Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Buyer beware..suspension death trap
By Shane

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This model through 2013 have a dangerous side to it. the handling over small imperfection in the road and road being wet make handling this vehicle extremely dangerous for any novice driver. Those of us who have driven for a good period of time will realize fairly quickly this is an issue. the rear end will kick to either side at speeds as low as 30 mph over any road imperfection outside of smooth roads. When the roads become wet it becomes a death machine so bad that you would think you lost a tire ( I actually got out of the vehicle to inspect the tires several times when I first encountered this). Be very aware of this when purchasing these vehicles. Otherwise outside of a small metal loss of steering control death cage it is a perfectly fine vehicle.

Poor Quality Seats for little people
By Daph

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra and the driver's seat can be pulled up or back for adjustment or it can be pumped up but not high enough for a small (4'11") driver to see over the steering wheel for the last 2 years I have been driving while sitting on a pillow and it's very uncomfortable. I mentioned this to the salesman and he told me to put some specially-made pedals on my acceleration and my break. It has nothing to do with specially made instruments it has to do with the quality of the seats and how they are made when someone sits in them. Let me go make seats for Hyundai and show them what the heck I mean. If I could get rid of this car or drive it off the bridge I would. No more Hyundai for me. My husband has a 2013 Sonata and it is electrically adjusted the seat now that's how it should be.

Hyundai 2011
By vickie pavlovich

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Its a classy car. Mechanics like it overall. Great on road trips and around town. Lots of room for passengers and cargo. Great gas mileage.

Great car
By Mike Walbert

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Love it. Low maintenance and repairs. Nothing but tires, oil changes and brakes. Couldn't ask for more.

About ready to hit 200,00 miles. Just replaced battery and serpentine belt. Put new plugs in at 190,000. Overall mileage is about 28 milers/gal. I'd buy another in a second.

I Will Never Buy Another Hyundai
By Jason

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I drove my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited for 188,000 miles. I finally traded it in in May 2017. This was primarily my business vehicle for sales. I had lots of intermittent issues from pretty much day one. First, the inhibitor/neutral safety switch completely went out at least once every 12 to 24 months. I replaced three of them. Thankfully, I'm very mechanically inclined, so I didn't have to pay a dealer to fix it. It's an easily accessible part that costs $40 at the dealer, who just so happened to keep them in stock (shocker). Bad part is that you never knew when the car wouldn't start as a result of this switch malfunctioning. Another issue is the power steering. It would quit working at random. Again, this issue started within 6 months of me buying the new car. I'd have to pull over & restart the car. Then it'd start working again. Thirdly, the brakes SUCK! If it was raining it was never a good idea to do a sudden stop. The brakes would lock up & the car would go slipping & sliding. Very dangerous. Fourth, the steering wheel material starting peeling off after about 40,000 miles. It looked like crap. Fifth, there was a very rare issue of the fuel pump ground wire not being properly grounded. This stopped the car from starting a couple times. I had to remove the rear seat & grind the paint off the car where the ground wire made contact with the metal body of the car & tighten it properly. Sixth, the car kept blowing bulbs in the rear tailights. I replaced several. Seems like an electrical issue (one of many). Seventh, my car was a part of the fuel mileage reimbursement (Hyundai got sued for lying about the fuel mileage on this model). My last reimbursement took a whole year to get. I had to bug them several times before I finally got it. Lastly, Hyundai's customer service SUCKS! Don't call their customer relations department about anything because they will not help you. Also, many of their dealers are horrible. I am glad this car is GONE! Don't get me wrong, I got almost 200,000 miles out of it. But, it was not without dealing with a lot of problems. If I wouldn't have been a very mechanically inclined person this car would have cost me hundreds of dollars in repairs minimum. Do yourself a favor & avoid Hyundai or Kia. I have family members who own them & they have a ton of issues too.