Used 1996 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

$777 - $1,834

Used Elantra for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

96 Elantra Wagon

JD2618, 03/06/2004

Overall the vehicle performed well. It was reasonable on gas. It seemed to require more brake maintence than normal. The extended warranty was worth the cost as several items needed to be replaced before 75,000 Scheduled regular maintenance by Hyundai is pricey, especially the timing belt. The Dealer fixed items at no charge that were no longer under warranty for Good- Will. I would recommend the purchase of an Elantra if you get rebates and a good price.

A great little car for the money!

Kalikiano, 12/28/2009

I bought my 1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS wagon used (in 2008), with 117,000 miles on it. Since I wanted a white paint exterior, I really had to search a bit until I found one (in Arizona). I've put about 3000 miles on it so far and it has performed like a champ. Lots of room for myself, wife, and two large dogs. Well appointed, comfortable, with excellent cooling/heating capabilities and superb 360 degree visibility, I soon grew quite fond of this modest but sturdy little Korean automobile. With excellent fuel economy (27-30 mpg average for both city and highway), it's really the frugal person's Honda Civic: high quality for low cost. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good used car!

A very economical, fun little vehicle!

Kalikiano, 03/18/2010

Bought my 1996 white Elantra GLS wagon from an Arizona dealer. It had 118,000 miles on it and was in excellent overall condition (well maintained by a NASA engineer) at the time. I have been quite pleased with this vehicle. Fuel economy excellent (30+ mpg) and reliability solid. Only problem I had was with the 'check engine light' coming on, but adjustment at the local Hyundai dealer resolved that and the car passed California emissions tests quite easily. The car's great fun, handles well, and extremely practical for passenger or cargo use. A few squeaks due to age, but they just add personality to what has proven to be a very satisfactory purchase. I'd buy another Hyundai in future!

Stupid emissions!

warriorpoet78, 07/19/2002

Elantra 4 door with 86 K bought it used, have had nothing but problems ever since. Ther pathetic engine is clean but makes it hard to accelerate at a stop sign. And those wonderful emissions controls that make the engine run like a deisel and not to mention the awesome(note sarcasm) blinking check engine light. Interior nice, though, reliable transportation, gas mileage lower that what specs say, 20-25 city, 25 highway max!

hyundai eval

ku rainbow, 08/25/2002

This little vehicle ssurprised me as being an off-brand, I was a little skeptical. However, I really liked the styling & the price range for a second run around town car. It gets over 400 miles to a tank & is spacious for all my cargo needs.

Great Little Car

Bcar03, 09/19/2002

This was my third Hyundai. Great little car for the money. I now have 120,000 trouble free miles on it. I hate to say it, but its time for a new one. I am going to purchase a 2002 Hyundai Elantra.

My Hundai

mikewomack, 09/21/2002

Reliable small car. This is my third Hyundai and the best overall. I had a problem with the transmission early on but Hyundai evantually replaced it and it has been humming along ever since. Other than normal wear and tear I haven't had many problems, and I am one who doesn't believe in expensive 25, 50 etc. services. As someone said recently...Hyundai's can no longer be criticized as cheap cars.

Fun piece of junk

umm_bacon, 01/08/2003

I got this car used from a family friend, and have had a love hate relationship with it ever since. The car is very fun to drive, it being a 5 speed manual, but everything on it except the engine is crap. Literally every creature comfort has broken on this car: the sun roof, power windows, interior door handles x2, head liner, plastic molding, weather stripping, etc. Aside from the numerous problems with the unessentials (everything but the engine) I have loved every minute of owning this car. I would recomend one for a high school students first car.

Nice little car

Alex1, 08/29/2003

Bought it used, had it for almost 3 years, about 80k now. Pretty happy so far. Relatively fun to drive, stable on the highway, fast, roomy. Mostly Minor problems and maintanance, but parts for Huyndai are pretty expensive. Overrall, a very nice car, but not as cheap to maintain as the price may suggest.

Keeps on Going

theJackal99, 06/25/2005

I have over 180,000 on my 1996 Elantra and it just keeps on going. I've never had to do any major work on it. The paint and exhaust system on the car, however, could use some improvements. Very easy to scratch. The interior could be improved. But again, mechinacally it is awsome.

Good Commuter Car

Broadway, 12/20/2006

Have put on 100-140 miles daily for for almost 8 years of use. Now have 279K on vehical. Major service include refurbished AT tranny at 147k ($1300) and recent water pump ($450) plus timing belt service, used power steering pump,gas filter,2 radiator fan motors,3rd set of tires (90K ea) Have not replaced alternator,muffler,or injector servicing. Check engine light has been on for 100k now. Have crack low on exhaust manifold but still get 35 to 38 mpg freeway,combo 30-33. Still no oil,tranny leaks...amazing! All my previous American cars have messed up my garage!

Pleasantly surprised!!

JB in NJ, 06/04/2003

Car has done us well as we have over 125,000 miles now. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and the car has reciprocated. Only problems have been with the check engine light coming on (several recalls and a new gas cap). Have only replaced the clutch once and the brakes once or twice. Recently had to replace the wiper motor and window regulator at about $200 each, but that's been the only problems. Just bought a 2003 Santa Fe based upon our favorable experience with this car.

96 Elantra great car

MJA, 03/28/2002

A trouble-free, economical car. the best economy car I have owned.

51050