fall into very uncomfortable. Seems manufactures went for what they want not customers. Found Blue Link feature is a JOKE. The Blue Link feature is supposed to be for along time but ends in 3months & I paid for it. Windshield on both upper sides basically about 3 inches from each edge is poorly made has waves in it, in winter cant get wipers to clean windshield & ice forms & poor defroster cant melt it. Guess again Hyundai don't care about quality of vehicle. Have called two dealers & Hyundai about small blue lite close to switch that operates sunroof, don't know any thing about it, seems to lack any care for customer after sale. Would love to get rid of it, wished hadn't bought. Noted in Consumer Report isn't even listed as any rating for cars?????.

Hate this car

Marte, 04/03/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded our 2015 Sonata for a 2019 Sonata! No Sirius on this model that was on the same 2015 model. My phone now has to be plugged in to use the hands free calling and when I do place a call, does not show up on screen if I have multiple people with the same name!!! If I had realized all of the good things they Hyundai took put, I would not have purchased this vehicle. Never again.

Not Happy

Anthony G, 04/07/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had issues with this car with only 300 miles on the odometer. Particularly vibration when driving. Getting in and out of the car is difficult for taller people, and the styling is behind the competition in my opinion.

Surprising

Mike, 01/11/2020
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Nice ride, great technology, great gas mileage, bright lights & price

AMAZING car!!!!

Shannon H, 02/01/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had this type of car as a rental once and I told my husband if we ever get a new car I want one of these!! It runs so smoothly, gets awesome gas mileage and fits my whole family without being squished! We just love our Sonata!!

51050