Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 377 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Does what you want for very little money
By Kevin

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For 15 years this was my daily commuter sitting outside in all weather. It just kept doing the job day after day. In 15 years, one unusual repair (replaced transmission). Solid, no-nonsense, inexpensive car.

You cannot break this car!
By Bo

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After a 2002 Elantra was totaled in 2003 (at about 10k miles on it), I decided to purchase a 2003 Elantra and have been using it as a commuter since then. Other than changing oils, breaks, and tires, virtually no other maintenance was required. It has now over 180k miles, and I recently drained tranny fluid and replaced with one gallon of synthetic SP-III Supertech bought from Walmart. It was once rear-ended with Honda Odyssey of which front bumper was totally disintegrated but no noticeable damage on my car. I hit a deer at a low speed but it jumped back up and ran into the left-rear door and dented a little. Well, timing belt has never been changed and I am going to change when the weather gets warmer. In overall, I have been so blessed with this car but am getting tired. I don’t think this car does not want to go yet. I am sure it will last beyond 250k easily. I have a 2011 Sonata GLS, a 2017 Sonata Sport, and a 2017 Santa Fe Sport and they are all good and reliable.

Had two of these one died other still runs
By Paul

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought one for my wife (now x) that one ran good up to 145k when it blew up from her not taking care oh it. The second one my mother bought at the same time and dealer both new. That one only has 66k after 14 yrs,she got tired of it and bought a new so I brought it down to plant city fl with me. And this little car runs like the day I bought it with her, I hope I can get another 5 years out of it. This car still is mechanically perfect I hit a large pot hole and damaged the right front strut got a new quick strut from Amazon for 63.00 put it and kept going this really is a dependable little car

Elantra GT Hatchback-2003
By Diane

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have no complaints about my car at all! I bought it about 6 years ago, with 22,000. miles on it, and still love it! It's sporty, built well, and reliable. She now has 103,000. and hopefully will go a lot longer. There have been some repairs in the past couple of years (clutch, brake calipers, valve cover gasket), but all I consider routine maint. (and cheaper than car payments). Did I mention, it's a cute little car?? It is! Mine still looks new, and I'd buy it again.

Owned 4.5 years
By pencemen

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my blue 2003 Elantra GT hatchback with 65,000 miles, and it now has 135,000 miles. The leather seats and sunroof give you amenities not seen in cheaper vehicles like this one. Hyundai parts are easy to find, and repairs are cheap. I bought this car just before I went to college to use while in school. I replaced the audio unit with an updated one, so I could play pandora and hook in my maps. It comfortably seats 4, but fits 5 people. The size of the trunk is nice and not typically seen in hatchbacks. I've replaced a section of the exhaust pipe for $200, valve cover gasket $25, brake caliper assembly $110. I can foresee that I will have to replace the timing belt and struts soon.

- Leather seats - Sunroof - 4-wheel disc brakes - Ride comfort - cheap repair costs

- Larger wheel size (17") - Updated Audio unit with aux in - Hood Bra (black)